TPP COULD MAKE FANWORK ILLEGAL?

Liberty
We're not all like the majority of Americans who are literally bat-shit-crazy about that shit.

Source please.
author=Toaster_Team
Liberty
We're not all like the majority of Americans who are literally bat-shit-crazy about that shit.
Source please.

Yeah, um, I agree with this guy. Source?

It's totally fine to not have a personal interest in politics, but we're not little kids anymore. Politics are important, and they affect every aspect our lives. While Tyranos went overboard, it seemed like you were demonizing having a vested interest in politics. Maybe you weren't, so I mean whatever, that's my interpretation, but what really got me was...

author=Liberty

What an incredibly rude thing to say. Firstly, Americans don't have a monopoly on crazy overzealous people on politics. We have a large population, yes, and American political antics make the news, but all countries have political extremists. If someone actually pays attention to world events and doesn't get their international perspectives from memes and biased sentiments, one would realize that this is not unique to America.

Second, to make such a blanket statement; "the majority of Americans who are literally batshit crazy..." is incredibly rude and ignorant.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Most of the American's I've talked to have been far more ignorant of politics than people from other countries, keep in mind this is entirely subjective to my personal experience with different groups of people and does not at all reflect reality, whatever that is!

Because I wouldn't know. And I could not be fucked looking for a source to generalize about something so overwhelmingly unimportant.

What I can state with fidelity is that Australia's media is a lot more sanitized than yours, and it's been stated by Jordies that Americans are more aware of what's going on who watch satirical news shows like the Colbert Report and Daily Show. Contrary to how Liberty presented it, that isn't anything to be ashamed of, awareness of the faculties that govern even small parts of your life is a good thing to foster. Even if you have no love for politics, knowing where you stand with rights and legislation is very important.

Choosing to be entirely ignorant about politics is like choosing to ignore the condition of your house. You'll look one day and realize it's a fucking mess a little too late, and then you'll have no one to blame but yourself.
Apologies! >.<;

I was playing up the trope - with how a lot of American schools focus on the elections and teaching how x president was amazing and hail freedom! and how heated people get over x faction and another (Bleeding Liberals vs Redneck whatever party and something about a teaparty?) - we see a lot of that represented as a stereotype of the typical American - but I realise that came off as a bit less jokey than I'd intended. Sorry!
The problem in politics that can simplified in this way-

1.) How much can I make you bend over because oligarchy for the lulz.
2.) How much money should we give these commoners just enough money to keep them controlled without any true sense of freedom? Can't have these people travel the world, and actually become scholars!
3.) How much should we make big business, and big banks fuck you even further into oblivion?
4.) How high should we make your bills for more epic lulz?
5.) How much freedom should we chip off decade by decade?
6.) Traditional work day does not exist anymore! How much more can we drive you further into depression by working you like a slave like we do to other countries?

This is pretty much what is happening. The dark side of human nature has been left unchecked, and the reason why economies suck across the board.
@Kaliesto
It's kinda sad, but I agree. The more global you get, or the more people one person get power over, the more likely it is that that person is corrupt. It's probably because you can't really get to that position without being a specific type of person. And if you're not corrupt/egoistic from the start, the whole process of it probably changes you. Power corrupts, as the saying goes. I'm not very positive that this will change anytime soon, if history is anything to go by.

There are ways to counteract this, for example by sharing power. That's the whole idea of democracy, but there isn't really a true democracy in existence, because all we do is give a small number of people power by voting for them, essentially only giving us a false sense of control.
Liberty
Apologies! >.<;

I was playing up the trope - with how a lot of American schools focus on the elections and teaching how x president was amazing and hail freedom! and how heated people get over x faction and another (Bleeding Liberals vs Redneck whatever party and something about a teaparty?) - we see a lot of that represented as a stereotype of the typical American - but I realise that came off as a bit less jokey than I'd intended. Sorry!

Yeah, it really didn't come across as a joke but rather as a racist statement. Anyway, it's not a big deal but spreading hostility like this, even as a joke, is never a good thing imho. Personal responsability and all that.

Liberty
with how a lot of American schools focus on the elections and teaching how x president was amazing and hail freedom!

Again, that's probably more of an impression than a documented statement however. It sounds like it anyway, I might be wrong though.

Oh, you Australians and you blanket statements! :P
Uh, you missed that that was the stereotype? Because that's what I said - that that was the stereotype. Geez, reading seems to be hard for some. :/

Must be that horribly subpar education system at work!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Liberty
Uh, you missed that that was the stereotype? Because that's what I said - that that was the stereotype. Geez, reading seems to be hard for some. :/

Oh, make no mistake, it IS hard for MOST Americans. We don't even read Milton or Tennyson in our high schools, which by itself is unacceptable.
@Liberty: Oops! I did actually. My most humble apologies.

I found Milton over-rated, but I do enjoy a spot of Lord Tennyson. ;p

NP, TT, I was trying to be facetious and it seems to have failed again. I'm not in fine form for joking, it seems. >.<;
BizarreMonkey
author=Liberty

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

It works for me because us Australians make jokes like this all the time.

When an Australian has an opinion we don't think "Well... he has a right to his opinion" in our minds we just think "Ehh shaddap!"

Anyway, ITT: TPP is bad news and also I don't know what ITT stands for and I probably use it wayyyy too much given that!

If I find out it means "In Total Truth" then I guess I'm safe by that measure but it could mean anything!

I could google it but naaaahhhh!

pianotm
ITT: In This Thread.
BizarreMonkey
author=pianotm
ITT: In This Thread.
Oh.

Welp. I've still been using it correctly but I'm glad I know that.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=Toaster_Team
Yeah, it really didn't come across as a joke but rather as a racist statement.
Hold on, racist? Is "American" a race? I must have misread.
pianotm
author=Mirak
author=Toaster_Team
Yeah, it really didn't come across as a joke but rather as a racist statement.
Hold on, racist? Is "American" a race? I must have misread.

Oh, come on. You know how delusionally over-sensitive we are.
I was actually going to post that, rethought it in case it spawned a tide of "OMG UR RACITSSSS!" and figured I didn't need that idiocy in my life. I am glad someone else brought it up though.

America is made up of many races (just like Australia) and you can call yourself American, but it'd be like saying European was a race. It's not.
TPP deal reached

Technically Canada's current government can't ratify the agreement since we're in the election cycle until the 20th at which point whatever our next government will have to deal with it. Old government (Conservative) will of course ratify. Current poll leader Liberals will review and do some debate but I'd bet all the chips they sign. Trailing third NDP have so far stated that they won't be bound by it so who knows what'll happen if they form government, they haven't to date either so there isn't much precedent to use.

e: a minority would be interesting too
BizarreMonkey
Knowing how hard Donald Trump slammed some kid for putting the AIDS medication on a 500% markup (from 17 dollars to 750) I'm half expecting Trump to actually be the good guy and not agree to this deal or something should he get elected, which franklly-- is looking likely.

While it's yes, passed. Enforcing something of that magnitude is virtually impossible, and if it is, my spite and glee that all those assholes who feigned ignorance or blew me off with ignoble accusations that it was a *tinfoil hat conspiracy* will be eating shit and wishing they'd listened to me. That will almost make living in a dystopic world run by billionaire hillbillys entirely worth it.

Almost.

Hats off to you blissfully ignorant dumbasses though! For just sealing the notion of democracy away behind glass doors forever.

I want you to stay alive, just so your ignorance will catch up with you and I can laugh about it.
pianotm
BizarreMonkey
Knowing how hard Donald Trump slammed some kid for putting the AIDS medication on a 500% %5000 markup (from 17 13.50dollars to 750) I'm half expecting Trump to actually be the good guy and not agree to this deal or something should he get elected, which franklly-- is looking likely.

I'm going to have to go with Bernie Sanders, the man who turned Bloomington, Vermont from a slum shithole into a thriving community and won the respect AND vote of his republican constituents...but just keep listening to how his policies will destroy America. There's no way on Earth I'm voting for a man who screams that immigrants are taking our jobs while having his fashion line made in China.