[RM2K3] HERO MOVING DURING MESSAGE

Pages: 1
Is there a work around for allowing the hero to move around while a message is displayed, other than using a picture? ("Allow events to continue..." is only for events, i.e. NPCs.)
Have another event replace the hero, change hero graphic to be blank...
author=Sated

That would just make the hero invisible. The player could still move around and move the camera.

The hero can't move during autorun events. Try that.

Or rig up a way to have 4 blocks surround the player.
Props to the two replies above that missed the point (one somewhat, one completely).

The ghetto solution would be having another parallel process on the same map (or common event) which runs the <Key Input Processing> commnand (no checkmark in "wait for input") (input for the 4 directional keys) (use something else than variable [0001] if you want) and on the left side of that event's editor set a Switch to allow the following to run only while the text is displayed:

<>Key Input Processing: [0001]
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 1
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Down
<>
Branch End
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 2
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Left
<>
Branch End
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 3
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Right
<>
Branch End
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 4
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Up
<>
Branch End
<>
And some 0.0 waits at the end, of which I don't remember how many it takes to move an event by a block with regards to the event's move speed (to prevent the move route to clutter up with too much movement).
And the event that opens the text window needs to have that "Allow events to continue..." enabled and turn the Switch (mentioned above) ON beforehand and turn it OFF after the text window is done.

Since I'm not having any of that ghetto nonsense, here's my solution:
download AllowPlayerMoveInMsg
edit:
Also, don't be like that one guy that patched his rpg maker editor. Read the readme. Or just shove the v1.08 file into the folder DynPatches if you are using DynRPG.

If you don't want the player to move: set the Hero/Player to <wait> in a <Move Event> on "repeat action" before the text window is displayed. After the text, just have an empty <Move Event> for the Hero/Player to reset the move route.

Assuming the [RM2K3] tag is correct and me not caring what version you are sporting (v1.08 comes with DynRPG)...
I would have preferred it if a proper modloader existed for v1.10+ already. But whatever.

But remember: there might be a reason why some games don't have the player move around during a text display.
author=Link_2112
author=Sated
That would just make the hero invisible. The player could still move around and move the camera.

The hero can't move during autorun events. Try that.

Or rig up a way to have 4 blocks surround the player.

They want the hero to move whilst messages are shown. They don't want them to stop moving.

author=bugmenot
The ghetto solution would be having another parallel process on the same map (or common event) which runs the <Key Input Processing> commnand (no checkmark in "wait for input") (input for the 4 directional keys) (use something else than variable [0001] if you want) and on the left side of that event's editor set a Switch to allow the following to run only while the text is displayed:

<>Key Input Processing: [0001]
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 1
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Down
<>
Branch End
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 2
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Left
<>
Branch End
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 3
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Right
<>
Branch End
<>Conditional Branch: Variable [0001] == 4
<>Set Move Route: Player, Move Up
<>
Branch End
<>

I was suggesting to do this but with a dummy "hero" event. I don't know why I thought that was required. Brain fart...
Pages: 1