[RM2K3] USING PICTURES WITH PANORAMAS FOR MAPS

Pages: 1
As the title states, I've been trying my best to do a little "Parallax Mapping" with RM2k3 (the official English release). I've used the 2kdev tool to make panoramas of my maps, but doing the upper layers is frustrating. I'm using pictures for my bigger more elaborate objects but I can't seem to get them to stay put, or put them in the right place. Even when I select the "scroll with map" option.

I've searched for tutorials on this issue but most aren't as thorough as I'd like . (probably owing to the programs age) , are in another language, or are for another maker entirely. They also either focus too much on the mapping side of things without getting into the technical details. And when they do , they're usually speaking to someone who understands the program much better than I do.

Basically I would like to to know how to properly place a picture by getting the right coordinates (there has to be a better way than guessing) And how to lock that picture in place so that it's not stuck "on top" of the hero.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also if you can point me to a tutorial on this subject I may have missed, even better. And hell, if this is actually impossible, well let me know that as well...
Make them the same size as the map, set to 0,0. Should stick just fine.

If not, try making an event and having a parallel process constantly 'sticking' the picture to that event.
author=Liberty
Make them the same size as the map, set to 0,0. Should stick just fine.

Thanks for replying so quickly! I actually tried that first one already. Made double sure they were the same size and set the coordinates to 0, 0 but it still anchors to the player.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I confess I'm kinda newish to the program. The only time I've done this sort of mapping was on VX ACE

author=Liberty
If not, try making an event and having a parallel process constantly 'sticking' the picture to that event.

This ... I have no Idea how to do.

**EDIT** I think I should have mentioned this earlier, but I'm trying to do this with a map that's larger than 320x 240. Is this possible?
Try unticking scroll with map. Otherwise, what liberty is suggesting is creating a parallel process event that constantly refreshes the image. I feel this might create undesirable jittery effects. But to try this, create a map event, set to parallel processing. Under the event commands have it either show picture or move picture to desired coordinates. Show picture commands may lag the map so use only if move picture doesnt work. After that, set two or three 0.0 waits. It seems silly, but 0.0 wait commands actually count for a hundredth of a second or somethin like that, it will help reduce potential lag from a constantly looping event that is asking rm2k3 to redraw an image on screen.

Hope this helps. I feel like there is a much more efficient method but I havrnt messed with pictures in rm2k3 in a while. Rest assured, it can be done. Ive seen it before.
Okay I got it now. I sorta combined what you guys said. I used Variables to lock/ center the image to the event, and that gave me a good starting point. I then used that x variable to sort of nudge the picture in place as it was off by 8 pixels.

And what Liberty said in the beginning works fine for overlays that don't have to scroll with the screen. So I'm using both. I don't know if this is the most efficient method but I'm not getting any lag, just the usual 2k3 "pixel shredding"

For anyone interested here's what it looks like

And here are some test images (Please don't mind the sloppy mapping and WIP tiles)

Thanks a ton guys! I really appreciate it
Pages: 1