[RM2K][RM2K3] IMPORTANT: TO PATCH DEVS: A MISTAKE CAN CAUSE THE RM TO DELETE YOUR HARDDISK!

Pages: 1
Hallo, sorry for this kind of special thread here, but I had an experience I have to share with you:

When you mess something up in the RM2k(3) Editor so that something crashes while the main window is being loaded (e.g. because you messed something up when editing the TFORMLCFMAIN resource), the RPG Maker will start deleting all files on your harddisk! While doing so, it will appear to hang with 100% CPU in the splash screen.

To be exact, all files on the drive in which the current directory is located are being deleted. This happens because the developer made two oversights:
1) After an exception while loading the main window, the destructor is still called. There, the temp directory of the RM is being deleted, among other things, even if the variable for the temp directory hasn't been initialized yet.
2) The "DeleteDirTree" function doesn't handle the case of passing it an empty string in any special way. It just appends "\*" and starts deleting, which effectively tries to delete all the files on the drive.

So, be careful!

Before anybody panics here: This doesn't affect the game (RPG_RT.exe), but only the editor, and only if you mess with it*.
*: Well, theoretically it could also happen if something fails during loading because of a virus, a hardware fault, etc., but it's very unlikely.

Best regards,
Cherry

EDIT: Ironically, somebody who wanted to translate RM2k3 into Russian sent me an email about a week ago that this happened to him, but I didn't have time to look at the issue yet. Now it caught me as well. :| Luckily, I was able to restore all the deleted files (which were tens of thousands after a few seconds!).
unity
You're magical to me.
O_O SCARY!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
2k3 is now so old that it's literally decomposing.
O_O
But the new version or the old(pirated)?
Can this be stopped?

I mean, it must be stopped.
@kaine87: All.
@bulmabriefs144: Do you mean stopping it while it's deleting? Just kill it. Do you mean fixing the bug? Yes, in the official version it will be fixed during the next update.

But as long as you don't mess with the RPG2003.exe's resources in Resource Hacker, you should be fine...
Not really visualizing this thing...

So is it while you are editing with Resource Hacker, something crashes = everything crashes and burns? Or is it, a year ago, I used Resource Hacker, then I go to start up the game today and do it wrong = everything crashes?

Do you have a screenshot where it destroys your computer?
If you mess up editing the Editor's .exe file and then run it, and it hangs on the loading screen, it will be deleting all files.
@bulmabriefs144: I put in bold print above that it's only about the editor and not the game engine. Most likely it happens when you edit the TFORMLCFMAIN resource in the editor (which represents the main window) and did a mistake in the code, let's say you accidentally change the name "ToolBar1" to "FoolBar1" or something like this. Then, when you start the edited editor, it will do what I described.
Pages: 1