SOME DEMO RELEASING CONCERNS.

Pages: 1
Okay, so I've been working on a game for quite some time and should have a demo fairly soon, but I've been a bit worried about releasing a demo. The reason being that even though I'd like the early feedback, the final game itself will take a long time to complete so by the time it's out, it'll be buried under a mountain of new games, and maybe a handful of subscribers may or may not decide to take a brief look again (if there are any) - it seems like most other games get around this either by having really good PR, having a lot of custom content, or being made by someone who's RM famous to some degree. As a result, I'm concerned that the full game, if released on this site, will have very little traffic compared to a fresh release of the full game without an initial early demo (maybe that wouldn't have so much traffic either, but what can ya do)

Not really sure what I want to do at this point. Anybody care to help me from going nuts about something that probably has a simple answer?
It really depends on how well what you put out resonates with people. If your demo is enjoyed, then people will keep an eye out for the full game. You'll also get early feedback, which helps so that if you have a system or something that needs balancing, you know to look out for that instead of releasing a full game and then having people pick it to bits because of issues that could have been pointed out earlier.

Frankly, I think demos are a good idea, especially for those who aren't known in the community that well, because it gives people a taste of who you are and what you make, letting them get to know you a bit better through your work and how you react to feedback.

Really, both sides have pros and cons.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I agree with Libby that demos are great when your starting out so we actually start to see who you are and we can give you better feedback but also if your have like experimental systems in your game it might be good to have a tech demo. Just a lot of demos are normally thrown together for games or just a small part of the game that cuts off not at the right time so when ever I do demos for stuff I try to make it like in the universe and show off the stuff I've been working on but not be part of the final game. Like a special episode thing kinda!
if you have a demo that people enjoy, they will subscribe to your game and get notices whenever you post blogs or new downloads, or finish the game.
Personally I skip demos for review purposes - but I definitely agree with what said.
I usually just search for random completed games, or recent games (which DOES include updates - so if you do change it later, it will be bumped up again)

It is easier for people to give demos a quick whirl, since it is just a little bit of a taste of the game (and thus not as long). So is asking for people to give a demo a quick whirl. Anything you can show for yourself is good in an rmn-world where many people vanish into the abyss
Thanks for all the responses! I will definitely look into putting out a first chapter demo once I get one ready.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
People/subscribers tend to stick around if a download is available, that's what I do and from others experience!

And if it helps, my very first game Infection started out as this First Version to this
from that it became what it is today so hopefully that's a good example of putting out a demo early and not having to worry about it being stale or buried later.

It is also as Liberty said, if people like what you offer they will stick around and providing a DEMO is a great start.
Pages: 1