PROFESSOR LAYTON STUFF!

Pages: 1
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
So, I was listening to PROFESSOR LAYTON music earlier, and now I'm all teary-eyed that the series is over, excluding that mobile game that'll probably suck, LAYTON 7. So, I want to know how you guys feel about Professor Layton being gone, your favorite puzzles, characters, anything Layton related. Remember, every puzzle has an answer. And that answer is B.
Professor Layton was a great series! ...Up to a point.

Game by game thoughts:

Curious Village: I didn't play this until after I played Diabolical Box, Unwound Future and Spectre's Flute, as it was really hard to find a copy. At that point I had already had the game accidentally spoiled, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I feel I could have. It's still really nice though, if a bit bland at points- but for the first game, it's all you could ever want.

Diabolical Box: The first one I played, and my second favourite overall. The settings featured in this game are beyond wonderful, and I think the travelling nature coupled with all the different locales you visit did a lot to sell me on the Layton series. The inclusion of a "feelie" puzzle with the train ticket in the box was a really fun idea that I wish more games did.

Unwound Future: My personal favourite of the entire series. This game is fantastic- the setting is wonderful, the atmosphere is beautifully pulled off, and the story, while a bit convoluted, is really enjoyable. I think this is probably the peak level of story saturation/fantasy the series should have gotten into, myself. Props for being legitimately touching at times, as well, and having a really fun cast of characters- even moreso than the usually fantastic cast of a Layton game.

Spectre's Flute: This is kind of where things started going a bit downhill. The story and setting aren't really that interesting, and overall the game is sort of bland. It's a really forgettable entry in the series. The inclusion of Professor Layton's London Life kind of is nice, but tacking one forgettable game onto another doesn't do a whole lot to save either.

Miracle Mask: I enjoyed this more than Spectre's Flute, and truth be told it's probably my favourite game in the prequel trilogy, even if it is a bit overly melodramatic and heavy on the weird fantasy story stuff. The Masked Man has a cool design, the setting is pretty colourful and interesting, but even so, it's still a little on the forgettable side.

Azran Legacy: This one is just straight up bad. The story makes no sense at all, it's WAY too overly melodramatic and obsessed with itself, the settings are bland, forgettable, and flat, and the whole Azran thing/ending sequence is such a gigantic ripoff of Castle in the Sky that's it's not even funny. Seriously, what were they thinking? That nobody would notice it? FFS.

You may notice I didn't talk about the gameplay, because well... It's always been solid, throughout the whole series. There's no part that really stands out or does anything wrong. It's pretty remarkable that through all six games the gameplay and puzzle design is so solid. I really have to give Level 5 props for that.

My favourite characters from the series are obviously Layton himself, Emmy Altava, Don Paolo, and Future Luke. I think Unwound Future has the best soundtrack.
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
I liked the movie. I also forgive the Phoenix Wright crossover's shortcomings because it gave us Maya again, and the segments where you cross-examined a bunch of people at once were a neat little change of pace. Otherwise, I've played pretty much all of them just for the puzzles, because the stories are laughably bad in general.
Pages: 1