NOSTALGIC GAME MUSIC

Pages: first 12 next last
I just went on a nostalgia streak the other day and spent an hour or two listening to music from games I used to play as a kid. For me, the music from Crystal Warriors on the Sega Game Gear is probably one of the most memorable OSTs.

I used to play this game for more hours than I can count, but to this day, I have never met another person that also had a Game Gear, and much less this game. It's both a great game and the music is really memorable, a real hidden gem (or is it crystal?). Give it a spin on a emulator or something, if you never saw it before (it's turn based strategy).
Anyway, let's share some nostalgia inducing game-music, yes?

I'm a nostalgia nerd for snes music and in terms of raw nostalgia this one takes the cake. I love the snes synth in it, the melody, and SoE was one of my favorite SNES games that lil'me actually owned. Lots of love and nostalgia in this track. Most of the tracks I'd post if I went full bore would be SNES tracks.

Now this one is the only music I could find from the game on youtube but it'll do well enough. Legend of Cao Cao was a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game I found ages ago just looking for RTK styled games when I found it. It's a strategy RPG where the first half follows the book and the rest does its own thing. It's my favorite SRPG to date and I played through it despite it being in another language and only having a face->name chart. Game fucking owns and I even managed to help get it translated to English! It'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

Way back when Napster and Kazaa were things I remember trying to get game OSTs through them so I could listen to game music without relying on vgmusic.com, and to play them on a stereo or a cd player I'd have to burn my own music CD. Well back then I didn't have nearly as comprehensive library, or even complete, as I do now and lots of those CDs would have some overlap. Mix that with being a kid and I started a lot of my music CDs back then with the above track.

Anyways that's my nostalgic music trip report.

Tristram music from the original Diablo. I don't think a videogame track has ever captured the mood or setting of a game better since. It still chills me to the bone listening to it now.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
One of my old time PSX faves.
BizarreMonkey
author=Sated
I only ever played Diablo 1 on the Playstation, which wasn't as great an experience as it would've been if I'd had it on PC...
I didn't even know it had a Playstation port, jesus christ.

Here's old old old me. 8 year old me.

Or this, if you like...

Or my first real action platformer. Also, 8.

I could have basically put the entire soundtrack here, but the two opening songs are more than good enough to get my point across. Every time I listen to these songs I'm more than likely going to tear up a bit, and absolutely going to want to play Paper Mario all over gain.

Again, could have thrown the whole soundtrack here, but this song is my favourite out of all of them, and I think it gets the whole feeling of the OST across really well. Being the first "serious" RPG I ever played, FF7 was and still is a huge inspiration to me.

Of course, there's also the Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie soundtracks:

I'm surprised it took this long for a FF VII song to pop up.
Rusty Bucket Bay and Click Clock Wood are really
good examples of nostalgia.

DKC2 soundtrack was a dream.. @______@
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was probably the first game I've played which had an atmospheric focus with its dungeon music.

This one is my particular favorite. I really got a sense of mystery and a bit of melancholy from this track:

The Wind Fish Egg dungeon music literally scared me when I was a kid. It always encouraged me to get to the nightmare boss as soon as possible.
Yesterday I just, for some reason I can't remember right now, talked briefly about Tecmo Cup Soccer and... well

I listened to the music and I had an almost pavlovian response. It's nostalgic but it also... makes me nervous and almost angry. No game had me throwing controllers across the room as that game. And that music (and this one more probably) is just part of that.
author=SnowOwl
For me, the music from Crystal Warriors on the Sega Game Gear is probably one of the most memorable OSTs.
Oh my, there is someone else in this world who played on Game Gear? Hello there, brother! I love this console so much tha I've got it repaired few years ago and still play it today;) So underrated and forgotten.

For me, nostalgia kicks in, when I hear this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcOWlXkv9gg
It was the first game I got on Game Gear, finished it about 214 times and I can play every track in mind from memory.

I love midi music, and here are some other examples (from C64 games) I love to listen to from time to time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wr2yGSdXmw
- great track, the game was crappy, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iR7OSNKFI
- this is epic, and the game was quite good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfsY4CnJzA
- it's not like I played only Batman;)

And from younger games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOuy4YM0AI
- immortal hero, immortal music, immortal game.

PS. (edit)
Ah, and one more unforgettable music for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrx7Ir4xbok

Take care, guys!
@Bogo
I still got mine too, in a box hidden away somewhere. Last time I tried it, it even worked too.
Thanks for this topic! I was looking for a reason to start a music thread, but couldn't quite think of one.

Super Mario Land 2

Super Mario World

I could've chosen any composition from this game, but I decided on this one, because it's amazing:

Kirby's Dreamland

Not really a favorite, but I have some enjoyable memories from this one:

Snake Rattle 'n Roll

author=Aetherrevival
Super Mario World

Shit right here is my jam. <3

Heard it god knows how many times, but it'll never get old.
BizarreMonkey

PSX era you never disappoint.

Also.
author=zacheatscrackers
author=Aetherrevival
Super Mario World
Shit right here is my jam. <3

Heard it god knows how many times, but it'll never get old.

Agreed. This track easily makes it on my top 5 Mario favorites. I also enjoyed just watching the looped gameplay video that went along with it.

Of course, that had to be done sparingly. Parents are not too particular about leaving the electricity running.
I used to play This on the arcades...

I used too play these games on my pirated famicom all the time...

My brother bought this CD Full of snes romes and we used to play with them
we didn't know what a "savestate" is so we just played the games like normal
and this is the first game we beat..

Pages: first 12 next last