RPG MAKER MV ANNOUNCED FOR PC AND MAC

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Celianna said it on RMWeb -- more specifically, I heard 32x32 from her because she said because of it, she wasn't worried about her new tileset series being screwed over by MV.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think it would solve a lot of issues with the current resource packs that are available. I mean this engine would make everything Enterbrain has been making obsolete, which would result in less sales for these products.

Since this is RPG Maker I'm betting on you can set a tileset to use "VX Ace" mode which can read and render the tileset fine... using non-integer upscaling to fit it to 48x48
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Finally RM will join the ranks of every game making tool ever and allow you to specify tile grid sizes. We are truly living in a modern world.

author=kory_toombs
I think it would solve a lot of issues with the current resource packs that are available. I mean this engine would make everything Enterbrain has been making obsolete, which would result in less sales for these products.
That has never stopped them in the past, but the software and DLC assets seem to be much more integrated into the community than ever before. Looks like EB has finally realized fan base pandering is the quickest way to increase your profit margins. Who knows what kind of stunning epiphany the company will have next?
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=emmych
More Vapourware
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, regardless of whether this is it or not, this cynic response was a chuckle I'll not soon forget, thanks Emmy.

author=oddRABBIT
I think it stands for MultiVerse, as when you look at this video, you can see at the 1:42 mark that the letters MV have some sort of galaxy design in them.
I already said the MultiVerse thing last page so if it turns out to be that, I'm just letting ya'll know I thought of it first.

Mobile Version I see as the most likely.
Multi(ple) Version
I have said it over and over, yet folks still wanna debate it.
It has more than one battle system, you can port it to "multiple" devices..
I don't get how difficult to understand that is.

Anyhow..
One thing that's been going on in my head is..
If MV has a side view battle system option.. will folks keep using 2K3, or maybe switch over to this one?
That's been running through my mind..
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=MarkusT
will folks keep using 2K3, or maybe switch over to this one?
That's been running through my mind..

I don't think RPG Maker 2003 will ever die. Fans of it are pretty hardcore.
So I doubt it.
Hell a lot of people still use 2000 to my knowledge, so I'd definitely say 2k3 still has a healthy user-base.

All comes down to preference, imo.
in your opinion, you can copy the instructions as the new 2k3, so you can stick them on the forum, instead of a screen?
you can be sure the battle system is the last reason i'd want to use 2k3 xD
author=MarkusT
Multi(ple) Version
I have said it over and over, yet folks still wanna debate it.
It has more than one battle system, you can port it to "multiple" devices..
I don't get how difficult to understand that is.

Archea corrected me not long ago.
Seems it DOES mean Mobile Version... but that sounds stupid to me.. as it's not ONLY for mobile..

And yeah, I have noticed quite a lot of folks still use 2000 and 2003.
I think it's cause they prefer the 16x16 graphics over the 32x32 or even the new 48x48.
You would think EB and Kadokawa Games would noticed this issue and allow for custom tile sizes... but so far.. nope.

Considering it has the ability to use JS Plugins... maybe their can be a scripting/coding way around it..
BizarreMonkey
Mobile can mean more than just 'it's on mobile'.

Mobile means movable, i.e. like a Tent or a car.

So while I doubt this was a conscious stroke of ingenious naming on their part, it works.

Also XP works on Vista and VX works on XP so... kind of an invalid point anyway.
author=MarkusT
And yeah, I have noticed quite a lot of folks still use 2000 and 2003.
I think it's cause they prefer the 16x16 graphics over the 32x32 or even the new 48x48.
You would think EB and Kadokawa Games would noticed this issue and allow for custom tile sizes... but so far.. nope.

Considering it has the ability to use JS Plugins... maybe their can be a scripting/coding way around it..

This is already kinda technically possible at runtime with VXP Ace. You can plug in a script at the end of the asset pipeline (the Cache module) and manipulate the bitmap objects you get from the engine. For example if you have 16x16 chipsets but organized in the same format as what Ace expects you can just scale up the bitmap in the Cache.get_tileset method by 2x and it'll work swimmingly in-game. There are caveats though, the engine backend that renders the map is, afaik, not on the scripting layer and you can't change it so your final tileset still needs to be organized the same way as a normal Ace tileset. This also only applies to when you play the game, the editor has no such way to manipulate assets so to make it appear right in the map editor you have to scale it up manually anyways.

I certainly hope MX has a more native solution. The above wouldn't work well at all if you wanted to scale VXP Ace's 32x32 assets to 48x48, you can't integer nearest-neighbor scale them up to 48x48 so the alternative is to make them look like garbage.

And that's all for today's "weird hacks in rpg maker that don't solve the actual problem" corner!
And it's fun to use, to boot~ ;p
author=Sated
Using RM2K3 solves the actual problem ;)

author=Liberty
And it's fun to use, to boot~ ;p

In the interest of not starting rmhowa I'll just say I respectfully disagree
BizarreMonkey
I like VX Ace but you know if you guys like 2003 that's cool.

Everyone is going to die in horror when they see me actually not instigating or being a butt about why their opinions are wrong because they aren't my opinions so obviously they have shit taste but I have school and it's not really worth arguing about.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i tried to participate in the 2k3 contest a few months ago

but i just oculdn't convince myself to do it. it's too ugly. it's too limiting.

there's nothing wrong with other people using it ofc, but i don't see why you'd want to ;V

also i want rmmv so that i can try it then continue using ace
I tried too! I did a huge part of the design and implementation in the database until when testing I discovered that the way I had everything set up worked on the assumption that elements in 2k3 stacked in a certain way (spoilers they didn't). I ended up getting real drunk that night and starting another game but lol at getting anything done ever
Understandable. I rather like each of the RMs (bar XP) for different reasons.