D&D FORUM GAME: SIGNUP THREAD AND INTRO

If not six person party, maybe an antagonist or fellow traveller of some kind? A cameo role, that is.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Hehe, yes, I could 'NPC' if you want. Or...well if it was a regular weekly session, I'd volunteer to be an understudy or a substitute. But of course I'd prefer to PC, but (again of course) it's up to you.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I take it this will play out sort of like a play by email kind of game?
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Damn, missed it by that much. Love me some rp...
Edit: missed it because I was so busy playing Pathfinder irl! Lol...
You should all play bards. Bard the Bardening.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Did someone say 'bards?'
Bards can be deceptively awesome. Actually one of my favorite classes. And 5e made them full casters, so they no longer have the spell progression problem.

And you know what, I usually set my limit to five people, but I've occasionally run stuff for six. Last time I ran anything in meatspace at my uni's gaming society, I miscounted, thought I had five players, and there were six when we all got together in a room. Not wanting to be a dick and kick someone out, I opened Kobold Fight Club to adjust encounters and started with six. It went well enough.

So while I'm usually not too comfortable pushing the party size over five, it's nothing that I can't handle, and the textual nature of the forum may actually make things easier to handle. So yeah, guess I'm adding Max in.

And 5e is kinda like 3.X, but somewhat streamlined and with less number crunching. The transition should be easy. Things in like AC and attack bonuses scale slower than before, deliberately to make it so low level monsters in large numbers can still threaten high level characters. BAB, save growth charts, and skill points are gone, and a universal proficiency bonus that scales with level was introduced to handle the things they did before. Most situational bonuses and penalties that would add or subtract from rolls were replaced by advantage and disadvantage, in which you roll twice and take the highest or the lowest roll. Prepared spells are no longer tied to specific spell slots, so you don't need to prepare a spell multiple times if you want to cast it more than once; preparing a spell once lets you cast it as many times as you have spell slots. Also, you can power up spells by casting them on higher level spell slots, if you have them available.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I was actually going to use the bard class, but now I'm worried that a bunch of people will be using it.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
author=pianotm
I was actually going to use the bard class, but now I'm worried that a bunch of people will be using it.

Rogue or cleric for me most likely.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Definitely a fighter/rogue for me.
Solitayre
I've run groups of over fifteen people. Y'all are lightweights.

I mean, games like that lend themselves more to free-wheeling chaos than some people might like but it was fun watching a group that big roleplay and interact.
pianotm
author=Solitayre

I mean, games like that lend themselves more to free-wheeling chaos than some people might like but it was fun watching a group that big roleplay and interact.

Online or in person because there's a big difference?
I'm a newb to the whole thing so I'll probably be ranger. Or whatever best fits the ninja archetype (fast, high damage/crits). xp
What the-
How did-
I didn't even consider-

...I could run a Pathfinder game this way?
pianotm
author=Liberty
I'm a newb to the whole thing so I'll probably be ranger. Or whatever best fits the ninja archetype (fast, high damage/crits). xp

In 5e, you would want monk (or shadow monk) or a rogue (if you literally want to be an assassin type).
Solitayre
author=pianotm
author=Solitayre

Online or in person because there's a big difference?

Online. I'm not that insane.
author=Liberty

For a ninja ninja, go monk, then spec in way of shadows once you reach level 3. The Player's Handbook even refers to them at ninjas in the first paragraph. For an agile, high physical damage character, besides that, there's the rogue, which can deal good damage with its sneak attacks, and even gets an assassin spec. Fighters can also be built to be on the agile end. As for crits, the only way to increase crit rate through class features alone is with a champion spec fighter. Most combat-focused classes have some other way to improve damage, though.

author=Cecil_Beoulve
What the-
How did-
I didn't even consider-

...I could run a Pathfinder game this way?

You could, but I've always seen Pathfinder being played with a grid. If you could have it done without it, it would be easier.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I wanna be a dwarf mage if that's cool with ya. :D
I just sent you all a PM. If for some reason you didn't receive it, let me know.