NEW ENTERBRAIN MAKER - ACTION GAME MAKER!

author=Neophyte link=topic=1867.msg58064#msg58064 date=1232810735
...It's going to cost about $115 USD and is activated over the internet, so you most likely won't be able to crack this...

Holy fuck...

It's painful to say, but I might actually pay that if AGM is that awesome.
shit, that is a lot of money. But i'm sure someone will crack the program as they have done with just about everything.
$115? Fuck you, Enterbrain.
Fuck you.
It better be worth it or I'm gonna hafta choke a bitch.
I'm sort of hyped for this, but I think people may have the wrong idea what it is. A few of you are comparing it to Game Maker, which I don't think it is. It looks fun, but not very customizable. Just like RPG maker is geared to make dragon quest style rpgs, I think this is designed to only make generic shooters, zelda games, and platformers.

That said, there's lots you can do within those categories, but it seems like people are expecting a very open ended editor, like Game Maker. I think it's basically going to be templates for the three types of games.
author=Chartley link=topic=1867.msg58263#msg58263 date=1232906261
I'm sort of hyped for this, but I think people may have the wrong idea what it is. A few of you are comparing it to Game Maker, which I don't think it is. It looks fun, but not very customizable. Just like RPG maker is geared to make dragon quest style rpgs, I think this is designed to only make generic shooters, zelda games, and platformers.

That said, there's lots you can do within those categories, but it seems like people are expecting a very open ended editor, like Game Maker. I think it's basically going to be templates for the three types of games.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I can't really see myself buying this. I will give it a try, however.
I wonder if you can make fighting games with it.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
author=Scribble link=topic=1867.msg58264#msg58264 date=1232906857
I wonder if you can make fighting games with it.

There's always Mugen for that.
author=Nightblade link=topic=1867.msg58140#msg58140 date=1232845338
so you most likely won't be able to crack this.
Pffft... er hmm. Yeah, I know of plenty of products with online activations that are crackable. Diskeeper 2008 is one example. If they are expecting people to shell out 115 dollars for this thing; they are pretty damn insane.

Let's name more familiar software, RPGmaker XP and VX! All software are hackable because they're made by humans. xD
...That said, there's lots you can do within those categories, but it seems like people are expecting a very open ended editor, like Game Maker. I think it's basically going to be templates for the three types of games.

And there's nothing wrong with that. That's already two more than RPG Maker. I was expecting it to be that and nothing more. The only thing I concerned about is if you will be able to import your own music and graphics, and since it's Enterbrain I'm sure you'll have the option to.
I can think of a lot of ways I'd rather spend $150 (curse you Canadian dollar) then on a company who made a product unable to do math correctly (and in 1/8th the case cause a fatal error)
$150 dollars on a limited program that's only interesting feature is exporting to Xbox 360 and Flash, or $20 on registering GameMaker which can properly calculate 2*1.

That's a really hard choice right there.
author=Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant link=topic=1867.msg58321#msg58321 date=1232938815
...That said, there's lots you can do within those categories, but it seems like people are expecting a very open ended editor, like Game Maker. I think it's basically going to be templates for the three types of games.

And there's nothing wrong with that. That's already two more than RPG Maker. I was expecting it to be that and nothing more. The only thing I concerned about is if you will be able to import your own music and graphics, and since it's Enterbrain I'm sure you'll have the option to.

Well, you're good then. I'm hyped too, I just didn't want anyone to be misinformed about what the maker actually was. I'm saving them from future disappointment when they find out it's a development mold, not a blank canvas.
Well I hope it runs in 800 x 600!
author=GameOverGames Productions link=topic=1867.msg58352#msg58352 date=1232944034
$150 dollars on a limited program that's only interesting feature is exporting to Xbox 360 and Flash, or $20 on registering GameMaker which can properly calculate 2*1.

That's a really hard choice right there.

Can you cite an example here on the math?
Minor bugs (and even the medium ones that are simple like the math bug) exist in every editor.

I will be very sad if I can't manipulate AGM to do what I can with GameMaker. If nothing else it'd better let me change the entire system like XP/VX scripting can so I can MAKE it do what I want.

Honestly all I want from AGM is a good interface for map design, resource import functions, collision detection, and the whole thing written in code somewhere (be it C# or C++ and compiled or even some scripting language which would be less efficient) that I can edit.
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=1867.msg58692#msg58692 date=1233098213
It's going to cost about $115 USD

I have gone from wanting this to be successful (so that it would draw fire away from RPGMaker development) to wanting it to fail based entirely on principle.

No game-making software is worth $115. In fact, no OS is worth $115, yet alone a program that runs on the OS. In fact, I can't think of many pieces of software I would pay $115 for, and those I can think of are used to land planes or keep people alive in hospitals...

This is idiotic.

How much time have you spent in 2k?

If the cost happens to be $100 ~ or so and you have no intentions of buying it, fine, but considering these programs get far more use than the average epic RPG, you really shouldn't be complaining.

Especially after you have used their illegally translated software for years.
author=Anaryu link=topic=1867.msg58694#msg58694 date=1233099027
Minor bugs (and even the medium ones that are simple like the math bug) exist in every editor.

Except any sort of competent test plan would've weeded out such a rediculously obvious error. It makes it feel like all the testing they did for RMVX was "it compiles, ship it!" trash I'd except from kids in high school, not from a peice of software developed by professionals.

They didn't even bother to fix it.
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=1867.msg58697#msg58697 date=1233100039
Compared to the effort required to make a videogame, the effort needed to create a program like Word/Photoshop/RPGMaker/etc. is simply miniscule, which is why they shouldn't be worth nearly as much.

I'm sorry, have you ever taken any sort of software engineering course? Do you realize how ridiculous it is to equate Photoshop's, Word's, or any other productivity utility's complexity to a common video game? Or, let's replace RPG Maker with a commercial game engine...Source, for example. Are you saying the game takes more time to develop than the engine that drives it?