VIDEO GAME FRANCHISES THAT NEED TO RETURN

Pages: first prev 123 last

I gotta believe! (that there will be a sequel)

I wonder if Capcom will ever dip into some of their older fighting games, like Rival Schools, Cyberbots, or Darkstalkers.

A new R-Type game with modern technology (and a budget) would be great, but more than likely far beyond the realm of ever happening. A new Cotton game would also be just grand, but that doesn't even have half of a ghost of a chance of happening lol. I wonder if it'd be too much to hope for a new Ray game from Taito, given that they've made (or, well, outsourced mostly) a new(ish) Darius game lately. Yeah, probably too much to ask for...

I wonder if we'll ever see another NiGHTs game. Though, I guess 2007 really isn't that long ago.

eta: Gargoyles Quest / Demon's Crest.

I can't think of too many other franchises off the top of my head, though. Just some one-off games that I'd like to see more of their style, like Einhander (Zweihander fucking when) or Silent Bomber. "Games you'd like to see sequels too" could probably be its own thread, though.

author=SgtMettool
Non-RPG opinion: Wario Land.

Like, come on. WarioWare is fun and all, but I'd kill for another Wario Land game sometime within the next dynasty.
Is the Wii game (Shake It!!) any good?

author=alterego
Seriously, how come all of these awesome franchises went away, but we get a new "Tales of" every other year? xP
Boiling down to a very small handful of franchises (outside of mobile games and some occasional half-assed/outsourced projects) seems to be how a lot of companies operate lately. I mean, it makes sense to stick with what's been successful, but I think there's a point where just end up milking it completely dry...
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=turkeyDawg
Boiling down to a very small handful of franchises (outside of mobile games and some occasional half-assed/outsourced projects) seems to be how a lot of companies operate lately. I mean, it makes sense to stick with what's been successful, but I think there's a point where just end up milking it completely dry...

"Milking it completely dry" is kind of the motto of most companies these days, so yeah.
author=Housekeeping
For some reason people seem to hate this game, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Lennus series (the first one was ported over to the states as Paladin's Quest). That series had a really cool aesthetic, soundtrack, and world, and some neat progression, character, and combat mechanics that would be awesome to see further evolved. I recommend both games in the series for rpg aficionados, but Lennus 2 is a more polished experience if you want to hunt down the translation.

I've never played it myself, but a few of my close friends have, and the complaint is the same: You have to cast all your magic from HP. Couple that with limited recovery options (Although I think the potions are full health recovery), and well...artificial difficulty, or so it's been explained to me.

I'd probably parrot the Chrono Trigger (I didn't dislike CC, but come on guys...we need a third game), Phantasy Star (although I did like the online games and thought IV closed out the series pretty nicely, all things considered).

I'm surprised no one's said Castlevania or Mega Man yet. I'll go with those, too.
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
Shadow Hearts.

Hell, give me any one of the three (Koudelka, less so) as a PS2 classic on PS4 and I will be happy for at least a whole year!
author=Deltree
Shadow Hearts.

Hell, give me any one of the three (Koudelka, less so) as a PS2 classic on PS4 and I will be happy for at least a whole year!

You and I are kindred spirits Deltree.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Gleason
I'm surprised no one's said Castlevania or Mega Man yet. I'll go with those, too.

I think we either wish Capcom as a whole could be anything but a shadow of its former self, or we are so used to being disappointed that we've given up hope for Capcom ever reviving its core franchises besides Street Fighter.
Well, to be fair, Mega Man has probably had enough games as it is. I mean, there's 11 classic games + I think 5 of those Gameboy games, 8 X games, 4 Zero games, and I don't know how many ZX games. Plus Mighty Number 9 coming out. And I guess there's Megaman Network Transmission, if you're really desperate.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Gleason

I feel like Mega Man's been sort of run into the ground. There's not a lot left to do with it other than recycle old games.

Castlevania... well, along with also being kind of run into the ground, I personally feel like it lost its way when it went from Action Dudes with Whips fighting Dracula to Angsty Prettyboys with Swords, Dracula Optional. It's getting closer to its roots, but it's still a little too animu for my tastes. :/ But then I am an old geezer who hates all these newfangled games that don't do it like the Good Old Days. Get off my lawn.
author=Gleason
I've never played it myself, but a few of my close friends have, and the complaint is the same: You have to cast all your magic from HP. Couple that with limited recovery options (Although I think the potions are full health recovery), and well...artificial difficulty, or so it's been explained to me.

There was limited healing, but the game gives you plenty of healing bottles, which have nine charges and can be equipped by each party member (you can use spare ones in your inventory to heal outside of battle). The games are fairly easy, really. The legitimate complaints people have over the first one are that mercenaries' equipment can't be changed, so you have to constantly change party members (but I kind of don't mind this--keeps the party composition fresh, and this gets changed in Lennus 2), the menus are clunky to navigate when using healing bottles (this also gets fixed in Lennus 2), and the enemy encounter rate was too high (not sure if this gets fixed...you can only really play it on emulator, and, well, I can't NOT frame skip). Also, some people hated the pastel color palette of the first one for some reason.
Pages: first prev 123 last