WHEN DO YOU GROW UP?

Pages: first 123 next last
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
We're not talking about age, because we all know at least a handful of adults who act like children. No, we're talking maturity. Honest-to-God, experience-fueled adulthood.

An example I can think of is the moment your mother confirms that you were indeed an "accident" and that she thought at least once during her pregnancy of having an abortion for one reason or another, and you've experienced enough to know what all you would have missed out on had she gone through with it.

Please no stupid answers. Let's get philosophical.
I think it's when "you" realize that it's not about "you" and there is no need to make it about "you". Sometimes the only thing "you" need to have is an ear.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Right around when the depression sets in.

Wait, no stupid answers? My bad.

Right around when you can hold yourself accountable for your failings. Some people never learn how to do that.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Growing up isn't really something that happens. People fake it until it becomes the truth. Some people fake it their whole lives.
When you take responsibility for your actions and can take care of yourself (provided you're not severely handicapped).
When you stop prodding people and causing arguments on the forums.

Nah, just kidding (maybe).

I'm a Newfoundlander, so, I'd say when you share a beer with your Dad.
That point during your twenties we're you're broke and shit and try to figure out how you're going to make it to your next pay is pretty sobering and will mature anyone in a hurry.
Likely when you first start regretting ever wanting to grow up *immediately* when you were younger. This could seriously happen at any age, from as early as 8 to as late as 50. Any time before that, you haven't really paid enough attention to your own experiences yet, and thus no regrets felt so far.
I think it's when you start realizing the weight your actions have on the people around you. Not just your friends and family, but even the people you hate.

Why your teacher scolded you in class. Why did you treat the cashier rudely just for a prank.

Stuff like that.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
I'm guessing you probably mean when I became more mature.

Around age 14.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Not a joke answer: I think I stopped maturing around age 13 and have been faking it ever since.

I think this is probably true of pretty much everyone. No one ever actually matures. They just either pretend to be mature until they've been doing it so long that they forget they're pretending, or they gradually realize that no one else matured either and that there's no special meaning to being an adult. The first type of person is the type that others perceive as a "mature adult" and the second type is the type that others perceive as a "grown child." I have more respect for the second type, in general. It seems more honest.
I'd say it's when you start providing for someone else. I mean kids, a spouse, elderly parents, that sort of thing. Just maintaining your own bachelor/bachelorette lifestyle doesn't count because you only need to answer to yourself.
For me, maturity can be largely determined based on how aware you are of the consequences of your actions and the concepts of life skills in general. That, and developed emotions, of course. It took me what felt like forever not to get bent out of shape over stupid bullshit like forgetting to feed my cat or not going out with friends every other day. I mean, it's important to have a sense of urgency, obviously, but not to the point where you're a neurotic mess. Then it's just unhealthy.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
When you realise what matters the most in life are the little things.
author=Solitayre
Growing up isn't really something that happens. People fake it until it becomes the truth. Some people fake it their whole lives.

Really I'm in this camp! A lot of people look at growing up as some singular even that happens once, but I'm of the opinion that people keep growing until the day they die. If you think "why yes, I have Grown Up and I am an adult now," you block yourself off to future growth! It's important to embrace one's inherent imperfection and always be open to change, I think.

It is a steady process. Fake it 'till you make it does apply.
We have our lessons to learn, and their negative consequences will haunt us until we do. We'll get somewhere eventually.
Maturity is knowing when it's acceptable to behave immaturely.
author=Infinite
Maturity is knowing when it's acceptable to behave immaturely.

I second this. Growing up is never "you can't do this anymore". It's just "okay let's pay the bills and cut the grass first BEFORE all the fun stuff." Alternatively, moving out of your parents for the first time manages to make people grow up pretty damn fast.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Yea, I agree with Soli and Emmych, I think adulthood & maturity are things that slowly increase over time, instead of a simple "you are or you aren't". Some key events might push you heavily in one direction, but all the little things that happen every day change you as well.

The only way to stop maturing is to think you already know it all! (you never will~)
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
What does it mean to be "more adult" than someone else your age? because that's the question that comes to mind when I read the thread title.
Pages: first 123 next last