COMPETITON IDEA?

Pages: 1
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
So this was an idea I had a few days ago. Perhaps it could be a thing.

The Idea

Basically, it is a competition, and a (probably) simple one. There are two people to a team, no less. One person is a newbie, and the other a person who is experienced in the development of games using a certain software, for example, RPG Maker VX Ace. The newbie would be tasked with the creation of the game itself, but the person with experience would be able to help with anything the newbie was confused about. Say the newbie didn't know how to use formulas, the "mentor"(person with experience) would be able to help them figure it out, therefore teaching them to do it by themselves. In terms of external resources (is that the right word?) such as tilesets, sprites, art, or music, both the newbie and the mentor would be able to work on it.

How does this sound?
Any questions for me?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
So basically it's not so much a team as a newbie competition with assigned mentors?

I'd say in this case don't even have any special resources, just make the whole thing RTP and make it a competition solely on gam mak with the system itself.
Yeah, I've had this thought before for a competition. It might be a neat one to try in the new year - we'll be having the Secret Santa shortly and people need a bit of time to chill after the last event. No need to burn them out~

It is a pretty cool idea though.
if the goal is to teach newbies about how flakey and unreliable oldbies are and that in the end they better be prepared to do everything themselves, I'm in.
Maybe somebody will take an interest in Sim RPG Maker 95, helping me to feel relevant in the 21st century. Probably not, though.
author=Dyhalto
Maybe somebody will take an interest in Sim RPG Maker 95, helping me to feel relevant in the 21st century. Probably not, though.

I wouldn't mind learning that engine one day. ;)
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I think something sort of along these lines was suggested for a mcbacon jam, though im not sure how well itd go even to this day. Could be interesting in a different context outside of MBJ though.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
this sounds cool i would like to be the obi wan to someone's darth vader

wait.
but what qualifies as a new? and an old? time spent on site?
^Better not be # of gams completed :(

author=Luchino
I wouldn't mind learning that engine one day. ;)
>BD
I'll hold you to that.
unity
You're magical to me.
Hehe, I had a very similar idea back in January :D

author=unity
Hehe, I had a very similar idea back in January :D

author=kentona
That way newbies could see how jaded, detached, and flaky I've become!! Great idea!
author=kentona
if the goal is to teach newbies about how flakey and unreliable oldbies are and that in the end they better be prepared to do everything themselves, I'm in.

HA, SAME

OTL
Pages: 1