[RM2K3] FULL GAME OR EPISODES?

Pages: 1
Now this seems a bit lazy on my part, but as a new developer, doing small bits and pieces of a story that builds on itself to keep myself from burning out seems the best way to go.

If I was to stick to working on a long and drawn out development I feel what ever I would develop would take a huge hit.

What do you guys think? Are episodes the way to go with a new developer to gain their "sea legs" so to say? Or just right in an go for a more normal gaming experience?
I don't think it's necessarily lazy, at all. You should do whatever is more personally manageable precisely so you lower the chance of burning out and losing interest in continuing the project.

I have been planning smaller and smaller games to the point where now I would like to make really small instalments - separate games, not just episodes of one game - in the same universe so that they all tell part of a larger story, but are self-contained and have their own story and character arcs.

Many of the seasoned devs here will likely tell you to make tiny games first to learn the basics (if you're an absolute beginner). A lot of seasoned developers may also make episodic games anyhow, so really it's just about what suits you for how you work on, and execute, a game.
Well Suzy_, they don't come fresher than me I think! Just the subject manner of the project I'm working is going to be a kit bash... I have my battle sprites and story down, dialogue has been written. This first installment is going to be very simple. I mean, I'm breaking this sucker down Barney Style (for any of you former Marines out there).

I just want to let this project grow and my biggest hope is that it will just get to the point that it will just start writing itself so to say as I get better with the art work, besides re-skinning battlers and cheesing chip sets.
I think episodic is a very viable way for indie developers to release content. And I'm with suzy: it's not lazy. If it keeps your motivation high, then it's probably your best option.
Back in my day episodes were called sequels.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
hedge1: In my experience the problem is that it does the exact opposite. Once you release an episode, one of two things happens (sometimes both):
1) The euphorea of having finished and released a game hits you, and you are filled with contentment. Your motivation and drive to continue production disappears, because you no longer have that hole in your soul where a completed game should be.
2) The first episode fails miserably, and you realize that it would be better to do something else than try to build off of a failure.

If you're a highly experienced developer on your fifteenth game, then the first problem becomes much less of a big deal. At that point your reasons and motivations for making your game are very different than a new developer's are. But it's a huge problem for new developers, who are not accustomed to the wonderful feelings that accompany release. (In fact, even just posting blogs about stuff you've finished making in your game while it's still in progress can trigger these feelings of success and completion, and kill your motivation!)

I think, if you're worried about burnout from a long, drawn-out development, you should instead make games that don't require a long, drawn-out development. Lots and lots and LOTS of players prefer games that are only a couple hours long. You can make a game like that in just a few months. Basically, you have the right idea with breaking the work down, but you shouldn't make it so that your games feel incomplete when they're released. Make each one a separate unrelated story, or at least make each one stand completely on its own, instead of ending with "sequel bait."
author=Merlandese
Back in my day episodes were called sequels.

I remember those days as well, but hey, gotta change with the times right?

author=LockeZ
hedge1: In my experience the problem is that it does the exact opposite. Once you release an episode, one of two things happens (sometimes both):
1) The euphorea of having finished and released a game hits you, and you are filled with contentment. Your motivation and drive to continue production disappears, because you no longer have that hole in your soul where a completed game should be.
2) The first episode fails miserably, and you realize that it would be better to do something else than try to build off of a failure.

1. I'm the type of person that isn't ever satisfied. There is always something you can improve and change. Instead of going into a game that I've already finished pay testing and fixing major bugs, I would like to give something else a chance. Look, I know the way I am and if I kept going with one game I'd be releasing a patch every day for a year or more hahaha
2.If the first episode fails miserably, put your skull in the dirt and drag, can't ever stop pushing forward. Learned a long time ago that even a soup sandwich can be brought back from the brink with enough work and determination.

Once again, I just want to thank everyone for the great ideas and help. I'm in love with this community!
Pages: 1