FUN WITH FORMULAS

Pages: first prev 12345 last
Yeah, FFVI, oh my god...

Isn't a lot of the weirdness with their algorithm because of the fact that damage is mostly determined by level, but very little with actual stats?
The regular attack damage algorithm has a Level^2 in it:

Damage = Battle Power + ((Level * Level * Attack) / 256) * 3 / 2

(Attack has Vigor * 2 that caps at 255 and a bit more)

Compared to the magic damage algorithm:

Damage = Spell Power * 4 + (Level * Magic Power * Spell Power / 32)

So stats matter more with magic attacks than physical ones
author=GRS
So stats matter more with magic attacks than physical ones

Yeah, and it's painfully obvious and I think it's a big imbalance; Magic and its universal availability to almost everyone in an ensemble cast really slam dunks the balance in the trash.
I wonder if there is a way to tweak them so that magic and physical attacks are more on par while still keeping the FFVI feel.
Sure yeah, you can equalize the Magic and Physical stats, but the issue of accessibility and the pure utility of Magic still remains. The end of the game is still basically a race to get Ultima so you can Gem Box+Quick+Ultima everything into the ground.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
A big part of the problem is magic is used in the formula for pretty much anything that isn't the fight command. Even things like Blitzes, Swordtechs, things you'd think would rely on physical stats are still magic driven, so characters who suck at magic get outclassed pretty quickly in raw damage.

The end of the game is still basically a race to get Ultima so you can Gem Box+Quick+Ultima everything into the ground.

Why would you even need to do this
author=Solitarye
Why would you even need to do this

Because it's too easy not to. The game basically hands you the keys to it, in relation to similar endgame quests.

EDIT: And this also applies in the GBA Dragon's Den, which the game actually does have actual challenge, and very interesting enemies and strategies that you have to work around and figure out, while trying to resist the urge to press the 'fuck it nuke everything' button.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Feldschlacht IV
EDIT: And this also applies in the GBA Dragon's Den, which the game actually does have actual challenge, and very interesting enemies and strategies that you have to work around and figure out, while trying to resist the urge to press the 'fuck it nuke everything' button.

So, how does the 'nuke it' option function? Is it like Dragon Quarter where it has plot-related impact or limited use? Or is it just an option they give you that makes things too easy if exploited?
FF6 has a series of ridiculously overpowered attacks. Not counting glitches the Gem Box (allows you to cast two spells in one action), Quick (spend 99MP to take two turns immediately), and Ultima (80MP for strongest raw damage but it isn't elemental so you can't get x2 damage via weakness and it doesn't ignore defense iirc) that feld mentioned is basically the simple but slow way of doing piles of damage easily. With sufficient grinding you can get each Ultima to do 9999 damage and if you can do four in one turn action that's 39996 damage. In FF6 the main game doesn't have bosses that have more than 65535 HP (the normal max, 2^16 - 1) so everything dies super quick. In the postgame added in the GBA port of FF6 they do a trick with some bosses to give them more HP than that but it generally doesn't last much longer if at all.

e: That's one character's action doing 40k damage. There's not much stopping the next character from doing the same besides only having one Gem Box but you can still just Quick->Ultima&Ultima for another 20k. Repeat for the rest of the party. /e:

e2: Actual super late edit: I was wrong! You can x-magic -> Ultima, Quick which then gives you two more actions to cast Ultima. So 50k damage from one character. I think x-magic -> Quick, Quick only gives you the effect of casting it once, I haven't tested it because Ultima spam is boring and garbage. /e2:

author=kentona
I wonder if there is a way to tweak them so that magic and physical attacks are more on par while still keeping the FFVI feel.

There's a rom hack, Brave New World iirc, that restricts who gets what espers. That, esper & spell changes, and some algorithm changes changed characters so they can get roles you can build around. For example with Sabin you can use espers to build up his Vigor which more of his Blitzes use in the hack, MagicPower for his other blitz and spells, or whatever the Vitality stat is in FF6 as his healing blitzs scale off of that (in addition to just making him sturdier). I haven't played it though but I've heard good things until the WoR where bosses get too much HP to be interesting.
author=hedge1
First, if you're going to have multiple attacks in a round, ensure they're fast and don't waste time. I'd say even the sword slashes from FFT would be too long. Look for animations of 1-2 seconds or less.

You made a very useful comment. I'll take it into account when working on animation. Currently, the game has no animation: the delay between attacks depends on how fast you press the attack button again.

author=hedge1
Second, make sure that the optimal strategy isn't always to move as little as possible to maximize damage. Since 3 attacks is literally 300% damage versus one, it's easy to just sit back and wait for the enemy to move towards you and do one damage, while you counter for three damage next turn.

This is something I noticed while building the maps. Defending your positions is too often the best strategy; except when your cavalry needs to rush the enemy archers. I'm going to introduce an impact bonus when a unit moves to an enemy and deliver its first attack: moving two hexagons towards the enemy then attack would cause 2 damages and remove some Action Point to the target (stunt effect).

author=hedge1
Third, a good rule to follow is the simpler your game, the shorter it should be. So you're probably not looking at a long game. That's probably for the best though, since it gives you a greater chance to finish it and, if it's popular, gives you a reason to make a sequel.

Totally agree! A minimum viable product of my game is already available. And some members made useful comments on it. So I know what improvements to focus on (even before thinking of a sequel).
It's staggering that Final Fantasy implemented a damage cap to prevent players from killing all the bosses on the first turn, but it still fails to actually accomplish this.

@Irog: I can think of many ways how you can prevent turtling in a tactical RPG:

-A sniper/artillery type enemy who can ping your units over a huge range
-Reinforcements from behind
-A turn limit to accomplish the goal
-Means to build bridges or clear obstacles to flank units at a chokepoint
-Enemies who are hugely superior in numbers but heavily scattered across the map
-Units that can cross slowing/blocking terrain without problems
-Capturable strategic positions
-As you said, a charge attack that requires prior movement
author=kentona
okay, I found this formula in my notes txt file, with no explanation or source:

(5+slv)*sqrt(a.str/b.vit*(a.atk*x*skill_power)*a.lv/16) - b.def

thoughts? anyone know what this is from?

I have no idea what this is from, but the a and b makes it look like a VX Ace formula, so I'm not sure if it's from a commercial game in the first place.

Anyway, a few analysis. slv is likely skill-level. If this is true, then the skill increases in power with 1/5 for every skill level up if the formula reads skill level 1 as 0 and with 1/6 if it reads skill level 1 as 1.

On the offense side, the game has both str and atk and on the defensive side, it has vit and def. Presumable str and vit is character governed and atk and def is equipment governed and the game did want to keep them separated. str and atk are multiplied with each other, but since both are put into a square root, it works out so that if you have double str and double atk, you deal double damage prior to defense subtraction instead of quadruple.

If slv really is skill level, then a.lv is probably attacker's level. I have no idea what x is, but assuming it usually stays constant, there are within the square root three variables that raises the damage as the characters progress trough the game and one which decreases the damage. This works out as the square root function increasing linearly (except maybe from the very first few levels where the a.lv part may force it to increase much faster early on). Another plausible case is that str and vit stays static, but it would still work out as the square root function increasing linearly.

However, the "5+slv" part makes it look like the damage goes up exponentially. Then the target's def is subtracted from that exponential damage. Typically, if you have attack and defense in your game, you don't design it so that defense has to quadruple or something like that every time attack doubles, but if my guesses are correct, it kind of has to in order to remain relevant.

There are some other seemingly mind boggling details in the formula. Putting the skill_power (which is presumable replaced by a number in the actual formula) inside the square root instead of outside it just causes extra work. Assume you want a single target skill to be one and half a time as strong as a multi target one, you have to make skill power 1,5 * 1,5 = 2,25 times as high instead of just 1,5 times as high. Not that hard, but it still means extra work, especially if you want a number you cannot square in the head.

The middle parenthesis inside the square root has no purpose since there's only * and /. I can only guess that it's there because someone altered a formula where the parenthesis had a purpose in a way so that it no longer has a purpose, but didn't think to remove it. This makes it increasingly hard to find the source.

Anyway, to summarize a bit; It's a skill who's damage doubles after you level it up five or six times. It's from a game which separate equipment governed attack and defense from character governed strength and vitality. The attacker's level also by itself raises damage dealt as it goes up. It's all guesses though.
author=LightningLord2
It's staggering that Final Fantasy implemented a damage cap to prevent players from killing all the bosses on the first turn, but it still fails to actually accomplish this.

One of my favorite things to do is try to kill Kefka before he even gets to speak in the final battle. Since anyone in the air automatically falls after the 3rd tier ends, it's actually pretty easy to do.

Also, it always confused me that FF4 gave more than ~65,000 HP to its bosses, but FF6 for some reason figured it was unnecessary to break the 16-bit limit.
Technically Zeromus didn't either!

My two guesses is that they didn't feel it was necessary due to the multistage nature of the fight (Neo Exdeath was similar, same HP cap but it wasn't necessary since there were four of him), or it fucked up the scripting and nobody cared too much for a game made for kids in the hellscape that is game development.
@ LightningLord2

Thanks for the list of ideas!
Pages: first prev 12345 last