THOUGHTS ON RPG MAKER MV?

Pages: first 1234 next last
So RPG Maker MV has been out for almost a week now, a lot of people have been hyped about it and I also see a lot of people checking out this new hype regarding the engine, and I also see a lot of disappointment and discussion on some threads (''RPG Maker MV is a huge step backwards'').

With all the hype, there will be questions, disappointment and also people being, really, really happy about some things.

So here is my question for everyone showing a bit of interest in the new engine; What are your thoughts on the new RPG Maker?

As someone coming from RPG Maker XP, I enjoy the new overlapping feature while mapping (some of you may have seen me post some forest-y stuff in the Screenshot Survival), but I'm also slightly disappointed that the RMN tilesets are still the same as RPG Maker VX and VX Ace.

So those are my thoughts and opinions about MV, what about yours?
I haven't had time to really get into it but so far its in my 'ambling long' category. I haven't seen any significant step backs seen in other makers but there aren't any exciting new features in the editor itself for me. It feels... like a port of Ace to javascript and being able to export to more platforms so far. I'm hoping having more of the engine exposed gives more opportunity to do interesting things in the backend but I haven't looked at that at all yet.

The amount of content in the RTP is nice though.
unity
You're magical to me.
I haven't really got into the maker aside from making a map and fooling around with the character generator, as I'm busy with Ace products, but people are talking like the plugins for MV are really nice. Do they do stuff you can't do in Ace?
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I have yet to have a real opinion of it since I can't activate it on my main computer due to lack of a connection, which I'm waiting to be fixed.

After that's over, I can give a more personal opinion, but so far I've been hearing some pretty mixed reactions from this whole thing. The buttloads of RTP content you get from it seems really nice, but it also leaves you with a bare bones database, unlike any other RPG Maker released. This is good if you want to easily start your own default-free game, but it doesn't leave you a lot of room to look for examples on how to do things, as so I've heard.

Then you have the many bugs and crashes that people are reporting. It ultimately shows that the engine is pretty unfinished at the moment.
Given how school is kicking my ass lately, I've only had some small time before bed to mess around with MV, so I haven't done much.

But so far, I like it. The RTP is alright, the character creator is pretty neat (especially when you fix up some stuff by adding features to both males and females, and get more gradients to play with) and has a LOT of nifty possibilities, and some of the scripts are pretty neat.

I can't wait for this massive workdump to end so I can REALLY start working on stuff and get a fully developed opinion.

So far, my biggest complaint is how small everything feels (like the faces in the dialogue editor), but it's not that huge a deal.

author=unity
Do they do stuff you can't do in Ace?

I am flipping the hell out over the mouse support, and the script that expands on it.

There is so much stuff you can do with it that it's become an instant favourite. The game I'll be working on first is going to be making VERY heavy use of it, let me tell you.

The working line-of-sight one is awesome too, and everything I've seen about the Action Sequence thing makes it seem incredible (I haven't had a chance to use it yet).
The RTP does have a few issues and there's problems with the engine but overall it's pretty good and will get better as patches come out to fix the issues they didn't have time to.
Blame the Japanese idea that things have to be released on time. :/
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
except we got it two months early, for some reason.

i'm leaving it in the oven to cook for now. ace is good enough
I keep eyeing it up on Steam, to be honest. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread to help me determine if I should get it or not
otoh you can always go too far the other way and get SE's game that missed an entire console generation (and not only that but the longest generation to date!)
author=GreatRedSpirit
otoh you can always go too far the other way and get SE's game that missed an entire console generation (and not only that but the longest generation to date!)

*glares at Square Enix* One of the reasons I bought a PS3 was the promise of getting kingdom hearts 3. I am still bitter about that.

Although slightly less, these days. There have been so many spin offs and weird plot additions that the whole series is now barely comprehensible. I'm not even sure I want to care anymore.
I've posted my thoughts in a few threads but here's a quick summary:

+ Gorgeous RTP resources
+ Plugins are flexible
+ Javascript means more potential plugin support
+ Sideview battles

- All the bugs mentioned above
- Massive file sizes
- Missing and removed features. No in-app script editor, no auto-compression, etc. Awkwardly encourages users to go download other programs instead. It feels very uncomfortable to do this when Ace did many of these things for you.
- Little to no advantage over Ace if you're using RPG Maker casually. Power users will get more of an upgrade from the transition.
From the little I did so far with the trial version, it's quite good so far. The character generator, the plugin system, the addition of modern and futuristic tilesets to the RTP, and many other little details that make me want this engine as of now. Still, I noticed some things that look off to me:

-Maybe I didn't looked enough yet, but there doesn't seem to be any downed sprites for any of the RTP characters.
-In the sideview configuration, there are weapon images for all of the RTP weapon icons except for the last four.
-There are battlers for many of the RTP Actors, but there are many that aren't there.
-There are three "Theme" BGMs, Theme 1, Theme 2 and Theme 6? Where are the others?

Are this files missing on propose or is just something of the trial version?
author=Ilan14
Are this files missing on propose or is just something of the trial version?

Those are in a folder called "base resources" in the DLC folders for the game. They didn't include them all, in order to save on filesize when starting a new project, supposedly.
Oh I see, but you have to download them as DLC, or they are just apart in that folder?
There are some missing battlers for certain characters. I'm not sure why that is, though. One of the things I was annoyed with, I'll admit. And no, they aren't in the base resources folder.

Also, the trial version doesn't gain you access to the Base Resource folder because it is a trial version.
Oh, I understand. I was worried that it was because of something else entirely... XD

Thanks, Liberty! :)

P.S. : By the way, I REALLY like that the generator also allows you to generate downed sprites. ^_^
By the way, does anybody knows for what the "Hidden Item A" and "Hidden Item B" item types are for and how are used?
Pages: first 1234 next last