A ROUND-UP ABOUT THE BOT SITUATION

Pages: first 12 next last
As some of you (most of you) may know, last/this week saw us fending off a bot invasion of ... well, quite a large scale actually. The invasion went on for a few days, with quite a few topics posted in the forums (well over 600 by my last count). After some quick and fast patching we (anky~ ^.^) finally got it figured out and we've yet to see the bastards return. Yay for anky! Yay for sticky-tape!

Those of you who have posted a new topic since then (or joined the site) may have noticed a few differences. Yes, we changed the classic 'Are you a bot?' question, sadly - it was too easy for them to figure out - and have added a captcha that is randomised so as to stop the evil botmaster in his/her tracks.

So what actually happened and who was behind this? No idea, really. We got seriously slammed on Friday night by over 500 posts and the next few days were a flurry of patching, locking, moving and checking every hour or so. The site sign-up was closed for a day or two on and off while anky worked his magic using only tape and nails that he had on hand (man's a whiz!)

We suspect that the perpetrator was human due to the way they got past not only the required human interaction of the signing up to the site (you have to physically copy/paste a key, as more recent members will know) but also kept posting even after the question was changed and the captcha was put in place. So more work was needed to fix the issue.

Now, new bodies will only be able to post one topic a day until they've been on the site for a while. It's annoying, we know, but it was one of the only ways to stop the influx. We've also got a few background bits and bobs working to help contain spammers, so hopefully that'll work out.

So far, so good though. Just letting you all know the basics as to the sudden changes to posting threads.

A big thanks to those who helped report the bots/spammers as they popped up - I know I had slack on and got warnings when they popped up from the people there. Thanks guys.

A huge thanks to my fellow spam-killers - Shinan and GRS. You guys do good work!

And mostly a very, very big thanks to Ankylo who went well out of his way to fight off the invasion with a toothpick and cardboard shield. He spent a lot of time working on fixing the issue and deserves a hearty round of thanks (and ale!) for it. Our hero, anky! ^.^

Lastly, thanks to those of you who were online during the spamfest who kept your cool and just carried on as usual. Kudos!
unity
You're magical to me.
You guys are amazing! A round of applause for both the containment and fixing of the issue! *claps * ^_^
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
Now, new bodies will only be able to post one topic a day until they've been on the site for a while. It's annoying, we know, but it was one of the only ways to stop the influx.

Honestly, that's probably a good policy, anyway, so new kids don't get too excited about this new sphere of interaction.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
How long is the timer for the new users? I could imagine that being kinda frustrating but I totally get it at the same time. Is there a warning when you sign up about that, so you don't make an intro topic and then realize you can't ask in the help forum about how to make a CMS in 2k3?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=Liberty
We suspect that the perpetrator was human...

Now this raises all sorts of question. What... possible benefit stands from taking the time to do that? I guess I just don't understand the cyber arsonist mindset.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
It doesn't actually take all that much time: You find the signup process, set up a bot to take care of that, then set up a bot to spam the shit out of everything.

Spam works by being super cheap and easy, so even if only one or two people out of thousands take the bait, you've made some level of profit.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Sooz
Spam works by being super cheap and easy, so even if only one or two people out of thousands take the bait, you've made some level of profit.

How exactly would they make a viable profit, assuming that no one is stupid enough to actually click the links posted in those bot threads?
Sooz
author=Ratty524
assuming that no one is stupid enough to actually click the links posted in those bot threads?

There's your trouble.

Your question is basically, "Why do we have police, assuming nobody is terrible enough to break the law?"
Why the hell do people even do this kind of mega-swarm bot spam?

All it ever does is drive people off the attacked forum until it's either purged or it dies. It provides NO advertising effect whatsoever. I mean, if it's one topic or two, someone might fall for it and click. If it's a few hundred? Only the most terminally naive wouldn't realize something screwy was going on.

It's so senseless.
Beep beep beedly beedly beep.

I mean, good job, human, there are certainly no bots among us.
Kinda makes me feel like a survivor of a terrible robot apocalypse that nearly wiped out mankind.
author=Ratty524
author=Sooz
How exactly would they make a viable profit, assuming that no one is stupid enough to actually click the links posted in those bot threads?

I clicked the links. They all led to 404 pages. Doubly intriguing.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Well done all, especially our valiant Anky and his cohort of tin foil armoured defenders.

Need to make sure that Anky fund is enough to pick up some replacement tape and toothpicks for the next onslaught.
author=Craze
How long is the timer for the new users? I could imagine that being kinda frustrating but I totally get it at the same time. Is there a warning when you sign up about that, so you don't make an intro topic and then realize you can't ask in the help forum about how to make a CMS in 2k3?

One post every 24 hours for the first 30 days. I might relax that now that it is under control.

There is nothing in the sign-up right now, but I will update it once I've decided on the final details.
author=Ratty524
author=Sooz

Someone posted in another thread about these bots that the posters make money by simply making the post. They aren't getting paid by the link click, they are getting paid by the post posted.

Or something like that.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Had to be exhausting. I'm thinking on you, while drinking my high-caffeine coffee!

author=Craze

There probably are appropriate general help threads. It can learn some users checking on tuts too.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
One post per 24 hours? I thought one thread per 24 hours.
And 30 days, woah. Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker for newcomers.
I vote we bite the bullet and take the "Shoot Many Robots" route to eliminate the bot scum once and for all.

jk, good job all around, all.
author=Mirak
One post per 24 hours? I thought one thread per 24 hours.
And 30 days, woah. Hopefully that's not a dealbreaker for newcomers.

Erm, yea, one thread per 24 hours is what I meant...not post.
Pages: first 12 next last