HELP ME FIND AN OLD GAME!

Pages: 1

Alright, so I've gotta ask this question again. There's this game I remember from my distant childhood, and it looks sort of like the image above.

I don't remember the name of it, obviously, or really much about it. What I do remember is:

-It featured a level creator.
-The main gameplay involved coloured locks that were red, yellow and blue, and keys or something.
-There were animated escalators in the levels that took you between floors. Some were only down, some were only up.
-There were hazards like spikes and lava.
-The game was old. I played it either during or before 2001, but it had very primitive graphics.
-That being said, it ran on Windows 98, so it wasn't some other brand of PC like a Commodore or Amiga.

This is all I've got. This game is last piece of my gaming history I've yet to re-discover, so any help would be appreciated!
Could it be "Castlequest" or "Solomon's Key"?
Nope. Castle Quest has a very similar aesthetic but it's not the same game.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
What you describe kind of reminds me of a game I played a long time ago starring Treasure Trolls. I don't think that's what you're looking for based on the image you provided though.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Could it be Chip's Challenge?

Here
author=oddRABBIT
Could it be Chip's Challenge?

Here

Chip's Challenge has no escalators.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That really sounds like Mario vs. Donkey Kong. A Donkey Kong clone that featured colored doors and walls that could be opened with keys and buttons, and had a level editor.

The problem is, this is a 2004 game for the Game Boy Advance, and looks way too good. (Were you maybe playing it on an emulator?)

It definitely sounds like a Donkey Kong clone of some kind, from the way you're describing it, and this is the oldest one made by Nintendo that had a level editor, but maybe there was some off-brand clone that had one earlier.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Was it Lode Runner or something close?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Okay after looking into this some I'm pretty sure the game you're talking about is Trolls on Treasure Island.

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
That fits with the description quite well.
Can we turn this into a general "Find old games" topic?

I have one myself - it was a C64 game where you play a wizard that plants & protects trees, which you have to use in a platforming level afterwards.
None of the games so far have been the one I'm looking for, so if you want to turn it into that kind of thread you're more than welcome.

The closest things to the game I'm looking for have been Lode Runner and a Lode Runner knockoff called Gold Runner, but neither of them are the game in question. The game Jetpack is also pretty similar, but it's further off the mark than the first two.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
You mean it really wasn't the game solitayre mentioned? D:
Pages: 1