OF GAMES, REPRESENTATION, AND WOMEN'S CHEEKBONES

Yeah stop attacking one another and talking shit and focus on the topics brought up. I hate to bring myself up as some sort of example but I brought up a couple of perfectly great talking points for folks to latch onto.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
The problem is everyone's gone so far off-topic its ridiculous.

Like I could waltz in here and make a shitty advertising post and no-one called me out on it.

I understand the mods would like to be seen as facilitating discussion, but i dont see why they shouldnt call for a separate catch-all thread for, uh, social justice issues (and yes, why not use a Slack channel for that?), rather than this clusterfuck of a topic that is actually upsetting many of the members of this forum.

At the very least the title of this thread could be changed to something a bit more general.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Yellow Magic
I understand the mods would like to be seen as facilitating discussion, but i dont see why they shouldnt call for a separate catch-all thread for, uh, social justice issues (and yes, why not use a Slack channel for that?), rather than this clusterfuck of a topic that is actually upsetting many of the members of this forum.

At the very least the title of this thread could be changed to something a bit more general.

This is a thread about representation of women and transgender people in games and media. The current topics of conversation are perfectly in keeping with that.

Anyone who is feeling upset or attacked by this thread may feel free to PM me with your concerns, even if you just want to yell at me. It will be off the record and will not affect your standing on the site in anyway.
Your decision making when it comes to this topic seems to be compromised. I can see that you're at least trying to be neutral but when some people that have certain opinions can say basically whatever they want and others get told off for small things, you're not being very neutral. People will probably tell me how wrong I am (guess who will?), but that's the feeling I'm getting. That's my concern.

Edit: Also that this thread isn't closed because it's just a shitflinging contest and all it does is create bad blood.
Solitayre
author=SnowOwl
Edit: Also that this thread isn't closed because it's just a shitflinging contest and all it does is create bad blood.

Some people are still trying to learn and gain insight from this topic. I am earnestly sorry that you do not feel there is anything valuable in this conversation for you, but please don't try to shutter it.
author=Solitayre
author=SnowOwl
Some people are still trying to learn and gain insight from this topic. I am earnestly sorry that you do not feel there is anything valuable in this conversation for you, but please don't try to shutter it.

You're right, I'm learning alot about how to insult people while still not being direct enough that a mod takes action. Very educational.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I am personally excited to see more creative insults out there. We need less reliance on generic 15-year-old-mind insults, like saying someone is black or a woman, and more unique, clever insults, possibly of the Shakespearean variety.

"You base, dunghill villain. You infect my eyes. I wish you were a dog. I was looking for a fool, and I found you."

Any idiot can call someone else on the internet a gay virgin. If you're going to insult someone and mean it, at least put some frickin' effort into it, you abecedarians, you boring neophytes, you trogs!

Real talk though, slurs are pretty boring and lazy as well as cheaply offensive. And calling out someone for unintentionally using a slur isn't (and shouldn't be) an insult, it should be informative. If they're doing it on purpose, though, insult away IMO.

Curses are the way to go for me, personally. Using a witty insult that's built of cleverness and vintage isn't quite as stinging and satisfying as just calling them a fuckface.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
True. It's hard to come up with some clever like that on the fly, and "hey asshole" is pretty reliable.

EDIT: I have a friend of mine who falls back to "witless sack of shit" pretty often and it rolls off the tongue really nicely.
I got called out for, apparently, White Knighting just last night. Because I stood up for a woman who people were saying should kill herself, that she was a slut and a bitch and shouldn't be allowed to play with her friends anymore online. Her crime? A squeaky voice and winning a challenge for her team.

I just laughed it off and used some of my more creative curses to put the pathetic asshole in his place - not that it will change his mind any or shut him up. People are horrible pieces of trash, sometimes.

My favourites tend to be gender-neutral. Fuckwitted ass-sucker, peurile little shitstain, cum-guzzling turd-licker... and many more in between. It's all about the imagery.

Though I like to fall back on fuckwit, asshole, idiotic, pathetic (people haaaate being called pathetic) and stupid (people also hate being told they're stupid. A lot. They'll go looking in dictionaries to 'prove' their intelligence. It's hilarious.)
Hey now, a cum-guzzler can be a great trait in certain contexts.
Solitayre
This is coming closer to making me want to lock the topic than anything that came beforehand.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seriously though, if the topic has run its course, just lock it and be done with it. The entire schtick of a mod or someone else popping their head in every few pages and going "this topic is this close to being locked" is honestly distracting and disruptive at this point.

This topic hasn't been that bad for being over 27 pages, and I and a few other people have thrown up some pretty decent posts for people to chew on and discuss, so the seed of conversation is there. If at any point the moderation team doesn't think we're adult enough to discuss anything further and would rather we go back to our favorite Naruto episodes or whatever, just dump the topic and be done with it.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to create some rules for how we go about discussions like these.
Perhaps that might be a good idea, I'm not sure what we already have in place.

The average age of someone here is probably solidly higher than the community was a number of years ago (and probably higher at RMN than the average RM community, period), and I think this place should be a welcoming place with a solid precedent of being able to have mature, adult discussions of all sorts of issues besides "WUTS YOUR FAVORITE ANIME????"

There are a lot of intelligent people here and I'd hate to see them scared away by a less than solid framework for adult shit.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Feldschlacht IV
Perhaps that might be a good idea, I'm not sure what we already have in place.

The average age of someone here is probably solidly higher than the community was a number of years ago (and probably higher at RMN than the average RM community, period), and I think this place should be a welcoming place with a solid precedent of being able to have mature, adult discussions of all sorts of issues besides "WUTS YOUR FAVORITE ANIME????"

There are a lot of intelligent people here and I'd hate to see them scared away by a less than solid framework for adult shit.

The problem is there is no way to actually keep the idiots who derail topics like this out. Thus, controversial subjects like these tend to turn into banter-fests that make the community as a whole look bad.

Keep in mind, I'm not against these discussions. They are insightful when you keep things civil, but the moment you get guys who directly insult someone else and completely misrepresenting arguments to fill some shitty agenda does the whole thing become a shitfest.

You'd hate to have intelligent people scared away by a less-than solid framework for "adult shit", but how are you not hating that just about everyone else on this board is scared away by these topics?
It would be useful to have a framework of what's acceptable behavior and what meaningful dissent actually is.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Solitayre
This is coming closer to making me want to lock the topic than anything that came beforehand.

The most equal parts applicable and offensive thing to post now is a large picture of a certain tired meme of the "DO IT ______" variety. If we go that far, lock away.

We're trying to be reasonable and have an actual discussion, but unrepentant assholes won't let us. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯