NEW DEVELOPER MAPPING HELP THREAD

@Corfaisus I am always nervous when doing shadows, even on normal drawings. My mind can't focus and I end up thinking I'm not putting enough in. The second is a mere dungeon hallway. I didn't know what to put in it. Finally, I know I messed up with the door. I thought improvising would be a good idea.

@StormCrow The first two maps were the first two maps I had done ever. I am trying to do better, but apparently, it wasn't enough.
Pro tip: Your first map is always going to be bad. You'll get better so don't stress about it too much. As long as you keep working at it you'll get there.

Take a look at how other games use their tiles - browse some games that use the tiles you're using and look at their screenshots to get an idea of how things fit together. You can also check out the Sample maps in the engine - right-click on the map area of the window and choose Load Map. (That said, it's not advised to use them for your own game, but they're a decent way to see how tiles are supposed to be used together. Heads up that any images of actual sample maps on game pages won't be counted for the amount needed to get the game page on the site.)

You can do it~ I look forward to seeing your revised images! >.<)b
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Liberty
Pro tip: Your first map is always going to be bad.

Oh God yes. Dude, when I first started off in 2002, I made a dragon game called "Dragon Quest" where you play as the blue flying Rm2k RTP dragon and you saved the world. What did the world look like? Well, it's long since been deleted, but here's a pretty accurate representation of what it did.

click for music

This was about my skill level up through 2006, because I was never told how to "git gud". I started experimenting and this was what I came up with circa 2007.

"Slow rise. ~ba buh ba bum~ Take it easaaay."♫♪

But after that I really put my nose to the grindstone and set out on improving. I experimented with mixing chipsets together, slight adjustments to certain tiles and the passability options and now I've got stuff like this. Even now I'm learning and improving. The steps are slow, but put time and effort into it and you'll get there.
Are these any better?

(If you are wondering why there are tiles behind the treasure, it's spoilers. I had the lighting effect on so they couldn't be seen. However, this made so you couldn't see the outer edges either.)
@StormCrow The first two maps were the first two maps I had done ever. I am trying to do better, but apparently, it wasn't enough.

Well if you were trying to do better with the second two maps I saw than the first two, I all I can say is that you succeeded with Flying Colors! But I'm not in charge of the queue.

author=Corfaisus
mad skillz and how I got them
Of course, some of us sort of plateau at a level of mapping where we're at least definitely not harming the eyes of ourselves or others, and train our focus on endlessly growing and improving on the other apsects of game design. At least that was the case for me.

author=Magia's Latest
For the most part I'd say yeah, they're noticeably better. On this one, however, I still think you need to find a ceiling tile (a black rectangle with a border; there should be lots of them in the tileset, it doesn't REALLY matter that much which you use) and rectangle drag it over the two-or-three (I can't tell because what is MV am-i-rite?) top tiles of that map, all the way across. Provided your map is indoors. If that map is meant to be outdoors, on a ledge outside of a big stepped pyramid or a tower with lots of terraces or whatever, then the roof tile you have there is fine IMHO. I'm talking specifically about appropriate tile usage, not overall prettiness.
Actually, the black tiles are dead space. Same with the cave outline.

EDIT: Ok, wait, how's this?

They look much better. I would recommend making smaller, more compact rooms so you don't have to fill them up with so much random stuff. For example, the bedroom(?) is huge - so big you had to put a piano in there to eat up a bit of the room. Smaller is usually better not only for you but also for your player.
Even if the sprites are going to be 48x96?
Maybe show an example?
That's the other major problem I have right now. I bought a character base set, but can't find any clothes that fit the sprites or upload it to the character generator.

Since I bought this set, I rather not waste the money by using something else.

As embarrassing as this looks, here's a link to the bedroom with the sprites in it.

Base Sprites.
Okay the bedroom is still too big. An easy rule of thumb is that each tile is about 1m x 1m, but even if they weren't there's just SO much floor space in there. You could cut it in half and still have more than enough room for everything, even the piano if you want to keep it there. You also need to add a wall tile under the ceiling tile at the door of the room - else your players will be able to walk on the roof (and because it makes sense that even doorways have wall tiles on the sides to hold the ceiling up).

A very quick example with substitutions for some tiles. It doesn't quite fit all the tiles in the room, but then why do armour stands, multiple chairs, pianos and other misc need to be in a bedroom at all? At the bottom are box tops, supposed to represent the tops of cabinets/wardrobes/bookshelves, pushed up against the back wall, giving the illusion that there is space behind that ceiling tile at the bottom (which there would be at this angle). The conveyer belt on the bottom-right stands in for the side-facing cabinet. As you can see, the smaller space makes the room look more like an actual bedroom with focus on being a place for sleep, study and relaxing. It's also cosier and a lot easier to fill in without plonking down random tiles to 'fill the space'.

...I don't think I can work on maps anymore until I at least get the sprite issue fixed. I want everything to be proportionally correct and that bed was too small if nothing else.
author=MagiaVW
...I don't think I can work on maps anymore until I at least get the sprite issue fixed. I want everything to be proportionally correct and that bed was too small if nothing else.

Practice making maps anyway. Even if you don't end up using them. You need to develop your skill and learn how to manipulate the tilesets. Your first couple of maps are going to suck anyway (because everyone's first maps suck) so you might as well get that out of your system on something that won't be used in your game.

Also advice, if you spend all your time agonizing over finding the perfect graphics you will never finish a project. Just use what you have now. And replace assets later.
author=Daria
author=MagiaVW
Practice making maps anyway. Even if you don't end up using them. You need to develop your skill and learn how to manipulate the tilesets. Your first couple of maps are going to suck anyway (because everyone's first maps suck) so you might as well get that out of your system on something that won't be used in your game.

Also advice, if you spend all your time agonizing over finding the perfect graphics you will never finish a project. Just use what you have now. And replace assets later.

Explain to me then how can I make a map if the maps that are "good" are awful looking to me and nothing that I want to make?
author=MagiaVW
author=Daria
author=MagiaVW

Explain to me then how can I make a map if the maps that are "good" are awful looking to me and nothing that I want to make?

If you feel that way, why are you asking for advice?

Just make the game you want to make. But even if you don't like the style of smaller maps you will still benefit from practice. Level design is a skill like any other and the more you do it the more you'll improve.
author=Daria
If you feel that way, why are you asking for advice?

Just make the game you want to make. But even if you don't like the style of smaller maps you will still benefit from practice. Level design is a skill like any other and the more you do it the more you'll improve.

Sorry for being rude, this has just had me upset all day. I wanted to make a game page here, but it was rejected due to my maps. I came here to find out what I did wrong.
author=Daria
author=MagiaVW

Practicing is good, while not seeming useful in the beginning, pays of. While art of mapping is quite simple with tools that rpg makers provide, there are tricks you only learn by just working on it.
author=MagiaVW
That's the other major problem I have right now. I bought a character base set, but can't find any clothes that fit the sprites or upload it to the character generator.

Since I bought this set, I rather not waste the money by using something else.

There's a tool called the "RPG Maker MV Extended Generator" which can work with non standard sprites. But you still have to make or acquire the parts to fit your sprite.

Alternatively, import your bases into an image editor and draw the clothing as layers on top. Put everything in its own layer, so you can easily reuse and alter. Export as a flattened PNG for the RPGMaker.
Well, for one the punctuation is mangled. You need to add a space after , and .
Also the word revenge is kinda hard to read. But otherwise, well, it's alright as a character blurb I guess?