LET'S DISCUSS FALLOUT 4 - SPOILERS (OBVIOUSLY)

So yeah, why don't we?

Spoilers for up to learning of Diamond City.

So far I'm enjoying it a lot. I made myself a house. Then those assholes moved in to MY house. One of them even stole the wedding ring I put in my safe!!! What a bitch! >:O

But hey, I'm about to head to Diamond City and have yet to run into a bug. Killed a Mirelurk (dem things look crazy guys - there's one in the sewers under Conchord if you want to check it out) and got me doggy~<3

I actually streamed the first 2 hours or so of the game (my internet fucked it badly - damn thing's a mess, so I'm just gonna LP the rest normally) and everyone watching was having fun watching me steal carpets from ruined homes and wrestle with adding walls to a hut, despite the extreme pixellation every time I moved (damn Aussie upload rates >.<; ).

And the perk system? Not sure if I like it better than 3s but I like it as much as 3s and hell, it's fun to scroll through and check out future perks and see what you get for upgrading perks.

Oh, and the power armour is fucking boss! The minigun fight with the deathclaw was crazy! I used my first stimpack in that battle (only one!) and I feel like I did really well, despite getting cornered a few times. Probably didn't help at all that I had filled up with junk items and could not run at all, even using the armour. Ooops! XD

Anyway, discuss stuff here.
Related to Fallout 4, I know what I want for Christmas this year:

Spoilers for just after Fort H

I'm liking pretty much every new addition and all the changes thus far. The new gun mechanics are spot on, the armor/weapon customization is wonderful and adds a lot of value to pretty much every knick-knack in the wasteland, and the new Power Armor mechanics make the suit feel more like you think Power Armor actually would- not something you can just wear all the time and keep running around in forever, something with actual weight and purpose to it.

The new perk tree is all around excellent- forcing you into choosing a more specialized character right from the get go and then giving you all the information and free choice you could want to build it from there- treating the SPECIAL stats as perks in of themselves and relegating the magazines to their own specific perk trees were both great ideas.

The level design is also way more solid this time around- the cities aren't all boxed off corridors, there's no complicated, maze like metro system, and the office buildings/factories don't feel like beehives of endless corridors and nameless rooms anymore. There's a lot more verticality and purposeful design to the exteriors, and a lot more direction and mechanical interest to the interiors. When combined with the new gunplay it really feels great- never did I think I'd be playing a Bethesda game and actually trying to use the environment to my advantage in combat.

The Deathclaw fight in Condchord was where the quality of the game hit home for me, when just as the Deathclaw spawned Ride of the Valkyries began playing on the Pip-Boy. That's one hell of an emergent experience.

I'd like to say that while the people criticizing the graphics have a point- they aren't as high poly/rez as they probably could be (like that really matters, but that's a whole other discussion), the game's pallette, lighting effects, atmospheric effects like rain and fog/haze really make it just fucking beautifully immersive. It's one of the best looking games I've played in a LONG time, despite it's graphical "flaws".
I've legit heard people saying it's less lively than Fallout 3 - more washed out and sepia toned. I'm like 'BITCH ARE WE EVEN PLAYING THE SAME GAME?!' They must be colour-blind or playing on a potato because wtf? It's a hell of a lot more lively in colour than Fallout 3 was (and this is from someone who defends the colour scheme of 3 - it had plot purpose). I mean, flowers anyone? And plants and trees and... there's life all over the fucking place, though it's dying slowly, it's still there. And sure, you won't find many shades of green but hello? Nuclear holocaust anyone? FFS... >.<;
Yeah, never understood people wanting hues all over. It's a fucking wasteland, people. Decay is the name of the game - which is why I've argued before about Fallout 3's dusty appearance - it's a decaying land with no water, hence the big hullaballoo about a water machine. Of course trees and plants ain't gonna be growing all over the place - there's no viable water for them to use. A decaying land, full of decaying people. Makes sense to me for it not to be full of colour.

I've taken to leaving my power armour at home (Sanctuary for now) and just roaming the country-side with my Devastator <3 (an amped up pistol), sniper rifle (aw yeah) and dog. It's been fun doing so.

I also initially did what you did, Sated, and made that main house an army barracks type house, but I've stuck a preset house on the slab next door and decorated it with carpets and paintings and misc stuff I've picked up around the place (I have a comfy pillow on my bare-ass bed, and I found some cutlery along the way so that's laid out on the table. Just need a spoon and plate to complete one set. Also have a desk with a phone and newspaper...) It's been a lot of fun, just filling in little details.

Found a few small sidequests - one to retrieve a locket, one to find some shipments that got lost. I could do with more, I feel, but then again, I've only met about 10 people all up, so I figure the more I meet the more I'll get. Looking forward to it~

Also, there's already mods out for it. First one? Graphic mod. It makes it a bit more... sharper? Something. There's a slight difference, but eh, it's alright. All shaders and bullshit.
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for using spoiler tags for people who haven't played yet, but want to contribute. Appreciate that!

Like I mentioned before, I haven't played/picked it up yet, but I will once a few patches are released, so I'm not worried about it. I have full faith in the gameplay additions, but one thing I have been thinking about is the quality of writing. The writing, worldbuilding, and direction of Fallout 3 felt sort of silly compared to Fallout's usual delivery, and this really showed when Obsidian got the reins back with Fallout: New Vegas, which I think (and general consensus seems to be) was a far superior game in terms of writing, nuance, and setting. Keep in mind that Fallout 3 and New Vegas, while very similar in terms of mechanics, had almost completely different writers!

While I enjoyed Fallout 3, in terms of writing and direction it seemed to be an exaggerated middle schooler's take on life 200 years after a nuclear apocalypse; Ruins! Radioactivity! Crazy people! Caracatures of post-apocalyptic tropes! But when Fallout's original writers got their hands back on New Vegas, I thought it was far better, with the intricate machinations and philosophies of the New California Republic and the Legion, the many, many factions in between (compared to Fallout 3's tiny number of people), the intrigue with Ulysses, and how civilization, and not just 10 people fighting over scraps, is actually dealing with a post-post apocalypse.

New Vegas was just a stellar entry worldbuilding and writing wise, but with Fallout 4 back in the hands of Bethesda, I'm worried about the story/writing. Does Fallout 4 improve on the writing where many fans think Fallout 3 lacked?
Apparently it gets better as it goes, but I thought the opening was quite well done - though some have said it's worse than the opening for 3. Frankly, I liked it. It helps set the scene for your character's motives and while you can just ignore the story and got hog wild in the world (as you do~), you actually have a really good motive to want to visit certain places.

That said, it is a little ...dry... at the start but that might be because I've only met about 10 people all up (after about 7 hours of play... there's just so damn much to do instead of talk to people). Just to give you an idea - no spoilers - there's a small farm with 3/4 people, then a small settlement with 2 (and a trader with a couple of guards), and 5 people who you meet in the first town. That's... basically all I've met so far, bar raiders. So until I get to a larger town or city, I won't know just how good the characterisation is. That said - each character I've met so far, bar the two settlers and trader guards, feels quite different - not only the way they act and animate, but also their stories. I like that.

Now for spoilers~
Found a named ghoul in a basement of a house that had ghouls living in it. I think his name was Wayne Gacy GORSKI (memory of a goldfish, I swear) and he had a note saying he wanted to destroy shit or something. Also had a nuke disassembled on a table - I looted that shit, of course.

Found a huge quarry filled with water. There were some notes on a computer about how they heard something in the quarry. I noped the fuck out - dark passageways and underwater areas + unidentified critters is not my cuppa tea. Maybe when I have my power suit with me. I would gladly use the damn thing for tunnel extermination.
Personally I think the writing is a little better, but take that with a grain of salt I guess since I enjoyed the story/characters/world in 3 a LOT. One thing to note is that- at least to me- there are a lot more "New Vegas Characters" in a way. There are a LOT more people with interesting backstories and cool designs, and the locations are way more appealing, so the world feels more solid and alive.

Companion Thoughts and Spoilers:

I have to say, with the exception of the dog being somewhat shoehorned into the game thus far, I'm really enjoying the companions this time around. For the longest time I was travelling with Nick Valentine, the Synth detective, who was really entertaining and useful, but now I've finally managed to find Curie, the Mrs. Handy that you can romance (who I recruited for reasons obvious to anyone who knows me).

I enjoy that the companions are interesting, truly unique characters this time around and not generic archetypes like in 3. They're actually somewhat involved in the main story and have a stake in what's going on, which is nice. I like the way they've written them into scenes and given them more ambient dialogue too- such as having them react with actual dialogue when they're pleased/displeased with your choices in a conversation (or sometimes just chiming in out of the blue) and having them search things in the area or offer more specific reactions to what's around them.

Another thing I enjoy is the command system. It's pretty intuitive thus far, and makes the game feel a little more co-operative and alive. Plus, it's handy not having to bother with hacking, since I've been choosing science type companions thus far.
I do hear the writing in 4 is very solid, so I'm excited for that.
idk it kinda sucks.

I didn't like that the game made your backstory for you (you were a ww2 soldier/ wife of a soldier?), you have a wife/husband, you have a son named shaun specifically). Even though in FO3 you did have a dad you had to find there was at least some kind of backstory you can develop through the vault. But in this game since you're cryo'd you're basically defined by the pre fallout. Also I don't get why they went with voice acting as it removes even more character insertion and it didn't seem to be worth it. Your character doesn't react half the time to things and when s/he does s/he's like I NEE DTO GET SHAUN BACK SHAUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN like what was the point. But whatever.

The thing that bugs me the most is the lack of any kind of interesting customization, perks/skills have been watered down to a simple skill tree, so it doesn't really feel like an RPG anymore. Also the wording of "you do 20% more damage" just makes everything feel the same. Also you're pretty much locked out of investing into anything until you get a certain level, get certain stat, or even get something else entirely. It feels limiting. I want to become a sniper type dude oh no you can't get more rifle points you have to get other points. Or seemingly it's starting to feel like I don't really have to go for a specific build since the game is so easy anyway, but I'd like to at least role play a little.

So this is basically a better looking FO3 where the characters don't look ugly and the animations are little less wonky. Keep in mind, I'm not a huge fan of Bethesda games, but I always play their games on release and hope maybe there's something changed or fixed, mayybeeee I'll get into it this time. But nope, the elements just become more watered down and simplified and I don't know why I even bothered.
So, I'm pretty sure I beat it. Pretty sure. I can't be certain since I think they forgot to write half of the game somewhere during development.

Ehhh. I feel ripped off now, like all the fun buildup was for nothing. There's just a certain point where everything cascades downhill and suffice to say, I uninstalled it and will be doing more productive things for the time being.

Fuck.
??????? o.O;
Maybe you managed to sequence break? Or maybe there's more to the story that you've not found yet? Check the wikia or something to make sure.
Liberty
??????? o.O;
Maybe you managed to sequence break? Or maybe there's more to the story that you've not found yet? Check the wikia or something to make sure.

Believe me, I checked the wiki out of pure confusion, several times. It's just bad writing. Another fun fact wiki-ing led me to discover was that there's nowhere near as much content as it seems there is, due to the way to side quests and factions deceptively and badly intertwine with the main quest.

What a bunch of fuck.

Despite my anger/ragequitting, I'll probably re-install it and check it out some more in a week or two, once the disappointment and frustration has worn off.I really can't be bothered to give it the time of day right now, after all that bullshit.
Welp. I'll make my own thoughts on the matter when I do the story, but I'm just having fun roaming around collecting a series of Power Suits (I have two now!) and just messing about, so... even if it's just that, I've enjoyed myself. I mean, I still haven't finished the main story to either Fallout 3 OR Skyrim OR Oblivion, so... XD
Put some specifics in spoiler tags. How can we know the story is unfinished without knowing exactly how it is unfinished.
Uh, pretty sure most spoilerific stuff are in spoiler tags here...?
I meant about Pizza's specific grievances with the endgame.
Man, I found that sniper rifle on my personal game and then explored the carpark near there just fine, but on my LP profile I went to grab it and there was a fucking Youi Gai (that thing) there and fuuuuuuuck no, I forgot what they were and sniped it... then had to run the fuck away as it almost destroyed me.

Also found that quarry, but remembering the horror that was the quarry in NV, I was very careful to sneak around and didn't run into the guy there. Instead I found an abandonned trailer with a terminal that talked about how it flooded and then mentioned noises. I noped the fuck out of that too. If I'd known it was just Mirelurks I would have poked around a bit more - especially since I ran into one in the tunnels under Concord and had no problems killing the damn thing.

I specced into Attack Dog so Dogmeat does a great job killing things like botflies and fuckrats, and he holds down raiders and the like so I can kill them easily. One of the perks I'm definitely enjoying, especially since I tend not to use VATS and the Suit too often.

Speaking of the suit, found a spare one just to the east (Sanctuary-side) of that place with the minigun that you mentioned, Sated. There's a road running past it and up it a bit is a junkyard where I found a Fatman. There's also a big robot there that I was too scared to turn on because I'm a chicken, even in my power armour. XD

Oh, and I've fought two special enemies so far - one dog and one roach, both around that base you mentioned where the guy had the minigun. The roach fight was easy enough, and I got a sweet drop from it, and the dog was also pretty neat too.

Also, I heard a terrifying rumour that there are fucking camoflague fucking deathclaws... just what the world needed. >.<;

I think the ammo thing is pretty random - on my LP play I'm doing okay ammo-wise, but on my personal play I'm running out a bit. I've played both about the same amount of time, and I don't have the ammo perk on either so I'd say it's pretty random. I was watching an LP (I only watch up to where I am so I don't spoil myself for the story) and they got a ton of ammo out of that area with the raiders you mentioned - meanwhile I got a fair bit of food and healing items instead. I think it's mainly stuff that isn't on the map itself - so stuff in file cabinets and other containers, as well as some random enemies having random loot tables.

Still, having a ton of fun. After I finish my LP of it I might consider doing a Dapper challenge run - basically just wearing a clothing suit (no armour) and hardest difficulty. I'll have to spec in toughness and agility (sneak) so that I can survive, but it'll be an interesting challenge.

Also, I have literally spent hours creating, decorating and then filling in details in my houses. Like, make the house, make rooms, add furniture and the like, then add misc items I find in other places like newspapers, brushes, pots, pans, etc. One of my houses has two full places at the table (plates, knives, forks, spoons and glasses) as well as a vase and... it's just so much fun fucking around with it all. XD

(if you want to watch my lp you can check it out here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA5Y6isOV7_xKCjOQjitkhksfuTjEbJq2.
Fair warning, they run long and the first episode was streamed with my shitty internet so it looks like complete crap. The rest are a high quality, though.)