NEW ENTERBRAIN MAKER - ACTION GAME MAKER!

author=Ciel link=topic=1867.msg58970#msg58970 date=1233190997
AGM... the last great hope for RPG makers everywhere...

Don't frack this up Enterbrain - let the second advent of games be upon us.

(Mitsuhide starts doing weird demonic chants)

author=Karsuman link=topic=1867.msg58970#msg58970 date=1233190997
VX can multiply just fine. I have no idea what he is talking about.

I didn't know what the problem was, Kars. I didn't read all of the above posts, nor do I use VX.
Attempting to point them out in a condescending way makes you a condescending twat. It is possible to point things out without, at the same time, being patronising. However, there were no mistakes aside from your assumption that I am trying to say the companies should price their products based on effort. As far as I am concerned, the companies can price their products at whatever amount they like based on whatever principles they want to, I am simply saying that if I don't think something is a fair price I reserve the right to say that price is bullshit. Understand?

If you think I was being condescending and/or patronizing, then you'd have no chance in a real-life argument. My second reply to you could've been much, much more harsh. In fact, I'm still being relatively "nice" to you right now.

Also, please don't backpedal, it's rude to the spectators' intelligence:
Effort does not equal time. It takes a larger pool of talent to create a commercial videogame than it does to write a program like Photoshop, ergo the game should be worth much more.
The effort put into making them, regardless of quality, still isn't equal to that of making a console game, so programs like Photoshop still shouldn't be worth in excess of $100. My problem is that I don't like being ripped-off.
What you base the value of something on how well made it is and on how much effort was put into making it, and when it comes down to these qualities there is no comparison between a program like RPGMaker and a (good) videogame.
...repeat ad nauseum.

And let me throw that last statement back at you: If I think what someone says is completely idiotic, false, and stupid, I reserve the right to say it is pathetic. Understand?

And yet without someone with enough talent to use the compiler, the compiler is also useless. Circular logic is circular.

Strawman and a violation of Occam's Razor. Your creating of a circular logic problem is outside the scope of what I said, and completely useless.

I have learned to live with it; my way of living with it is to decide not to buy things I don't agree with the price of and to instead pirate them. Also, I am not trying to dictate prices, I am simply calling out prices which I personally believe are bullshit.

What is it you don't get about that?

My way of living with it is through a life of crime! You know, I'm very cynical of how software companies have been trying to punish piracy as of late, but this kind of claptrap just makes me even more cynical of certain groups of pirates. I guess it's bullshit that programmers should be compensated for the amount of effort they put into making this stuff you oh-so-love to pirate. And before you mention it, game code is not harder to program than productivity suite code.

Actually, you insinuated it when you said this:

these home users should pay for these games more than what people pay for Adobe Creative Suite or Microsoft Office... I'm quite sure if that was done, the game wouldn't sell nearly as well...

By saying that the games would not sell nearly as well if they were priced higher than Adobe products, you are stating that changing the price would have a negative effect. For the price change to have a negative effect, the price change would have to be one that increased the price. Ergo, you are saying that the games should increase in price when, in fact, it is entirely possible that the Adobe products could instead drop below the price of the games.

QED.

OH LET'S TAKE A QUOTE OUT OF CONTEXT AND SEE WHAT WE CAN DO WITH IT! I think you missed the "by your logic" part which isn't even consistent anymore, and the "just because 'more effort' was placed into it." bits. Let's go back to your original argument, and don't try to deny it please: Photoshop, Word, and <insert productivity program here> should be worth less than a video game because, in your view, "less" work was done to create them. You trying to create a black-and-white fallacy out of what I said is ridiculous, and will be called as such.

You're right, the world would be such a better place if people didn't have opinions on how things should be and simply accepted the world as it is.

It's one thing to have dreams of a utopian society, where everything's nice and shiny, fairness exists everywhere, and kittens play in a perpetual day with no end. It's another to be in outright denial and try to arrogantly state some self-serving viewpoint on how the world should work, because quite honestly, humanity doesn't work that way. You speak of Psychology 101, yet you demonstrate that you have no practical knowledge of how humans think.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
woah, lets argue passionately about video games

quite frankly, i feel your position is merely a result of your subconscious inferiority complex regarding your inability to create satisfactory charset edits
Ciel
*lounges on internet throne*
author=Atavus Dei link=topic=1867.msg58933#msg58933 date=1233179465
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=1867.msg58911#msg58911 date=1233174864
I know how basic economics and supply and demand work so don't be a condescending twat, I just don't believe I (as in me, personally) should just agree with a price based on supply and demand alone.

Uh, lol? Pointing your mistakes out makes me a condescending twat? And here I thought I was being mild. :) Keep living in that fantasy world of yours, though!

I believe an individual can decide what something is worth based on whatever arbituary standard they want to use, and since I personally believe that the effort and talent required to make something is the key deciding factor I tend to believe that videogames hold more worth than programs like Photoshop.

Effort and talent mean nothing if the tools required to use them...do not exist. I mean, try compiling your game's source code without a compiler. Wait, I see something wrong there!

In short, I don't care how the market works; I only care how much I think something should be worth based on my own personal standards. Individuals are not markets, this is simple Psychology 101 here.

When you become God and have the ability to set absolute prices on everything, you let me know. Until then, reality sucks, learn to live with it.

Wait... Did I say the games have to increase in price? Does the statement "games should be worth more" actually mean the games have to increase in price? Perhaps the programs should decrease in price instead? Besides, like I already said, it is my own personal logic and I am not trying to set a new economic precedent. I alone decide what I believe is a fair price for something.

Oh, and now you put words in my mouth! Did I mention games must increase in price in the first place? Please reread my statement more carefully.

This is comedy gold. Too bad this forum doesn't have a laugh emoticon, otherwise I would've used it a ton in this post. I honestly tried to point out your errors without being sarcastic, but instead you choose to disregard and shit on them and go on about some fantasy world you'd like this planet to be. Let it be that, then.

Then again, you could just be trolling. :)

Quit while you're ahead, thus far you've only proved that you're a phenomenal moron.
This is the worst thread
Yeah it is way off topic. How about we get back on topic?

When "Action Game Maker" is released, what is the first style of game you will want to make on it? Why?

I think I will probably try a platformer, simply because I would love to see how the engine works, and to test the flexibility of it.
Ciel
can i get a ban on "fallen-griever" and "atavus dei"

thanks
author=Nightblade link=topic=1867.msg59020#msg59020 date=1233198947
Quit while you're ahead, thus far you've only proved that you're a phenomenal moron.

If you have anything to add besides blindly taking a side without knowing what you're talking about, then go ahead. :)

I've not denied this argument once. It is my opinion that videogames are worth more and, based on that opinion, I am saying that AGM is ridiculously overpriced and that I hope it fails because of this. It has nothing to do with economics. When people decide whether they are going to stump up the cash for something they don't base it on supply and demand, they base it on their own set of standards and values. That is what I am doing here; I am saying AGM (and many other programs) are overpriced based on my own, personal standards.

Simple.

Aye, and most of us here are calling your statement stupid. Because your statement is such a self-serving, arrogant, and one-sided view of the situation, and you want everything to conform to those fantasy ideals even if they defy the rules of real life in the first place. Not all of us want this to fail because of your own personal viewpoint on how business should work.

Oh, and people buy things based on the level of how much they need or want them, if they could afford the item they need or want, plus many other factors. You know, it's a complex equation. It's the reason why there's a profession devoted entirely to that. "Personal standards and values" is a false oversimplification.

If the mods feel as if this argument has gone on long enough, PM me and I'll get out. I may be going "over the limit" when it comes to replying to someone, but I believe when someone states something idiotic, then that person deserves a rightful reply back.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
This thread is really bad, I'd probably lock it but somebody took away my powers. (I enjoyed them, give it back) Consider yourselves lucky chumps...

Also consider that opinions exist, even dumb ones. If you have a strong need to vocally express your supremacy over other ways of thinking then maybe you should be studying to become a politician instead of arguing on rpgmaker forums
Stop fucking arguing and get back on subject please...

author=myersguy link=topic=1867.msg59052#msg59052 date=1233208244
Yeah it is way off topic. How about we get back on topic?

When "Action Game Maker" is released, what is the first style of game you will want to make on it? Why?

I'm actually most interested in Action RPG. Most of the ideas for games I've had so far will be used with that engine.
author=Magi link=topic=1867.msg59141#msg59141 date=1233234677
Also consider that opinions exist, even dumb ones. If you have a strong need to vocally express your supremacy over other ways of thinking then maybe you should be studying to become a politician instead of arguing on rpgmaker forums

I'm not trying to express "supremacy" but rather am pointing out FG's statements as being dumb and naive. Would you not call out statements like "I think all Muslims are radical terrorists." or "It's my opinion that black people should be slaves to the superior white man." as being mind-numbingly retarded?

Those are rather extreme examples, but they prove my point: opinions can be wrong and, in some cases, destructive. Letting comments like that go freely has only been proven, time and again throughout history, to breed more stupidity. It's better to nip them in the bud and prevent the stupidity from spreading, in my view.

Anyway, I'm out of this conversation now. It's breaking off the topic and leading it to more bullfuckery than it needs.
My addition to the topic:

I've always wanted to turn one of my stories into a futuristic shooter RPG kind of game, either in the style of a plain FPS like Mass Effect or a real-time commanded battle system like in the Star Ocean series. Except in 2D, of course. The problem with using RPG Maker for this is that, as I've seen in a few games, it's a monster to code, with so much repetition as to make it a complete waste of time.

If a game maker like this comes out, then such a dream would finally be realized. :D
I want to use both other game styles besides action-RPG, but alas, I have not thought of any ideas yet.
I do believe it is time.

Time for this topic to die.

Feel free to make another topic when there is more information on AGM.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=Magi link=topic=1867.msg59141#msg59141 date=1233234677
...then maybe you should be studying to become a politician instead of arguing on rpgmaker forums

Is it too much to ask for both?

This topic is pretty blighted. Let's start a new one later on that is actually about the awesomeness that is Action Game Maker and not the pettiness of human nature.