RPG MAKER MV IS A LARGE STEP BACKWARDS

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Sated
I know what you meant. I only mentioned auto-shadow because my first impression was that the engine had put some weird auto-shadow-esque tone over the top of it a tonne of times, resulting in it losing all texture.

I like how one of the first plugins I saw in the pre-order pack was a "kill autoshadows" feature. God damn this program seriously made autoshadows and autotiles WORSE than VX!?
mv is a step forward that should have happened 3 steps ago
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
If there's anyway in which this program is a step backwards, it's not the way plugins are. One could argue that using javascript rather than Ruby is a step back but frankly most people I know who are good at coding know Javascript, but act like I'm giving them an alien baby when I hand them Ruby.

There's still a lot that could be done, though. Where I will defend MV is that it was rushed out long before it was properly tested, the December First release date was made originally for a reason. That said, I'd much rather it now than having to wait another month or two.
A lot of my more progamming-centric friends have long since moved past javascript but learning it looks fairly easy compared to other languages, so it's pretty exciting that the use of javascript is perfect for entry-level coders like myself. I know zero progamming languages, and only really fumbled around in Ruby just enough to hold things together with glue and dreams.

I really hope they'll add more in-app control when it comes to plugin management. It would be nice to have even a simple script editor like Ace, and not have to go into something like Notepad++ to fumble around with things. Ace prided itself on being an all-in-one program, but MV is missing a script editor, auto-compression when exporting, and refers you to outside programs when doing the iOS/android export. No doubt they'll patch these features in later, but it's kind of weird that the documentation basically says "Yeah, go see these other guys" as often as it does when RPG Maker has always been about convenience.

Anyways, it's still launch window period, and I'm staying positive that MV will continue to get better.

EDIT: And I'll be frank, I also miss the resource manager.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Is the joke that PC gamers are psychopaths?
The joke for that comic is that Batman for PC... well, they didn't finish the port properly and a lot of people were left hanging, especially after they added a patch that was bullshit. Let's just say PC fans were not impressed at all. Especially those who pre-ordered.

I believe Farkas was trying to say something about how there were bugs in MV. As has already been explained, most bugs were found but new ones will pop up after a release and the ones that had been found would have pushed back the release date to fix but that wasn't going to happen because the Japanese are a stickler for such things.

Frankly, new engine with whole new programming of said engine means there are going to be bugs. While it looks similar to Ace and the previous makers, it's running very differently. There's bound to be a few issues.
So it happened to Batman as well. I originally found this image linked in a Might and Magic Heroes 7 official board. People were very displeased with it since there were (and still are) fatal issues including the game not starting for the majority of users, online disconnecting and random crashes.
author=andreasaspenberg
2003 also supports plugins but, those are written in c which is a more powerful language than javascript.

This is probably a losing battle, but...

99% of all developers want to embed scripting languages just so that they don't have to write low-level language like C.
I, for one, am happy to see Javascript being used over Ruby, simply because Javascript is a lot more applicable in the real world. If I'm going to bother learning a language I don't already know, it's nice that I won't only be using it for RPGMaker.
This is a dumb question, because I am dumb: Is there any reason that both Ruby and Javascript plugins couldn't be supported by an RPGMaker? I mean, I understand they are totally different languages, but they are plugins, and by definition plugged in to the existing engine rather than being integrated directly. From the sounds of it, the engine is just running a script already made entirely outside the engine, and obviously VX and MV share enough components to be based on the same source so... why doesn't it just accept both?

I feel like there is an obvious reason I am missing because, again, I am dumb.
@Kaempfer - It's because the Ace engine itself is written in Ruby, and the MV engine is in Javascript. You're not so much running an external script as you are extending the code of the core RPG Maker engine. Hopefully that makes sense!

Personally, I'm glad for the switch to Javascript. That's actually what caused me to buy MV. Though it's a horrible trap, cause I'll be tempted to abandon my Ace project to the dark abyss for something shiny and new.
author=Ramshackin
@Kaempfer - It's because the Ace engine itself is written in Ruby, and the MV engine is in Javascript. You're not so much running an external script as you are extending the code of the core RPG Maker engine. Hopefully that makes sense!

Personally, I'm glad for the switch to Javascript. That's actually what caused me to buy MV. Though it's a horrible trap, cause I'll be tempted to abandon my Ace project to the dark abyss for something shiny and new.

At least there are plugins/scripts for porting the physical stuff over to MV. You'll have to get scripts and resize all your assets, but for the most part... well, there's that!
author=Ramshackin

Just a slight correction, Ace was written in C and then Ruby was also written inside C in VXACe's case.
Wait, MV was made in Javascript? Isn't that... bad?

@kaempfer> Aside from what everyone else said, it's also impractical to have support for more than one scripting language imo. It would get confusing, and the engine will have to have two (or more) 'translators' to skim every single script. It's like talking to a child that speaks Cantonese, Maori, and Danish. You'll only cause headaches and confusion to both yourself and the child if you converse in all three of those languages.

I might be talking out of my butt here though, so take it with a grain of salt..
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=karins_soulkeeper
Wait, MV was made in Javascript? Isn't that... bad?
Could be worse. A lot of people have a problem with Javascript but it's one of the most commonly taught and known languages, and I'll say the same I do about what application you use to make games, it's not the tools but the one who wields them, half the reason Javascript has such an uneasy reputation is because it's the goto for beginning programmers and is also often taught at academic facilities. One thing all programmers have in common is laziness, so it comes as not much of a surprise that some really poor games were made because of a lack of coding fidelity, that's not really the language at fault, is it?

Back in my day when I was first looking at getting into coding we had basic, C and Ethenual or something so it was... yeah, a lot easier to choose back then. My Father personally rolled with Basic, I went with C, I didn't learn much during that time but now I'm learning C sharp which is pretty similar, just a lot more accessible.

they really should add a script editor so that scripts can at least be created and tested in the rpg maker without the user having to compile it in person. some people have only learned ruby and it is mean to them to remove it.
There's nothing to worry,RPG Maker MV is using programmable plugins instead~!
If you've learned Ruby it doesn't take much more to figure out javascript. It's quite similar.