HOW WOULD YOU SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE

Pages: first 12 next last
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
I'm serious. How would you? What is your plan? Share tips, and advice, which I'm pretty sure is redundant, but I'm too lazy to check. What items would you bring? Discuss this hypothetical(?) situation here!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Well, I work at an international airport, take a subway to work and live in a metropolis.

I'm already dead.
If not, my plan is to leave.
Same with Dudesoft, I'd more than likely end up dead (or in this case, undead).

Assuming that I do survive, I'd likely head for the forests up the mountains. There's plenty of food, water, and other resources up there. Well okay, there's usually just coconuts and fish. Maybe a few small birds or so. Not only that, few people from the lowlands/cities (like me) would head for the mountains.

I'd definitely need some blades to survive. Food and water won't be a problem, so no use bringing any with me. Spare clothes are superfluous, though an extra pair of shoes and a jacket would be nice. Something to start fires with would also be good. It's not easy to start fires by rubbing sticks together, and it takes too much time. I might bring medicine, but it isn't that high a priority. Everything else, I can just make with what I find up there, I guess.

How well I fare there is another topic altogether. I'm not exactly confident of my outdoor skills, but I'm betting I can pull through somehow.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I would probably wonder how in the world a zombie apocalypse was even happening in the first place and ask myself many philosophy-of-science-related questions before being bitten to death.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I would attempt to survive forever as one of the undead.

My IT-focused skillset, collection of unsharpened fantasy swords, lazy outlook on life, and potbelly would be unlikely to help me survive on the other side. Might as well join the winning team.
Hidden underground bunker inside my house, one vertical entrance with an extra metal gate. Food for 20 years. I would assume that zombies would rot away after about 10 due to decomposition, so I'd wait them out.

Realistically, I live in a small town away from a ton of people. If we saw people start to turn evil, I could hide in my home. We have guns (mainly cuz my dad feels like if the government ever goes crazy or a murderer/rapist enters, it's good to have), two entrances, lots of heavy bookcases for the rear one (assuming I didn't use that to escape out the back, windows good enough for rear visibility, but high enough they would have to climb in. We have a kitchen near the back, and an outdoor fireplace. I could think of alot of plans.
I work in the library, and there are double doors to enter, meaning anyone shambling in, I probably would have time to respond to.
In the span of a year, I would probably lose any extra weight before starving to death.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I'd be fine. I'm armed, too. Windows are high impact resistant. Doors are nice and heavy.

bulmabriefs144
(mainly cuz my dad feels like if the government ever goes crazy or a murderer/rapist enters, it's good to have)

It sounds like you've never experienced this.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I'd try to have as much fun as possible before eventually dying, so essentially the way I live now.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Carry lots of water. Steal a good car. Ride it for as long as I can get free gasoline and gather up supplies like ammo, non-perishable food, melee weapon, books, seeds, etc.

Then just drive out to a highland area with a good view of the countryside and barricade it off. This is all assuming that the human population has been decimated. If it hasn't then someone else will probably shoot me and then do something else that's incredibly stupid.
Die probably. It's likely that my friends/family that are more able to fight without flipping out will take care of me, but I'm certain that wouldn't last forever. Maybe there will be some safe place we can go to until the zombies are gone.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'd want a moped for travel. Less fuel, duck and weave between cars and if I have to run because I'm cornered somehow, it's not hard to stand up.
poison

no way am i living in a hellscape of zombies, no thanks, nope, no thank you, i'm good
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Zombie apocalypse is overrated.

Unless they had been infected by the parasitic insects in Africa, it's an absolute impossibility.

In the cases of possibility, they're humans but with no heightened sense of intellect or self-preservation.

They'd be just as easy to kill as regular human beings, so simply just have a weapon capable of killing a person, you're fine.

The closest thing we have to a zombie apocalypse is the corporate machine and the system of society built for the unenlightened masses.

But, to answer the question, some sort of lethal weapon. Zombies are like humans except there's no law or moral anxiety against killing them.

I think it'd be fun.
@BM
Fun seems like a bit of an overstatement.
I figure it's a possibilty if some scientist really puts his mind to it for some reason. They probably wouldn't be dead though, just mindfucked by some virus or parasite. There are already drugs that when taken makes the person do whatever someone says to them, so making someone lose their shit and attack people indiscriminately should be possible.

I would do my best to survive, try to learn some survival skills and go off into the woods, but chances are I'd starve before I could catch any meat without weapons. Well, you never know. I'd probably try to find some really remote cabin in the woods. I hate camping.
I live in a town with a military garrison fairly nearby. Depending on danger levels that would be a nice place to loot. Except of course that everyone else would have come up with the same idea. There's also a military zone fairly close by and I know of at least one bunker which I believe contains a bunch of surplus vehicles and stuff. (It is slightly less known. The garrison everyone would know about, but depending on who survives the bunkers might be less well-known) My sister lives right next to the garrison so I would always just check on her and at the same time see if there's any chance of procuring anything useful from there.

After that we have a summer cottage in a valley-like location. It has a fresh-water spring within walking distance (I don't know exactly where it is. But I believe it is near another cottage and they use it. But in the zombie apocalypse I guess they won't really mind) The summer cottage location feels like a decently easy place to defend. Unless there's a really massive horde coming. Since it's a valley (of sorts) it has hills on either side that can be helpful.

Then eventually I'd die because I don't really have much in the way of survival skills. It is doubtful I would last a winter. Summer would probably work out because there's so much edible stuff to forage.
BizarreMonkey
author=SnowOwl
@BM
Fun seems like a bit of an overstatement.
Probably, but I have always had a strange desire to punish other human beings, I think in some way, we all do. Some are just less aware of it than others.

It'd be a good sporting way to go down. Killing Zombies in the name of 'because I felt like it'.

That said, i'd need a weapon that was effective in the hands of a lightweight like me, I'm not exactly very fit, and my agility is hampered somewhat by severe osteopyrosis.

Something like Esperia's needlegun would work well. I've made a crossbow or two during my life (or Slingbows, in that there's no locking function, it's essentially a super accurate slingshot that fires thin javelins, personally I used bamboo skewers, but drillbits would work well if you're trying to kill someone), one of which had no effort puncturing holes through thick vinyl blinds with frightening accuracy. I built a weapon capable of extinguishing human life when I was only fourteen... heaven only knows what I could accomplish now I'm nearly twice that age.

Buying weapons? Hah.

Why buy when I can make. Few really handy things about slingbows.
-Silent, both in loading and firing.
-No misfires, if you're loading it you're also firing it shortly after.
-Small (the one I made back in '01 was the size of a pen crossed with a paddle-pop stick, if you had large sleeves, you could effectively hide it without a worry.)
-Ammo is abundant, just find bamboo skewers or better yet, drill bits and you're golden.
-You'd have to be an absolute idiot and literally point it at you to hurt yourself with it. Unlike guns that tend to have nasty recoil.
wait the few days it takes for the bacteria, insects and other carrion eaters to take care of the zombies.

Head north. Uncovered flesh freezes in a matter of minutes. Freezer burn would utterly DESTROY a zombie.
BizarreMonkey
Zombies and their apocalypse are a fantastical sort of thing, if it does legit happen, won't be anything like what games teach us it would be like.
Pages: first 12 next last