CHINA LIFTING NATIONWIDE CONSOLE GAMING BAN

Pages: 1
Since 2000, console makers have been banned from producing and selling gaming consoles in China. This is about to change.

Honestly, I didn't even know this was a thing, and it could probably partially account for the big dent in console sales worldwide over the past few years. It's good to see gaming enter another market again, though. Thoughts?

EDIT: A friend of mine went (and still lives) in China to teach English after college, and he confirmed that this was indeed a thing, and he had to more or less smuggle his PS2 in.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
This is good news!

I'm surprised about the original reason for the ban, though. I thought it had less to do with "negative effects with youth development" and more out of spite for Japan. They still manage to get PC and mobile games, though, so I think it was natural for this to come along.
khazga
Perpetual Nuisance Machine
Interesting. People are so tied to their mobile phones in China that I frequently saw people walking around with power bricks to keep them charged. I'm sure there's an enormous market for consoles.

I'm anticipating a huge wave of cheap knock-off consoles to begin hitting markets faster than you can say "Ultimate Supertime Fun Comptuper 2000".
I was at taiwan awhile back and remember buying Hokuto No Ken for the DS but can't remember for the life of me if there were any tv console games. I mean probably since taiwan isn't exactly china (but still sorta is). But since my copy of HnK was in japanese i've always wondered if people in taiwan just play in that language since forever. Though the reality of it is many gamers there just play f2p games and mmos.
Pages: 1