WINDOWS 7

Pages: first prev 12 last
Well, in the sense of thin clients, that would require a gigantic shift in the market and how things were deployed -- which I just don't see happening. Right now, Intel, etc, make a lot of money by having multiple computers. Midori would be killing that and fighting it pretty fast.

In any case, it'd just be a smart idea to have different configurations -- perhaps a personal, home server, and business server edition. This is what I've tried to stress to some of the Microsoft "engineers." I'm not alone in this.

There's a certain amount of happiness you can have with redundancy. Imagine you have a four-person family, two parents, two kids. In the Midori model, if the machine had hardware failure and one of the kids had a school report due the next day -- tough crap. He can't go to his sister's computer or borrow his mom's. What about mobile office users? Or people who want to take their laptops with them out? If Midori doesn't make a distinction, then they'll be in trouble.

I don't completely hate the idea of the thin-client -- it'd make a family work together in ways. Something goes funny and they all know about it and work together. It'd be like everyone being in a living room, doing their own things, rather than on their own in their rooms. Indeed, by the time I have children, I wouldn't mind being able to have a little family network setup -- but I would *still* want my own machine that I could put on/off the network as I wanted -- but this may be a replacement for the "desktop" model that's been going on.

A big issue that I didn't raise earlier -- security. Anyone can find a hole in just about anything -- it happens. The only way to make it work in some sense would be to encrypt/protect everything, but that would cost some processing power and make data recovery more painful.

Truly, I don't mind the thin client idea too much -- but I don't want it to be the only option -- I still want my own independent machine that can go anywhere.
Terin already covered most of this, so I'll hide it (I'm a slow poster)

That is a horrible setup that sounds like burning money. You can get a computer that will do anything a casual user will want out of it and more for $500 (monitor included) from Dell and will run on their own without needing to communicate with a central computer. A distributed OS would mean each client needs constant reliable communications with the server which means you better have a damn good wireless router and receivers and hope you're router doesn't suffer from the occasional blackouts (or have hard lines but then what's the point of having notebooks?).

You are also fucked if you take your computer anywhere since it can't communicate with the central computer. Take your notebook to school or for a LAN party? Even if there was a reliable network and a computer to connect to you'd be competing with a whole lot of other people for processor time and having enough servers to handle that would cost a rediculous amount of money on the school's part for who knows what the students are using it for (likely not school work)

Now just think if the central server suffers a failure.

There may be a place for an OS like that, but its not at the home of any more-than-casual computer user that does more than surf the Internet (and even then it'd probably be cheaper for one computer for everyone)
Pages: first prev 12 last