VIDEO GAME FRANCHISES THAT NEED TO RETURN

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I concur. Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, The Soul Blazer trilogy, all need to make a comeback. It would be unfortunate for current/future generations not to be able to experience that kind of games... Outside of "retro-gaming", that is.

I would also like to add Legend of Dragoon, Xenosaga, Star Ocean, and Grandia, to the list. Legend of Dragon is easily the most underrated jrpg ever. Xenosaga, was never given the chance it deserved; it was rushed out. Star Ocean kinda became a collection of anime tropes in later years. And Grandia was a very "fresh" game at the time too, but the sequels were never as charming as the original...

Seriously, how come all of these awesome franchises went away, but we get a new "Tales of" every other year? xP
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Star Ocean? There was a Star Ocean on PSOne, PS2, PS3, and now I've got the next, upcoming Star Ocean for PS4 saved on my Amazon watchlist.
Well, that's what I was trying to say by "in later years". I know Star Ocean is still a thing, but I think it has drifted away from its roots, like other games mentioned in this thread (Breath of fire, Phantasy Star). To me, the last "legit" Star Ocean was 2 in the original Playstation. xP
Non-RPG opinion: Wario Land.

Like, come on. WarioWare is fun and all, but I'd kill for another Wario Land game sometime within the next dynasty.

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=kentona
not really a franchise, but:

It had a game on the PC before the SNES version, so it kind of counts?

I'd actually love to see a modern take on it, especially since the series is more about its narrative than an actual paleontology simulator.

author=SgtMettool
Non-RPG opinion: Wario Land.

Like, come on. WarioWare is fun and all, but I'd kill for another Wario Land game sometime within the next dynasty.

I'd kill for a Wario anything withing the next dynasty. Even Warioware is starting to get neglected a little bit.
author=alterego
Well, that's what I was trying to say by "in later years". I know Star Ocean is still a thing, but I think it has drifted away from its roots, like other games mentioned in this thread (Breath of fire, Phantasy Star). To me, the last "legit" Star Ocean was 2 in the original Playstation. xP

Like ..

SPYRO. *sniff*

I actually think the last of the newer ones was decent, but in a completely different way (if only they didn't take themselves and the story so seriously).

Oh Spyro. It sparked my dragon love. As a kid I only scribbled spikey dragon creatures. Until I continued on to spiky creatures and then to humanoids/anthros.
author=Marrend
Off the top of my head, I'm mostly thinking about...

...this series.

I agree :D. Illusion of Gaia is one of the few games to show multiple real world culture and display them with mystery and intrigue.

Other IPs I'd like to see revived include:

Live A Live, an RPG where you play as different characters from around the world and time.

One of my favprite games of all time I still keep my Dreamcaast plugged just incase I want to replay it again.

This game is an official Nintendo made Zelda clone. It was a good game but it was way too hard. They need to reboot this in a Wind Waker style fashion and this time reduce the difficulty.

Also Metriod
@Ratty: Man, giving Bomberman online capabilities would be great. I'd love to see some 40-man bomberman matches.

For some reason people seem to hate this game, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Lennus series (the first one was ported over to the states as Paladin's Quest). That series had a really cool aesthetic, soundtrack, and world, and some neat progression, character, and combat mechanics that would be awesome to see further evolved. I recommend both games in the series for rpg aficionados, but Lennus 2 is a more polished experience if you want to hunt down the translation.

Also, I agree with Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, the Soul Blazer trilogy, and Phantasy Star.

Edit: And, yeah, E.V.O. was pretty sweet.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
rudra no hihou 2 baby

would love something real to come out of breath of fire again. i love those b-list rpg series like wild arms, lunar, arc the lad, that kind of stuff that died out hard after the ps2

More of this. With more characters, so there can be quirky Star Fox/Kid Icarus Uprising-style banter going on.
Wild Arms and Breath of Fire would be nice as well.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MONSTER

RANCHERRRRRR
Ratty524
author=Nivlacart
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MONSTER

RANCHERRRRRR

Oh my god. What even happened to that franchise?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Ratty524

Pokemon :V
Ratty524
author=Sooz
author=Ratty524
Pokemon :V

Pokemon came first but didn't really stop Monster Rancher. Also, the game places a bit more emphasis on raising and breeding than it does on catching loads of mons for battle. So it definitely distinguishes itself.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Not in the eyes of the buying public, obviously!
Yeah it really did feel like Monster Rancher died out because everyone compared it to Pokemon.

Which is really dumb because Monster Rancher, in my heart, is still the best Monster Raising Sim.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Monster Ranch was the shit. It sadly was in the age of Pokemon and Digimon which also died down compared to Pokemon.

Both of which, if I didn't have so much time invested in Pokemon would easily be a cooler world and games. Especially the Monster Ranch game for Playstation
1. I really want a new Advance Wars game
2. However, I think that Intelligent Systems is gonna botch it

Also, Etherlords needs another game that's -not- the shitty mobile game.
Pages: first prev 123 next last