UPCOMING GAME (MECHANICS) DISCUSSION.

Pages: first 12 next last
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I wanted to discuss some mechanics and plot devices I've been working with in an upcoming game I'm doing, called Oblivion.

I am working on a game where there are these craters all over the world, and out of these craters monsters are coming out from them and the idea for this is that you can only get into random battles by walking around these craters, and once you get so far away from them, it's safe to walk around on the world map. Each crater has a different "type" of monster, IE one crater is in the desert so earth types and fire types will be faced.

The fighting while plot focused since you'll have to go around the world in the story, is still sort of like i's own mini-game so as to find your ways to these craters.

Another plot device I'm going with in this is that these craters act as a defensive measure that the planet has, by opening up sealed "mountains" and then the first stage is releasing monsters to kill off the threat, and then the second stage is using magic from "beasts" that inhabit the craters, and send magic in explosions from the craters to the outside.

I want to make it where you'll have to go down into a certain amount of these craters to fight and destroy these beasts until the planet can no longer use the craters as a weapon, then going on to investigate what the threat was that caused the planet to defend itself.

I want to know if the fighting concept for random battles is okay and the general concept for the story.

Also I'm working on a super boss fight where if you go out of your way to kill off ALL of the beasts in the craters you unlock the sealed god beast and I want to also talk about it's fighting mechanics. It has 4 forms it will transform into via both a scheduled pattern and at random times. The fight and water form, which both uses and is weak against fire and water, the thunder and wind form, which both uses and is weak against those two, the ice and thunder, and then the weak version weak against every thing.

Each form has 2 weaknesses up until the end which allow you to just spam attacks until it transforms to one of the 3. Unless you have an elemental weapon when attacking, you can only use magical attacks that correspond with the elements he is weak against.

I want to know if the starting concept sounds decent enough for a battle? Also he has 9,999,999 hp.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
first off: a game called oblivion where mysterious anomalies are causing monsters to pour out? HUH NEVER HEARD OF THAT

otherwise, i quite like the idea that random encounters only occur near the craters. that's a neat way to plot-explain it away and add some threat to the game's big focus point. are the craters themselves dungeons or what?

having a superboss that changes elemental forms is a good way to make sure that players with a variety of elemental spells/weapons/etc. won't feel like their efforts to hone those are worthless, although you saying that "it has 9,999,999 hp" isn't that pertinent because we know nothing else about how your game scales. if you're just making a super-long fight that's gonna bore your player to tears, stop now =P
Thiamor
Well of course some parts will be cliche :p

The part about it being so high is to not really make it longer but to add a sense of "holy fuck" to the fight. With being able to view how much HP it has and not being able to hurt it by spamming attacks, it'll be more of a wow factor, but once you figure out the color scheme behind when to attack, it begins to move extremely fast. It's super easy to die and super easy to do damage onto the super boss once you figure out the patterned-portion. To sort of make it not so boring, it also will randomly choose what to pick every so often.

Also yes, actually. Craters are dungeons, and inside the craters of the specific areas, will hold the same type of monsters you see on the surface but much stronger, and then there's the beasts, which if it were a Final Fantasy game, you'd call it an Esper. Each area will hold a specific boss based on it. So if you're in the desert and travel down into the crater, you'd fight an earth/fire type of boss.

Though once you defeat the boss of that area, monsters start to lower in number on the surface, so one could wait to kill them and grind, but they become MUCH harder to fight back in the crater, even harder than prior to when that boss was alive. Sort of a training area, so to speak.

The craters will also be connected to every other crater so that you can travel the world without travel by ships as well.

And my plan for a party to fight with will be a bit more..unique and not so much plot-based. You basically are a prince and after doing so much of the game by yourself one plot-based character joins you, but they give you access to "recruit" soldiers to fight with you. You choose from the list of soldiers who to get.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
the idea of a crater-connected world sounds pretty awesome. i'm down, go make it =P
Thiamor
Ever since my net was disconnected, I've been working on the game. Working on the world map, too, because given the crater travel I need to make the world big enough so it's not just needing craters to move about.

I also have it where there are teleportation islands that teleport you to cities and other towns, villages, etc. It allows you to go to almost all major cities and towns. Lastly one of my major functions is each treasure chest has a random number generator and if it activates one specific number you find your original treasure and a rare treasure.

For instance the first chest you get has an iron sword, and if you're lucky on your first time, an iron slayer, a sword that increases your str by 500 and every other stat by 50, but it induces berserk, absorbs mp, and poisons you until you remove it.

You'd have to do multiple New Game+ play-throughs to get it, or find an item that gives you higher chances later on.
Thiamor
Now I'm just trying to come up with an alternative to leveling up that gives the same results. What I mean is keeping the grinding feature as the main feature towards leveling up and getting stronger, but also including an alternative method.
How about each of the craters drop unique collectables that can be crafted to better equipment? Equipment is the best way to strengthen the player by progressing. If you can't make a crafting system (or don't want one), have the enemies drop the equipment directly.

Also, I like the random items in chests, which could work with the above - but don't encourage savescumming by having a rare item that's better than the other. You could keep the items in chests balanced by making them have different equip types each - a desert chest, for instance, could have a Scarab Armor, a Sun Staff, a Sandstorm Blade and a Golden Pharao Shield.
Thiamor
I might be able to do a crafting system, but it'd just be based on conditional branches. Say you have 2 weapons of different types and an item that allows the crafting of a new weapon, then you can fuse them together.
Thiamor
Also here's a small portion of the map, I plan to add more..graphics to it, more details, this is just to get a basic idea.

The entire world itself is probably going to be 70 some times bigger than most Final Fantasy games, most of any games of this type.

I am planning on making the map itself taking a good while to explore.
unity
You're magical to me.
Be careful not to make it too big. Take it from me, someone who worked on a HUGE game for ten years and only got half way through... you can go too big.
Thiamor
The game itself wont' be super long, but the map itself will be fairly big. Some for looks, the rest for plot/side quests. But I don't plan to just make stuff that servers no purpose that will take too, too long to cross. It should hopefully be fine.
Not a bad concept, although I worry about if your execution will live up to it. I mean, this sounds like a HUGE game.

If you haven't made a few RPGmaker games before, you're going to want to keep thing as tight and focused as you can. Trust me, I have experience in biting off more than I can chew and getting sick of my project or never being able to finish it. It's why I focus on shorter projects more often.

Anyway, this is a decent backdrop to a game. Especially if you put some care into how the meteors have shaken up people's daily lives. Like...2 nations at war now have to band together to deal with the incoming monsters, but some people in those nations are still plotting against each other, or maybe a town that was really poor is suddenly finding itself very powerful because of ore it's mining from a meteor. This is to say nothing of trade route disruptions, alliances cut off from one another, and just life in general being suddenly turned upside down from a threat no one saw coming.

As for your super-boss idea...Yeah, rotating weaknesses isn't bad at all. Just be sure to give your hero a wide variety of skills and elements to deal with it.

author=Thiamor
Also he has 9,999,999 hp.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

*holds his head in his hands* You want to be VERY careful with huge numbers. If YOU get bored of fighting a boss fight that you're making, you can bet your player will too. The super-boss can be a long and difficult battle, but be sure to give the player a sense of progress, and don't stretch it way too long. Use your best judgement while testing it.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Thiamor
The game itself wont' be super long, but the map itself will be fairly big. Some for looks, the rest for plot/side quests. But I don't plan to just make stuff that servers no purpose that will take too, too long to cross. It should hopefully be fine.

If you're making a world map that's 70 times bigger than most Final Fantasy games, then it seems like it will actually become quite a chore to get from place to place.

You could have the entire game take place on that map you showed us in the screenshot (after the rest of it is filled in) and it would still be a pretty large world, overall.
Thiamor
I may have jumped the gun with the size but it will be bigger than many FF games. I want to play on world travel as much as possible. A sense of adventure when traveling... because honestly most FF games world's are small when you consider what it feels like in real life to travel around.
Thiamor
This site needs it in my opinion, where if you double post it'll act like a new post regardless, but fuse both posts together, just separating the old and new posts via line like other sites do.

Anyway back to my one point. On a lot of FF games, the world may seem huge at first, but once you have a vehicle, things just become way to easy to find, and way too fast to get from point A to point EVERYWHERE. I want it so the game also focuses on exploration, and I will want the game to eventually focus on expansions of kingdoms. Like you're forced to help a kingdom expand it's territory. But that won't be a huge portion of the game and would play near the realm of a mini-game.

Like with Skyrim, you pick a side, but you'd be forced to pick a side, and then play through a few rounds so to speak every now and again, when taking over places. I'd say the only differences that pop up once doing so, would be stores, etc. They give you different items.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I think you could probably think of a better less... snark-responsive name. Like Brace for Impact or ... Planet's Cry ! (lmao you'll probably do it better than I did).

I think the idea of a super large world map is often discarded for technical limitations. If you look at a massive game like Just Cause 2 you can see why this becomes a factor, and it's a small island possibly based off of Palau, doing a whole world is a nightmarish idea, even when not to scale.

Think, your character may be a meter wide, Our Earth's Diameter is 12,472 Kilometers wide, that's over 12 million meters!

You are now faced with a scenario that to reconstruct earth in RPG mak, you would make a map of 12 million tiles and JUST for the width.

Scaling that down is hardly foolish.
Thiamor
I will work on the size. I'm most likely going to cut some of it out in the finished product. Though the major kingdoms, etc, will most likely be of a "decent size".

One of the kingdoms is fairly huge because they used their technological advancements to cut up a giant portion of land and sent it out to sea, making it almost impossible to find and the only way to get into it is to use these teleportation devices. That may be one reason I will plan to cut some out because of the time it'll take to locate this area.

Anyway I see where most people are getting at though I still plan to have some decent size for a sense of travel.

And I KNOW! We we call it the Glory Hole :p Glory for what they are doing, Hole for the craters XD
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Ahahahaha oh my god yes!

THE GLORY HOLE, COMING TO AN X-RATED BOX NEAR YOU!!!
Thiamor
I am also trying to work out a good limit break-esque system, but I may make it where it doesn't built up in battle, but instead you buy these "items" that if you have enough in your inventory, it allows you to use the special moves. It'd just be easier on my part to do it this way rather than the work involved to make it fill up in battle.

Hell then this way with those people who farm gold, can farm those items and do a lot of their special moves.
There's a Yanfly Script that lets you add custom costs to skills. While it requires a custom formula in it, the script does offer the formula for making a skill use items as a cost - you could make limit breaks like you imagined with it.

Furthermore, I don't think you should avoid making a huge world map - just get a better tileset so you have a more varied environment as VX Ace lets you only use grass, dirt, sand, rock and snow as surfaces (and not even variations of those). One idea would be to have several continents or other greater land masses and you use a special traveling system to travel between them. This lets you use multiple tilesets for the world map and also allows you to cut down your maps easily if you decide that you don't want any more.

Regarding the fuse system: Will it work like in Shin Megami Tensei? In those games, demons have a level (which is their base level rather than their current level for fusing) and an attribute (Fairy, Beast, Tyrant, Lady etc.), where you have a table that determines which attribute you get from the two you combine (not all are legit). The demon you get is the lowest levelled one of that attribute that still outlevels your components - but you need to be his/her level to actually summon it.

Conquest is gonna be painful to make - you pretty much have to make every map that can be conquered multiple times - once for each faction that can claim it.
Pages: first 12 next last