TPP COULD MAKE FANWORK ILLEGAL?

Pages: first 12345 next last
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
OKSOme peol here don't give a fukc about the TPP but some provisions could screw over artists and doujin makers.
- Codec

Related Article.
http://goboiano.com/original/3219-anime-and-cosplay-fans-could-become-criminals-with-new-international-trade-agreement
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Fanwork is already illegal.
I doubt this would change too much in reference to this.

Of course there's a fine line with this, but for many industries this is a non issue, especially considering the Japanese culture where 'fan works' tend to blur pretty often into official works. It's like the article says;

author=Page
However, the owners of the original series know about a thing called free exposure and forming good relationships with fans. Plus, a number of manga artists have started out as doujin artists.

Making it illegal for a Naruto fan to cosplay as Ichigo is a good way to ensure you don't have many Naruto fans left. Smart companies know this.

author=Sailerius

stop posting
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
author=Feldschlacht IV
I doubt this would change too much in reference to this.

Of course there's a fine line with this, but for many industries this is a non issue, especially considering the Japanese culture where 'fan works' tend to blur pretty often into official works. It's like the article says;

author=Page
However, the owners of the original series know about a thing called free exposure and forming good relationships with fans. Plus, a number of manga artists have started out as doujin artists.

Making it illegal for a Naruto fan to cosplay as Ichigo is a good way to ensure you don't have many Naruto fans left. Smart companies know this.

author=Sailerius

stop posting
the idea was that the government might prosecute it independently of the businesses... that is aiil.
Without corporate pressure to do so, there wouldn't be much incentive for the government to crack down on anime conventions.

The TPP is pretty worrying, but I'd be sure that Naruto cosplayers are pretty far down on the hit list.
That being said, manga authors and other japanese artists have shown concern and even made a petition to the government, and they're likely more well versed in this situation than you.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Illegal everywhere in the world. I didn't know that USA laws had any impact on laws in countries like Taiwan, which in practice blatantly ignore copy right laws.

I call the line as selling stuff that doesn't belong to you.
But it's usually up to the company if they want to pursue prosecution.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Of the TPP's worrying bylaws, this is one of the least severe.

Here's a video all about the TPP.

author=Sailerius
This is actually true. America's copyright laws are very archaic.

If you put a music CD you bought into your disk drive, you're comitting piracy.

Yeah. Pretty dumb.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
In terms of anime/manga:

Not being able to cosplay? Sure that'd be a blow to the community because that's really all they have. Being subject to copyright laws like the rest of us? You've got to let the entitlement go and just work your creative muscles enough to come up with some original content.

I can't post any of my "AMVs" on Youtube like people were able to in the past; I've come to respect that because it's just the nature of the beast. Now I've made three successful (within the context of my own experience) compilation videos after getting greenlit by the original content owner's community. I've also given extensive credit to the original content owner and stated simply in the video description that should they find these productions offensive or unsavory in any manner, I will remove them immediately and with no questions asked. I have yet to be shut down.

I know my place.
Guys, I've already seen posts like this for years in the internet, multiple of these claiming the law successfully passed and a whole bunch of other things that will be made illegal. It's nothing but a conspiracy theory.
BizarreMonkey
author=Corfaisus
Being subject to copyright laws like the rest of us? You've got to let the entitlement go and just work your creative muscles enough to come up with some original content.
I might have been on your side if you actually realized how outlandish and stupid copyright laws are now regarding creative content in the U.S.

Blowing dust out of an NES cartridge, welp, that's a violation of copyright!

Also may i add that if enforced copyright laws would leave us with very little original work because people borrow from others all the time. Also silencing fan art is dumb. You're pretty much agreeing that a six year old who drew art of Goku should get over entitlement and face a prison sentence.

Maybe before posting you'd like to do some research on the subject so I don't have to call you out for saying something stupid.

As for the TPP, I'm not worried on the copyright content part even if it passes, because it's the sort of thing that would be impossible to enforce, and detrimental to society to even try. What worries me about it is that coal, gas and oil companies won't need to get permission from governments who would usually be involved in such decisions, meaning that if it passes we've come a step closer to screwing up our climate irreversibly.

I don't trust Oil giants and people like Gina Rinehart (who may I add, has pushed for North Western Australia to be NUCLEAR BOMBED to make mining easier.) to handle the future of our climate.

The law hasn't passed yet, and it's up to us to make sure it doesn't.
Yep corfaisius, what you said is a nope-nope.
Virtually every manga artist started making doujin manga -- heck, even the japanese game designers start making doujin soft! Go to comiket and you'll see the streams of Touhou doujin games!
And there's nothing wrong with that. There is actually so much right with that, that it is pretty much the standard. Discovering someone that did 100% original work from ground 0 be it in western or eastern comics will be a hard endeavour I can guarantee.
Yeah, it's pretty mindlessly silly to pretend that it's a-ok for fanart and fan content to become more strictly/enforcably criminal than it already technically is. Half the reason popular media is popular is largely due to the fan communities that surround it- look at how much fanart there is of Shonen manga, or Nintendo games. Look at Rule 34 for god sake.

I can attest that fanart has helped me discover a lot of stuff that I would have known nothing about, and led to me buying things as a direct result! It's a super useful marketing tool, if anything. Trying to close down that industry would be extremely damaging to basically everyone with creative endeavours. It would be bullshit on a universal level.

However...

BM
As for the TPP, I'm not worried on the copyright content part even if it passes, because it's the sort of thing that would be impossible to enforce, and detrimental to society to even try. What worries me about it is that coal, gas and oil companies won't need to get permission from governments who would usually be involved in such decisions, meaning that if it passes we've come a step closer to screwing up our climate irreversibly.

This is far more important than the government shutting down fanart. The world is already fucking dead because of people being miserable about climate change, but we should at least try to save it.

The fanart debacle would be the icing on the cake, really. The coporations take away your planet, and then take away the last thing you have to enjoy about it once it's gone!

Double Whammy. Major bummer, dude. Etc.
BizarreMonkey
author=LightningLord2
Warning: Ignorant doofus inbound.
You remind me of myself over in the Cheekbones thread. :P

I'm happy for you to choose not to get invested in these matters, as they are depressing and it sucks when you learn how filth industries are.

Not gonna bring you down to my level, be hella lame of me to force you into my suffering, just keep the shitposting to a minimum if you could.
@LL: The fact that the most negative expected fallout of these deals almost never occurs (visibly so, anyways) isn't a reason to not be concerned about it.

Being concerned and actively up-to-date on what the government is doing is pretty much a good thing in all cases. Hardly a "tin foil hat" scenario and more of a "I care about the planet I live on/country I live in" scenario IMO.
Lightning Lord, no reaction images/gifs/macros outside of the Welp forum.

It's also not a tinfoil hat area. People are right to be worried.
BizarreMonkey
author=Pizza
@LL: The fact that the most negative expected fallout of these deals almost never occurs (visibly so, anyways) isn't a reason to not be concerned about it.
This, also in Australia a bill no where near as broad as this was passed that basically made it so if a mining company wants to blow up your house to look for coal, which has been made LEGAL! You can only object alone and not as a community, else you face fines.

Yeah... protesting against corporate greed is already against the law.

More on that here.

The result of those kind of court cases? Typically the farmers getting a fine double what multi-billion dollar corporations get.

Basically everyone is getting wrecked except for exceptionally rich people or people like me who are lucky enough to be born into this world with a life-detrimenting disability that grants a reasonable pension and a house in the city that's fairly new.

You want to disbelieve, I understand that because oh fuck life isn't a fairytale. Welp!

This is real life, welcome to da hood muffuka.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
They make more money than I do, therefore I'm permitted to make my games using Seiken Densetsu 3 rips and One Winged Angel.

SCUMLORDS UNITE
Throw off the shackles of oppression and claim your rightful ownership of everything that doesn't belong to you! If left to their own design, BIG BUSINESS CRIMINALS (BBC) will nuke your house. Think of the children! We can't allow our understandably ignorant youth to be thrown into prison over simple drawings because there aren't already laws forbidding this from happening.

All children will be tried in a court of law as the wittingly morally bankrupt anarchistic adults that the government knows they are unless we ACT NOW!

(Complimentary coffee and donuts will be available in the lobby after the seminar.)

I also find it rather funny that some disconnected Aussie git has so much to say about the workings of alien lands.

author=BowelMovement
Also may i add that if enforced copyright laws would leave us with very little original work because people borrow from others all the time.

Diminution does not equal Sonic recolors and I would appreciate it very much so if people would actually go out of their way to itemize their points of discussion instead of lumping it all together into one massive scary strawman (like we're so fond of doing towards "SJWs"). The refusal to do so is how we so easily and habitually fall victim to Godwin's Law.

Listen, I went out of my way to legally gain the rights to make this everything that I want it to be. I've done research into what I can and can't use, albeit the facesets being the product of an artist* that was scared away from the community for one reason or another results in complications on my part. Change is scary and oftentimes a pain in the ass, but we all have to adapt to it in order to survive as mature, intelligent adults.

*If anyone can direct me towards said artist/artists, I'd be highly grateful. While the use of such resources were understood to be free to the community if proper credit was given (and the possibility of commercial revenue being an unforeseen circumstance), I'd still like to make sure that my ass won't be sued or that my game won't be taken down should I go commercial with this.
hahaha leave it to you guys to turn a topic about tpp and corporate special interests into a topic about rips

this is a non issue no matter what. regardless of what happens with this terrible, awful tpp issue, nobody cares, or ever will care about your rips (unless you try to sell your game, then yeah, but nobody ever argued that and the tpp doesn't change that one way or the other)

please salvage this topic into something intelligent. the tpp is a piece of shit legislation for many reasons but none of them have to do with rips or naruto cosplay
Pages: first 12345 next last