WHY THERE ISN'T ANY MEGAMI TENSEI FAN-GAMES?

Pages: 1
I only found like 2 persona games (WIP) but no Megami tensei games...I just got into this series lately and i really liked the whole concept.
But still,There isn't alot of intrest in these kind of games here..i guess.
I'm sure there is but most people tend to take ideas from games and not actually make fangames based on the games. It's quite possible that those who like the series took notes on game design from them and are using those notes to make their games better.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
"Make the game you wish to see in this world." ~ Gandhi
author=Sated
author=Liberty
I'm sure there is but most people tend to take ideas from games and not actually make fangames based on the games. It's quite possible that those who like the series took notes on game design from them and are using those notes to make their games better.
Basically this.

I've never fully understood making a fan-game. I think the strangest thing about people making Final Fantasy fan-games is that they could easily drop Final Fantasy from the name and have their own RPG. In most cases, all the developer would have to do is replace chocobos with some other animal you can ride and refrain from calling a character Cid. They'd basically be good to go after that.

This is true, however

I'm pretty sure people only do it because they think they'll get more views that way. Maybe they're right.

This is not.

As a Zelda fan game maker my reason for doing it is because I really like the Zelda universe. I have a chance to use a great working formula and add my own new ideas to the mix. Especially if someone is just starting out with RPGmaker, they will already have a selection of tiles and sounds/music to use.

It's the same reason people use RTP, except it's something instantly recognizable and already beloved by many people(and looks way better than RTP). It does help get more views but that's not the reason, it's a happy side effect. There are other non-gamemaker people who also like the Zelda universe and enjoy seeing more games made in it.

And in Zelda's case they may get a harder more enjoyable game since Zelda games are generally too easy and I always hated that. Here's a big scary boss, so just run around back and hit him in the butt so he falls down and you can slice his face. Do that 3 times and you win.

Also, some people aren't as creative as others. Coming up with all new content doesn't come easy and that shouldn't stop a person from being able to make a game.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=riderx40
I only found like 2 persona games (WIP) but no Megami tensei games...I just got into this series lately and i really liked the whole concept.
But still,There isn't alot of intrest in these kind of games here..i guess.

I found one a long, long time ago. That was another computer, though, and I can't remember the name. It was definitely on this site though...You can try a search. The Google search on the top right works. You won't always find what you're looking for but if the keywords you use are anywhere in the game page, you should, and the game I'm thinking of says right in the gamepage that it's a Shin Megami Tensei fan game and alerts you that you will die...a lot.

Edit: Not exactly a fan game, but claims to be heavily inspired.

This one is based on Shin Megami Tensei. (Mind you, I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't want to find that game I was talking about and play it again.)

Here it is. It wasn't too hard to find. Not many of these claim to be based on Shin Megami Tensei, but do claim to be inspired, and I found a lot more than this on my search, so there are actually a few SMT games on RMN, it's just that there are so many games, specific types can be hard to find.
Thanks,Morphos Metaphor will take WAY too much time too download.
But from all of these Fracture is the one that resemble a proper Megami tesei Fan-game.
But i will give Speak no Evil a try...looks cool.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Link_2112
As a Zelda fan game maker my reason for doing it is because I really like the Zelda universe.

Exactly. That is also why I'm making an ace attorney fan game. It has nothing to do with views.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Sated
author=Liberty
Basically this.

I've never fully understood making a fan-game. I think the strangest thing about people making Final Fantasy fan-games is that they could easily drop Final Fantasy from the name and have their own RPG. In most cases, all the developer would have to do is replace chocobos with some other animal you can ride and refrain from calling a character Cid. They'd basically be good to go after that. I'm pretty sure people only do it because they think they'll get more views that way. Maybe they're right.

while you are correct about being able to esaily drop the name, i would put forth that most ff fangames are in no way ff games anyway because there is a LOT more to the ff recipe than "chocobos and cid"; in fact, those are only skin-deep observations about a surprisingly cohesive franchise. if i could i would get a degree in final fantasy analysis.

also there's quite a few smt-inspired games on here.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1647/

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2727/

should last you a while!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Craze
also there's quite a few smt-inspired games on here.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1647/

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2727/

should last you a while!

Ooh! Another one with LouisCyphre, with Nessy as a developer! No way I'm passing that up. And as for the other one, you can never go wrong with an eplipswich game.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Because this forum is full of FF casuals
I think a structural reason is partly because SMT games tend to be pretty hard, and purposefully designed that way in a delicate balance, and a lot of game makers aren't either aware or willing to tackle the 'intelligently designed ball-busting RPG' genre.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
lol they are not a delicate balance, they implode on themselves by the end because the developers forgot that the elemental play is what made the game fun, not REFLECT ALL and almighty damage. smt games start hard and then become piss-easy. except maybe nocturne? i haven't played that one. devil survivor 2 is also pretty rock-solid and wonderful. i would never put forth an smt game as well-designed balance-wise -- the strength of SMT is in incredibe atmosphere and art style.
Pages: 1