THOUGHTS ON RPG MAKER MV?

Pages: first prev 1234 last
iirc somebody on RMW found a way so plugins can get their own parameters without needing a specific filename. Unfortunately it's something the script itself has to do so I'd expect it'll have the same adoption rate as the alias fix in RGSS that could otherwise cause issues when the player uses F12 to soft reset a game.

(that reminds me I should look into it so I can use it in my poor lone public MV plugin)
Have games made in MV actually been tested on mobile devices yet?
If so, what are the results?
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
author=Avee
Have games made in MV actually been tested on mobile devices yet?
If so, what are the results?

Calling it "mobile" deployment is a little disingenuous, since all it does is generate a web page with the game embedded. I did a few tests on my Android phone and it works fine, in so much as it's the game running from a web browser. I haven't tested a proper "store" or app deployment, if such a thing is even possible.
I've read that porting your game to other platforms than Windows will require a heavy use and skill of different programs. From the marketing I saw, I thought it would be just something you did while compressing the game.
I do like RPG Maker MV, and I did buy it, but for right now I am sticking with RPG Maker VX Ace until more resource packs, and plug ins come out for MV. The big thing that bugs about MV is they got rid of the resource manager making it so you have to copy, and paste everything manually I do not like that especially if I need a file at the last minute.
I played the demo, it felt more like a VX ACE 2.0 to be honest, the character generator was a nice improvement, generating side view battlers as well. Cool junk man... But that's about it, other than the plug ins which are really nice, there's not much of an improvement.
Still have the same horrid tileset construction ever. And I thought they could do no worse than VX and Ace....
RPG Maker XP still the best interface for building maps, sorry to say this.
MV still the best for processing and scripting. I only wish it had the same tileset structure of XP.
author=Ronivan
MV still the best for processing and scripting.

See, yeah, this is how I've been feeling about it recently. I've noticed that many of the people getting the most out of MV are scripters and programmers. There's lots for programmers to dabble with here. But for casual users and those without programming skills, there's little here that Ace can't already do reasonably well (and sometimes better).
...you know the language isn't that hard to learn, right? There's free courses of it all over the internet and if you've learned a little ruby it's not that much different. I'm no-where near a scripter of any kind but I managed to edit a plug-in yesterday by just fiddling with bits and bobs. It's not hard to figure out.

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Okay, see, I'm disagreeing here about MV's scripting. Maybe I'm confused and this is another glitch in the free trial, but as I recall, there is no script editor in MV. If I've got a problem with a script in VX Ace that doesn't have to do with the script settings, it's a hell of a lot easier to try and make adjustments in VXA than it is in MV. Having to actually leave the program to repair a faulty script really seems like more of a pain in the ass than it has to be. Again, I've only used the Free Trial, so maybe it's different in the full version.
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
author=pianotm
Having to actually leave the program to repair a faulty script really seems like more of a pain in the ass than it has to be. Again, I've only used the Free Trial, so maybe it's different in the full version.

It's not different, and this is a definite sticking point for me, too! At the very least, it'd be nice have a button that points to an executable for a coding environment of choice (plus command line arguments) in the window that lists the plugins.

Never underestimate the laziness of your customers!
MV doesn't have a script editor at all. Users will use a third party program to edit and create scripts. It's a regression from Ace that had a crappy build in script editor but could load external scripts.

Personally I liked Ace so for quick hacks or minor experimentation (usually bug or integration fixing for others) it's nice to have less overhead to get working. Using external programs for more serious work is nice because I don't have to close the script to test it and I can use any editor of my choice (along with code analysis tools).
I'll agree that there are missing parts that could have been added without causing too many issues (an internal editor for scripts and a resource manager (seriously, wtf? why get rid of something that makes your life fucking easier?!)) but I was talking about the scripting itself - it's easy to open up notepad++ and just mess about with the script itself as long as you have a small iota of knowledge when it comes to scripts.

ALSO - I like plug-ins better than scripts (as long as the authors have taken the time to add proper documentation and details for it). I like that they pull out the relevant stuff for you to edit/customise and it's just basically a case of 'edit this field' and check the help button for more details. It makes it a lot easier to just slam something in, quickly customise and then go. I'm surprised people don't like that idea, especially those who don't know what they're doing when it comes to scripts.
author=Bakutex
I played the demo, it felt more like a VX ACE 2.0 to be honest, the character generator was a nice improvement, generating side view battlers as well. Cool junk man... But that's about it, other than the plug ins which are really nice, there's not much of an improvement.

isn't v2.0 like a full version upgrade? so basically you said that "MV is like the next version of Ace. WTF?"
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
liberty, it's good and it's bad. it's easier for low-level users, yeah, but it's actually a pretty damn clunky system. when people say like "attach these numbers to each command you want in this menu and then list them with a semicolor and space between each number" it's just lkasnlksanfklsdn give me an array

and then i'd want to edit every script i put in anyway so there's no point in me wanting that slow interface in the first place. god it's so slow to plug in every damn thing

if i could i'd uninstall the program and get my $70 back, but alas. maybe it'll get better. (it won't)
Clearly the solution is to make plugins take *.json files as parameters files!
Should I switch to MV? I just started using VX Ace again (after a hiatus that lasted since June) but I just found out MV was released.

I haven't made that much progress in my game, but it uses a lot of scripts. I assume that if I switch to MV I will have to give up all the scripts. So it's not worth it. I totally shouldn't switch.

Mind you, the only reason I wanted to switch to MV in the first place is that MV exports to platforms other than PC. But is it really worth switching for this reason? Does this feature even work that well? And when I think about, everyone has a PC anyway, so what difference does it really make.. I guess I'm just a self-hating PC user and liked the idea of MV in principle.

EDIT: Not only I use a lot of scripts but I've fiddled with some of them. By the sound of it this is a lot harder to do in MV.
EDIT: So if I make a game in MV, the filesize will be huge? That's not good..
EDIT: The system requirements for MV are higher. My PC probably can't run it. Nevermind then.
I suggest sticking with Ace (at least for now). MV is pretty messy and slow at the moment (filled with bugs). From what I've heard, converting your MV game to other platforms is a very daunting task that will require skill and mastery of multiple programs outside of MV. You'll probably need to know a fair bit of coding as well.
author=luiishu535
I suggest sticking with Ace (at least for now). MV is pretty messy and slow at the moment (filled with bugs).

The 'bugs' are usually people's PC specs not meeting the requirements or really not updating drivers. I know there are a few non-issue bugs in a game and that dumb tilemap implementation but if it's the MV editor or playtest speed, they work as intended as long as the PC supports OpenGL.

The real issue is the JP way of tying FPS to gameplay so having a 4k monitor will be an issue unless it has a display port.
Pages: first prev 1234 last