THE GAME MAKING DRIVE. (SIGNUPS)

Pages: first 123 next last
What This Is: If you're reading this, you're probably, most likely are making a game. We all read articles on game design, discuss game design, post our screenshots, and so on. However, the big issue with all of us is how much time we are working on our games and how much we get done in a certain time. A lot of us don't get as much done in our games as we like, and we end up chipping away at our games, sure, we get stuff over time, but a lot of the time, it may not be substantial, and it doesn't add up to quite enough.

Of course this sentiment is proven quite nicely if you look around as Release Something closes in, a lot of people including myself are scrambling around trying to put our games together. Well, maybe we can do something about that. What if there was a way for us to band together to give inspiration and support for the sake of a common issue and work together towards it?

How It Works: What I need you guys to do think of a time every day where you get at least a half hour to work on your game. It can be more of course. I can be flexible. I'd like it to be around the same time every day. If this is utterly impossible, try to spring for something at least consistent, like every Tuesday and Thursday or something like that. A schedule, if you will. Hell, you can even have weekends not count.

Now, every day (or whenever you assign yourself) on that time, get something done on your game and post about what you accomplished. Now, it has to be somewhat substantial, it can't something like "9:00-9:30, I imported a backdrop". I'll use discretion for what's substantial and what's bullcrap. I'm going to make a signup sheet for this purpose, and I'll go first.

Got it? If not, feel free to ask me to clarify. Keep in mind, this is an ongoing thing, and of course, feel free to post if you want to change your daily time.

1. Feldschlacht IV 10:00 PM Weekdays
2. dragonheartman 12:00 PM Tuesday-Thursdays
3. kentona End of day-Workdays
4. YDS 7:00 AM
5. silver4donuts Uh
6. RoseSkye 9:00-9:30 AM
7. Little Wing Guy 8:00PM Mon-Wed-Fri
8. Rei- 7:00 PM Mon-Wed-Fri
9. Archeia_Nessiah 7:00-8:00 AM Sat
10. VideoWizard 10:00 11:00 AM Weekdays
11. Euphorian 11:00 PM Weeknights
12. dethmetal 6-7 PM on Wednesdays, 4-5 PM on Thursdays
13. Quiversee 6PM-7:30PM Anyday
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
I think I like this idea. Maybe it will keep things rolling.

I'll take Either Tuesday or Thursday at 12. (I have a class that meets either of those days, but we don't know until about a week before, so I will be working on my game one day, and going to class the other.)
Cool idea.

Sign me up for "Sporadically on workdays between server restarts". I'll post my progress end of day.

(Psstt.... Make this the thread, and start a new thread where we post our progress)
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Hmm. Interesting idea.

I'll do 7 AM.
7 AM? You don't fuck around.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I just wake up at 4--5 AM each day.
For me it's pretty much the primedays are:

When S4D Has Day Off / WEEKDAYS:
11 A.M. - 2 P.M.
A good solid amount of time on the game, peaceful because my brother is off to work and I can just sit and make Monopolo grooving to some tunes of all sorts.

10 P.M. - 12 A.M.
After everyone hits the lights, I will go to work! I find myself more productive at night because there are no distractions of TV or video games. Everything in my room is bare...so GET TO WORK!!!

When S4D Has To Go To Work / WEEKENDS:
1 P.M. - 3 P.M. (And 12 A.M. - 1 A.M.)
I never use the excuse that just because your going to work or coming home after a long day that you can't do something! So even if it's for a little while...I get crackin!!!

I think I have good solid playing time as my love for playing console games have dried up and I much rather work on my own projects, there is the odd time I will break from pattern...but this is pretty much the standard.

I find that schedule making is a good thing, but feel free to shuffle it up once and awhile! You can't always work at these times...so try and shift it up once and awhile or have a break day! It can do wonders for you. The main goal is to try and WORK on the project whenever you can. :)

Oh! And I get up at 7 A.M! Watch some sports before hitting the shower, reading the paper...and getting ready for the work day. ^^
.. even though I work more than a half an hour I'll boost my input for an half an hour everyday. Anything to push myself.

9-9:30 A.M. for me.
Eh, I'll try 8:00PM every other weekday. So Like, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I'll see how it goes. Cool idea!
Happy
Devil's in the details
Cool idea, I think I'll sign up for every second weekday like Winguy, for starters. The time will be 7:00 pm of my local time!
Hmm I love this idea. I'll sign up for 3:30 pm in my time
(Next Week 7pm)

Weekends:
Sat: 7-8am (I can't go online at that time so I'll most likely report it around 8-10)
Sun: 1-2 pm
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
YDS and I both wake up at 4:00! Hooray!

Also, early mornings are great times to get work done. A few days ago I woke up and said "I want to code a way of changing damage taken/dealt based on the party index" and did so in about fifteen minutes, then went to school.

This is really neat idea for something to do but I'm really bad about updating blogs/whatever, and my available times change greatly.

Maybe I'll join in when RMN3 rolls around and we all run for the hills (heh heh heh).
Happy
Devil's in the details
Oh btw where should we start posting the work, and when?
author=Craze link=topic=1977.msg32523#msg32523 date=1221733399
YDS and I both wake up at 4:00! Hooray!

Also, early mornings are great times to get work done. A few days ago I woke up and said "I want to code a way of changing damage taken/dealt based on the party index" and did so in about fifteen minutes, then went to school.

This is really neat idea for something to do but I'm really bad about updating blogs/whatever, and my available times change greatly.

Maybe I'll join in when RMN3 rolls around and we all run for the hills (heh heh heh).

I wake up at 3 am but it's hard hiding my comp specially when parents randomly snoop inside my room T_T;
Happy
Devil's in the details
author=Archeia_Nessiah link=topic=1977.msg32528#msg32528 date=1221736838
I wake up at 3 am but it's hard hiding my comp specially when parents randomly snoop inside my room T_T;
What's bad at being up that early? :P At least you're not staying up late on comp, eh.
I think you have to take into account the fact that if someone is doing thier own art for thier game, that it might well take a full half hour to draw that bacdrop and then import it.
Hey, what is this? Isn't this basically a blog topic on what you're working on? Or is it more of a scheduled time to work on your game.

Or a combination of both?
Cool stuff though.
This is different from a blog topic or 'What are you working on' topic, in the reasoning that this targets ONE TIME where participants have to work on something significant and tell us what it is. With a number of people doing this, support and further participation increases.
So where to we post our progress?
Pages: first 123 next last