WHAT DO YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU HEAR "RPG MAKER"?

Pages: first 12 next last
What is the most "RPG Maker" to you? What do you think of when you think "RPG Maker"? What is iconic within our fanbase?

You can name anything and as much as you want:
Characters, a map tool, a database statistic, a certain weapon or skill, an icon, a graphic, passabilities, priorities, anything--
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
Oh crap I got a game to work on.

Jokes aside, mainly the mapping is what I think first.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
In terms of Steam Greenlight, my thoughts are "someone just used straight RTP stapled with a lackluster story for a quick $10+" though, normally, there's screenies attached to look at to verify my thoughts

Otherwise, I think of its (now) square, SNES-like graphical style and some of the better things to come of it
"Default Assets" is the first thing I think of, largely because of the over-abundance of the new RTPs and the fact that my first RM was RPG Maker 3, which you can't make custom stuff for.

Then I usually remember all the good RM games I've played, like Story of Innocence and
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
pizza: there's exit fate and last scenario too!!

i think of the vx ace rtp and my own lack of ... what's the term kentona? dedication?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
A graveyard the size of Arlington National Cemetery; wall-to-wall graves of games that never met their full potential.

Mine won't become just another statistic, however.
I always imagine generic plots and the RPG Maker 2000 in particular (first maker I ever used).
A good RPG Maker game would not betray that it was made in RPG Maker.

I think of people with a weird amount of entitlement creating a game based totally on the RTP with a plot involving crystals, evil wizards, and magic swords. That, and people obsessing over how to be the most creative while totally thinking inside the box.

Like, how can we make a really new and interesting combat system...by copying a fistful of Yanfly's scripts without understanding any of it, and not adding anything to it?
Don Miguel's Adventure, RTP dungeon midis a la 2003, floating islands, Misaos, three-tile-mapping, a disproportioned ratio of vaporware to finished products, Gaming Ground Zero, the rise of rudra chapsets, beloved Raptors, coheed and cambria, the grossly undeserved success of aveyond, our lovable 4chan-esque community of zany but well-meaning developers, the inevitable decay of rpgmaker forums into cesspools.. (lol)

(..actually, when I reread that stream of consciousness I just feel nostalgic and old)
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
RMN
Guys around here are like a living RTP.
author=FlyingJester

Beg to differ. After playing literally thousands of RM games and tons of non-RM games, I can pick 'em out of a crowd no matter how disguised they are. Case point - recently people were wondering about a certain game I was about to LP. As soon as the game loaded I knew it was an RM game. Like, before the title screen even showed. Just the fucking window popping up and I knew. It didn't use any default assets at all, but I fucking knew. Like BOOM, RM game motherfuckers! Called it!

RPG Maker to me is basically fun that turns into a grind that turns into fun that turns into way too many ideas. orz
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I tend to default to "mediocrity" even though I feel like a total hypocrite for calling it such.

author=FlyingJester
Like, how can we make a really new and interesting combat system...by copying a fistful of Yanfly's scripts without understanding any of it, and not adding anything to it?

This also concerns me, but I feel like laziness is the defining aspect of the community as a whole. That's a result of RPG Maker, unlike 90% of other game-making engines, requiring very little specialized knowledge (ESPECIALLY in regards to game programming) to produce games with.

That and I'm pretty sure scripters like Yanfly have kind of a monopoly on scripts for the public.
And yet with some ingenuity stuff can be new. I was surprised by what Grist of Flies did with the battles and the design idea isn't overly complicated at all, but it's fresh and funky.

Besides, there's a reason those are default battle systems - because they're flexible, easy to edit and it works well in jRPGs.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Blindmind
Don Miguel's Adventure, RTP dungeon midis a la 2003, floating islands, Misaos, three-tile-mapping, a disproportioned ratio of vaporware to finished products, Gaming Ground Zero, the rise of rudra chapsets, beloved Raptors, coheed and cambria, the grossly undeserved success of aveyond, our lovable 4chan-esque community of zany but well-meaning developers, the inevitable decay of rpgmaker forums into cesspools.. (lol)

(..actually, when I reread that stream of consciousness I just feel nostalgic and old)

oh god the coheed and cambria craze on gw (er not ME craze)

i think bm and i are the same person just perpetually stuck on different parts of the "what i like about rm*" cycle that all oldies subscribe to

edit: i've released multiple finished projects, nvm

FlyingJester

I think of people with a weird amount of entitlement creating a game based totally on the RTP with a plot involving crystals, evil wizards, and magic swords. That, and people obsessing over how to be the most creative while totally thinking inside the box.

i mostly agree with liberty's reaction, however i'd like to add fuck you to the "copying a fistful of yf scripts" bit

edit: also i feel like people really hate on all the stuff that rm* was intended to make. i mean it makes sense since we expect BETTER, but making fun of the generic stuff on this/other websites is missing the point. the engine was MADE for those people... we just happen to bend it to our will.
In regards to Steam... Terra Incognita -shudders- In every other aspect "Hey, at least I'm not the only person who uses it."
author=Craze
also i feel like people really hate on all the stuff that rm* was intended to make. i mean it makes sense since we expect BETTER, but making fun of the generic stuff on this/other websites is missing the point. the engine was MADE for those people... we just happen to bend it to our will.

I feel a little disappointed by this because I feel like a lot of people could do so much more if they just set their sights a little higher.

Some stuff is crazy. There are people who know how to patch compiled binaries to make plugins for RPG Maker. If you have that kind of skill, what are you doing dinking around with RPG Maker? You could do incredible things if only you'd take the next step.

I am disappointed because I see a lot of people who get stuck on the first step of a journey, convinced they have already found the end of the road. But I suppose to some people, that is enough. It depends what you consider your goal, and I realize I differ from most people in this aspect.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
'can make rpgs'...

I'm not a very quizzical thinker. Sorreh. :0
The first thing that came to my mind is:
An opportunity to make a game and have my creative voice be heard.

Although I really wish I had more friends that could have play tested my game before I released it because I've had to and continue to make so many revisions post release. I have literally broken down and cried from some reactions people have to my work. I only keep at it because I believe that if my games get better when I update them that maybe people will see that I actually made something worth while.

I do get positive feedback to but for some reason I focus on the negative. I'm not a very happy person probably because I feel the need to achieve some sort of undefinable artist goal that just seems to keep alluding me.

I don't know a friend of mine said I should be proud of what I created and I guess he's right but I won't be satisfied until I've done something more whether that be in RPG Maker or in doing some other art like my paintings. I have to keep struggling to have my creative voice be heard.
Pages: first 12 next last