GENEROSITY

Pages: 1
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
I'm being too generous, help.

Jokes aside, I am in need of some advice. Playing back some of my games, I give out way too many items. Like I had over 14 ATK ups and 16 DEF ups, etc.

I need some advice on where and when I should place items. If stat buff items should actually be droplets, if I am adding too many potions, status aliments, etc.

How do you guys deal with item droplets?

EDIT: This can also apply to currency.
Well, a simple solution to stat buff items...is to not give them at all. They are a bit of a wild card in the design, and harder to balance as opposed to stat progression in a class over levels.

In general, item drops should reflect the area they are found, and potential player need. If you have an area with lots of poisoning monsters, give items that cure that occasionally. If its a really long dungeon, give a few HP/MP restores so that players don't have to trek back out.

Currency requires a bit more math. Tease out, on average, how many random encounters your players will get into between Town A and Town B if they get a bit lost. Then compare that to the cost of the gear there. Do you want them to buy everything from random encounters without grinding, or be a bit strapped? Finding better gear in areas should also be taken into account, as that tends to reduce need for currency, as does healing items and the like.

You could also graph currency vs effort. How much resources do you expect a party to use up fighting this enemy? If on average, 2 encounters will cost the party 50 hp, you should at -least- give as much money to buy an item to restore that, but likely double if not more.
Pages: 1