DOES ANYONE LIKE DRAGON QUEST?

Pages: first 12 next last
DOES ANYONE HERE LIKE DRAGON QUEST?

I love this series, it was one of the first few RPGs I ever picked up when I was a wee little kid. My first foray into Dragon Warrior VII imbued in me a craving for adventure that would stick with me for the rest of my life.

Admittedly, I have found the games rather hard (because I usually like to conserve my MP fiercely), but they still remain one of my favorite franchises.

Dragon Warrior Monsters is super amazing too.
Slimes are great.

I love this game.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I tried very hard to like dragon quest back when i was a young kid since it was one of the few games i had, but i could never progress very far because often there is no indication of where to go next in the world map, and aimlessly wandering around getting my health slowly chipped away without a semblance of going anywhere until i was killed without having found the next location only ended up stressing me out.
Kentona, who administrates this site, has made a few successful Dragon Quest clones.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The first game... Not so much but I kind of appreciate its deliberate design and focus on exploration.

But I've had a blast with Dragon Quest 3, Rocket Slime, Swords and 9.
I'm not super fond of it, honestly? Dragon Quest III is still kind of my go-to RPG for unwinding with something simple and repetitive, but the more recent titles seem to have just about the same amount of inbuilt grinding, which... isn't really what I go for with recently-made RPGs! trying to localize the pun-heavy dialogue often comes off awkward to me, as well -- I don't know if they seem any more natural in the original script, but having every enemy or town name be some strained joke or rhyme wears on me a bit, you know?

that said? III is still super nice. I like it a lot.
I've had the chance to play a few of these games and I've found them to all be enjoyable. I've always loved the artwork, the classic sound effects, and the interface is friendly for someone who doesn't get into super in-depth RPGs. The plot line may not be Final Fantasy, or anything, but I've always found the stories to be interesting and satisfying, and in many cases, touching.

'Sentinels of the Starry Skies' is a simply amazing installment, but my favorite goes to 'Journey of the Cursed King'. I would play that game for hours on end most everytime I got the chance. Unfortunately, I got to the end of the game and never finished it.
unity
You're magical to me.
I love Dragon Quest! Good old Dragon Quest 1 on the NES (called Dragon Warrior at the time for legal reasons) was my first RPG!

DQ3 is still one of the best "build your own party" RPGs ever IMO. DQ4 was amazing. I didn't get into 5 and 6 until they were re-released for hand-held, but I found them enjoyable. I somehow played DQ7 all the way to the end, but in retrospect, it was a pretty weak link in the series. DQ8 was really neat and all, but I still haven't finished it (I pick it up and play some more every now and then) and DQ9 was an unforgettable experience that I shared with my friends and was totally blown away.

So yeah, I like the series a lot. Do I agree that it's pretty repetitive and doesn't innovate as much as it could? Certainly. It's flawed, sure, but I still love it.
The games have a charm to them, especially V since it was at first a little boy going on adventures. I really can't get into the DQ games, the only one I've bothered to beat was the original Dragon Quest(Warrior) Remake on GBC, and DQ9. I love the Dragon Quest Monster games though, they were better than pokemon to me even while in my pokemon phase.

My favorite part of the game is when everything is simple, you have your slimes, a stick, and maybe a heal spell. Feels really good to get that one upgrade that makes everything feel different. Though always further in it doesn't feel as magical.
As for me, I played, finished and LOVED Dragon Quest 8. From beggining to end, it never stopped being fun! Sadly, I didn't felt like grinding that much in order to get the true ending... :(

(I still know what happens though. :P)

I've been playing Dragon Quest 9, and as far as I played, it's setting up to be just as good as 8, maybe even more! But I have to find some time to continue it, because I have many other games that have been occupying my time. XD
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=Nivlacart
DOES ANYONE HERE LIKE DRAGON QUEST?

Someone just turned on the Kentona Signal!

Dragon Quest is pretty cool. I think that the original should mostly be appreciated for establishing the jrpg formula rather than being an awesome game in and of itself. Dragon Quest since then has been more about expanding on that initial concept than making unique story-based experiences, but I personally thought DQ 7 was the best in the series (sorry Unity). It had my favorite take on the class system and the most interesting world to explore.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Housekeeping
...but I personally thought DQ 7 was the best in the series (sorry Unity).

Haha, no worries. It actually had a lot of content that I enjoyed. I believe most of my dislike came from fatigue for how long it took me to complete it, which could have happened to me with any of the games, in retrospect.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Its hard to pick a favorite Dragon Quest because they're all pretty much the same HA HA HA HA HA no I'm just having a laugh.

I just got done playing VI and I'm trying to find the time and money to play IV. I didn't think VI was too thrilling in the exploration department so that was disappointing. And it wasn't as a story-driven and engaging as V. It was kind of........

I'll give it one thing. Its definitely got the hardest final boss of all the games I've played so far. Dunno if plus. Because grinding in VI is a CHORE.

So my favorite is still II. Because I am a masochist. But everyone loves the pants off of IV so if I get around to it that might change my mind.
my first DQ game was Dragon Quest Monsters II for GBC, and I absolutely loved it. I loved the breeding system and all the different worlds you could go to, and even the postgame was pretty fun with the randomized keys you could get. The storyline was very fun and interesting, it had a major emphasis on exploration which was very fun

Then I played the translated version of DQM Caravan Heart, it had an interesting take on the battle system because you could battle with both monsters and humans, but you could only have a few monsters at a time because of the heart system, and towns were no longer open maps but just "where will you go? BAR/INN/HOUSE". You couldn't even explore the overworld freely because of the stupid ration system, literally every step you took would decrease rations and if you ran out you basically had to retreat or die. I haven't even tried anything past DQM Joker because the series lost its appeal to me :'(
I've tried but no, even if Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I played. I just don't find the core game very fun and most games in the series blur together for me. They all feel very similar and I really don't care for the art style or music of them either.
I love Dragon Quest! (Despite not playing most of them)
DQM:Joker is pretty much my favourite series. I tried DQ9 for a while before realizing that later fights have no skill involved in them and that the dressup part is quite restrictive (Terraria is much better at that).

I tried the Gameboy version of DQM, but the inability to control monsters directly and the atrocious pace instantly turned me off. Not to mention that the lack of tile variety makes it hard to navigate.
I adore the original Dragon Warrior series, with 3 being my absolute favorite. Monsters 1 and 2 were pretty fun as well (the breeding system was great!) However, I could not stand DQ8 (I played it for a few days before quitting and never picking it back up again) and from what I've read and seen of DQ9, I do not like the direction it was taken in whatsoever. I did not care for Caravan Heart or Joker, either.

It might be a bit odd, but I did have fun playing Rocket Slime and Torneko's Adventure as well.
Pages: first 12 next last