TPP COULD MAKE FANWORK ILLEGAL?

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I want Donald Trump to get in just because he's entertaining, and stupid enough to kill us all quickly.

We're all gonna die now god knows when but may as well just let shit hit the fan so the people who are going to be most disserviced by the TPP but feigned ignorance on the matter are gonna feel it real fast.

After the 20th, that's when things'll get real interesting, will they honestly try to enforce this, or just exploit the environmental clauses of the deal to wipe their greedy asses off the planet ASAP, and all of us with em?

Come on guys, celebrate damnation with me!
Liberty
I was actually going to post that, rethought it in case it spawned a tide of "OMG UR RACITSSSS!" and figured I didn't need that idiocy in my life. I am glad someone else brought it up though.

America is made up of many races (just like Australia) and you can call yourself American, but it'd be like saying European was a race. It's not.

You misunderstand Liberty and (with all due respect) are speaking out of ignorance.

Making a blanket statement about the people from a country being a certain way is still considered to be racism (to some) even if it doesn't refer to "races" as such.

Source: "Racism" in R. Schefer. 2008 Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity and Society. SAGE. p. 1113

Correct me if I'm wrong however, in which case I'd be glad to know.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I doubt anyone important is going to care about what the little people are doing, and that's why we're so easy to control. We're living in a dystopia now, but we don't realize it because the police are marching down someone else's street, trampling on someone else's rights. The mentality is simple: "It's not happening to me, ergo it must not be happening." That's not even the bad thing. It's okay to be disconnected. What's bad is when you're so inured that you attack other people because they DO realize what's going on.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
piano, you're making it sound like that hasn't been true for the entirety of human history.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Jeroen_Sol
piano, you're making it sound like that hasn't been true for the entirety of human history.

Ah, well, I don't mean to. It's just the way things are.
Sated
I'd imagine it's used that way because there are probably a lot of people people who don't know that the word "xenophobia" exists. Also, "racism" is such an evocative word that it can easily be misused.

I doubt it. "Xenophobia" is a pretty common word and people who contribute to Encyclopedias about race, ethnicity and society are probably well aware it exists. I'm pretty sure that they are well aware of the various types of racism that exists (which, on the other hand, a lot of people don't seem to be aware of).

If you're interested about this you can find more information here:

http://www.sage-ereference.com/view/ethnicity/SAGE.xml;jsessionid=54A01997A29815919CBA97501FDDA2B2?jumpTo=R

Just so you know, Xenophobia is in there too:
http://www.sage-ereference.com/view/ethnicity/n598.xml

BizarreMonkey
author=pianotm
I doubt anyone important is going to care about what the little people are doing, and that's why we're so easy to control. We're living in a dystopia now, but we don't realize it because the police are marching down someone else's street, trampling on someone else's rights. The mentality is simple: "It's not happening to me, ergo it must not be happening." That's not even the bad thing. It's okay to be disconnected. What's bad is when you're so inured that you attack other people because they DO realize what's going on.
Sounds like some people who are going to suffer and I'm going to enjoy it because I'm a spiteful toxic subhuman.

If you wanna be just ignorant, that's fine. It's not worth getting stressed about something that's so much bigger than you.

Attacking other people for being concerned about it is a low, though. But now that you've foolishly accepted oblivion against your knowledge I'm going to laugh because I was right.

Sure, I'll be dead, but you will be too.

That said, I'm overestimating the rate of procession, I think.

But I want you to know when your rotting in a detainment cell of burning on the now hellish earth you've unwittingly contributed towards ailing, let that blood on your hands or the stink in your cell remind you that I was right and that you have been complacent in your own demise, you could have listened, you could have not been a self-righteous asshole (Like I'm being now) to those who knew the facts, but now, you will suffer knowing you were such a wanker, and that tickles me pink.

Does that make me evil? No, it makes me petty, psychotic and spiteful, but hey, you can tell yourself that I'll die too! That might keep you going until Death has no more cheat codes for you.

Humans are such vividly savage creatures... it's incredible. If there's any miracle us wiping ourselves out will have it's that the Universe may survive longer without our ... experimenting, with forces beyond our comprehension.

Forces that just should not be fucked with.
Dystopias are fine for the majority as long as resources are abundant. Give it 50 years until population numbers reach critical mass and a larger percent won't be able to live comfortably and we will have to make some tough choices, unless those choices are made for us. Well, that's the worst case scenario. Maybe something will change until then.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Bizarremonkey, dude, being willfully ignorant is how the smallfolk have survived throughout all of history. This is not the first time rights are being trampled on, and it certainly won't be the last, but yeah, I think you are indeed grossly overestimating the rate of procession. If things would turn to shit that quickly, they would have turned to shit long ago.

And experimenting with forces we have no idea about is how modern life even became possible. Don't bash on science for exploring the unknown, when you yourself are telling people not to be willfully ignorant. Us humans really have no influence on the universe as a whole. We just try to understand it. What CERN does is no more than causing events that already happen randomly in a controlled manner, so that we can study those events.
BizarreMonkey
It's not like I'm bashing on the science being developed, but being what a cynic i am, all I can think of is the downsides.

Also I'm probably yeah, grossly over-reacting, too.

I wouldn't trust anyone with the power to travel through time. Not myself, sure as heck not anyone else.
Bizarremonkey, stop being so edgy.
BizarreMonkey
author=Feldschlacht IV
Bizarremonkey, stop being so edgy.
No.

Also, we do have one last chance.
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/tpp_2015_sl_6/?biZMHcb&v=66158

author=Corfaisus
I also find it rather funny that some disconnected Aussie git has so much to say about the workings of alien lands.
I've no plans to reignite this, just wanna say that I'm not happy I have delved into it, but alien lands as they may be, the TPP effects everyone. It's Trans-pacific, yo!

author=Corfaisus
I would appreciate it very much so if people would actually go out of their way to itemize their points of discussion instead of lumping it all together into one massive scary strawman
Last thing, I provided videos that provided source material about it, I'll link the leaked TPP bills too if I must. But I gather the reason you didn't find the points of itemization is because you didn't look/didn't want to know, if the latter, you could have really saved yourself a lot of stress and me a lot of insufferable posting by staying out of it.

If the former, then here's an in-depth analysis on the TPP by Professor Jane Kelsey.
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-soe-minister/analysis/page-1.html
From the first bolded number 1, you can already see how dangerous this bill is.

It's not a tinfoil hat conspiracy, and if that doesn't prove it to you, then I don't know what will.

Also considering it's actually passed (it can't yet be enforced), that more or less makes it as real as SOPA and PIPA, only it wasn't shelved like it should have been.
author=BizarreMonkey
Sounds like some people who are going to suffer and I'm going to enjoy it because I'm a spiteful toxic subhuman.

Spiteful? Yes.

Toxic? Yeah, kinda.

Subhuman? Nah. Unless you have people chained up in your basement and are doing horrible immoral things to them without their consent. THAT would make you subhuman. Being a cynical jerk doesn't.

Anyway, the more I hear about TPP, the more I worry for the future of the Information Age.

While I don't think it'll instantly implode and take the entire western economy down with it, the language in the bill is there and it has the potential to ruin the internet, destroy creative enterprise and just overall make a huge mess of everything, eventually culminating in economic collapse due to shortsighted profit-grabbing. >_>
I doubt anything that has to do with economy will take anything resembling major damage. The only ones that will suffer are the little people, as usual (no, I am not refering to the dwarves).
BizarreMonkey
author=Aegix_Drakan
author=BizarreMonkey
Spiteful? Yes.

Toxic? Yeah, kinda.

Subhuman? Nah. Unless you have people chained up in your basement and are doing horrible immoral things to them without their consent. THAT would make you subhuman. Being a cynical jerk doesn't.
I think this is the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

author=Aegix_Drakan
Anyway, the more I hear about TPP, the more I worry for the future of the Information Age.

While I don't think it'll instantly implode and take the entire western economy down with it, the language in the bill is there and it has the potential to ruin the internet, destroy creative enterprise and just overall make a huge mess of everything, eventually culminating in economic collapse due to shortsighted profit-grabbing. >_>
The economy isn't what I'm worried about being taken away, it's the rights of people.
author=BizarreMonkey
author=Aegix_Drakan
Spiteful? Yes.

Toxic? Yeah, kinda.

I think this is the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Oh wow, really?!

Then I should counter it with the MEANEST thing anyone's ever said to you!

Are you ready, BizarreMonkey? HERE IT IS! :D

author=Aegix_Drakan

The economy isn't what I'm worried about being taken away, it's the rights of people.

Yeah, I think everyone's worried about losing rights. But that's just the FIRST thing the TPP will do. It can do much more than that. :(

I mention the economy collapsing because it's an example of how shortsighted the TPP is. They do it for "economic reasons", but if used as intended, it could destroy said economy, meaning the whole thing is just based in stupidity. It's an angle few people cover so I thought I'd do it.
BizarreMonkey
Last week, WikiLeaks released the final text of the TPP’s intellectual property rights chapter and it is absolutely terrifying.

These are just a few of its most dangerous pieces:

Compel ISPs to take down websites without any sort of court order, just like SOPA. (Appendix Section I)

Extend the US’s copyright regime to require copyrights stand for life plus 70 years, preventing anyone from using works that belong in the public domain. (Article QQ.G.6)

Criminalize whistleblowing by extending trade secrets laws without any mandatory exemptions for whistleblowers or investigative journalists. (QQ.H.8)

End anonymity online by forcing every domain name to be associated with a real name and address. (Article QQ.C.12)

Make it illegal to unlock, modify, or generally tinker with a device you own. (Article QQ.G.10)

Export the US’s broken copyright policies to the rest of the world without expanding any of the free speech protections, like fair use. (Article QQ.G.17)

This is the last chance.
https://www.fightthetpp.org/?t=dXNlcmlkPTU1NjkxNDIzLGVtYWlsaWQ9MTAwMzA=

author=Aegix_Drakan
Oh wow, really?!
Lol, no, not really! It was a joke.
author=Aegix_Drakan
Then I should counter it with the MEANEST thing anyone's ever said to you!

Are you ready, BizarreMonkey? HERE IT IS! :D
Well you just made my day so I guess you won.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Who are the people pushing for this law again? What benefit does someone have out of enforcing these ridiculous policies? I don't get it. :/
http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/10/backlash-against-tpp-builds/

Read the article, and the comments (they aren't toxic (much))

Basically, I am hearing the same shit from every member country - "This helps megacorps at the expense of sovereign nations and people"