WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ANIME? IS IT OKAY TO ASK THIS???

author=karins_soulkeeper
My favourite is! *gasp* Shakugan no Shana!!!!!! (unsurprisingly) I won't go say why, because I'll end up fanboying.

Aside, there's Monogatari, Clannad, Nagi no Asukara, and Higurashi to name a few. Another and Mirai Nikki would've been up there as well if it weren't for their rather disappointing endings (especially in Another's case).

Another was disappointing at the end
I was expecting jumpscares when I first watched it.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else likes Higurashi! But may I ask who your favorite character is?
What put me off was in another was
that part when mei revealed she could 'see' death with her doll-eye. That was pretty much as far as my suspension of disbelief could go.

Higurashi is really good; it's atmosphere is just very well-established. In my opinion, at least. My fave character is Ooishi! Oh, main? Satoko, I guess.
author=CYBERLOUS
author=kentona
Astroboy
I never heard of that, though it sounds like it'd have something to do with space.
Y-You've never heard of Astroboy? Oh lord, that's like saying you've never heard of Akira!

It's like the father of anime and one of the first that made it over to western audiences... in English and on TV.

Look familiar?
author=karins_soulkeeper
What put me off was in another was
that part when mei revealed she could 'see' death with her doll-eye. That was pretty much as far as my suspension of disbelief could go.

Higurashi is really good; it's atmosphere is just very well-established. In my opinion, at least. My fave character is Ooishi! Oh, main? Satoko, I guess.
Okay, I'll have a character in my game cosplay as Satoko!
author=Liberty
author=CYBERLOUS
author=kentona
Astroboy
I never heard of that, though it sounds like it'd have something to do with space.
Y-You've never heard of Astroboy? Oh lord, that's like saying you've never heard of Akira!

It's like the father of anime and one of the first that made it over to western audiences... in English and on TV.
I never heard of Akira either!
I have never seen that boy in my life.
Well, I was only born in 2002....
Oh lord.

Astroboy was written by Osamu Tezuka, a very well-known and well-loved mangaka who is best known for Astroboy and Phoenix (but also for Kimba the White Lion, an anime that inspired the creation of the Lion King).

Akira is a very dark, edgy anime movie and one of the first adult anime that came to western shores. It was the anime that basically slapped the idea of 'cartoons are for kids' in the face and said 'this shit for adults too, yo!'

They're both a bit dated now, but they're still worth looking at. You can probably find episodes of Astroboy on youtube and Akira isn't hard to find (since it's a movie, it wouldn't take long to watch). It's worth it, if only to see how anime began and what it was like back then, and how it's grown over the years.
author=Liberty
Oh lord.

Astroboy was written by Osamu Tezuka, a very well-known and well-loved mangaka who is best known for Astroboy and Phoenix (but also for Kimba the White Lion, an anime that inspired the creation of the Lion King).

Akira is a very dark, edgy anime movie and one of the first adult anime that came to western shores. It was the anime that basically slapped the idea of 'cartoons are for kids' in the face and said 'this shit for adults too, yo!'

They're both a bit dated now, but they're still worth looking at. You can probably find episodes of Astroboy on youtube and Akira isn't hard to find (since it's a movie, it wouldn't take long to watch). It's worth it, if only to see how anime began and what it was like back then, and how it's grown over the years.

Oh, okay thank you
imho the origin story of Astroboy is hella-tragic
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
CYBERLOUS
author=kentona
Astroboy

No! No way!
author=pianotm
CYBERLOUS
author=kentona
Astroboy
No! No way!

Oh, I didn't know......
I think astoboy was aired here around 04, at the same time as dbz gt and sns. Regardless, you should definitely watch it >.<)b

And do go ahead with the satoko idea. I'd love to see how it'll turn out :)
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
My favorite animees is Cory in the House.

In all seriousness, Astro Boy is a good watch. The '80s version is closest to the original manga and probably the best of them. Just try to get past the horrible English dubbing.
author=karins_soulkeeper
I think astoboy was aired here around 04, at the same time as dbz gt and sns. Regardless, you should definitely watch it >.<)b

Okay!
author=Ratty524
My favorite animees is Cory in the House.

In all seriousness, Astro Boy is a good watch. The '80s version is closest to the original manga and probably the best of them. Just try to get past the horrible English dubbing.

But old animations hurt my eyes for some reason, I guess it's because of that time I stared at the sun for 15 min straight in fourth grade....
have we seriously not outgrown the 'um WHAT' reaction when somebody says that they aren't familiar with something

like, everyone has to hear about something for a first time! c'mon now

e: Cromartie is also really good? I've only seen a few episodes but I think I should study its timing sometime. it pulls off the pairing of absurd humour and serious, stone-faced characters very well!
I was about to say "inb4 corey in the house" but it seems I was too late.

Seconding Monster, Cromartie HS, Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Mushishi, and I guess Hellsing Ultimate but man that show gets exhausting after a while.

Anyways, off the top of my head, that haven't been mentioned:
Patlabor: The TV Series
The Slayers (all four anime series)
Excel Saga
New Getter Robo
New Dominion Tank Police (more for the feel than the actual writing)
uh... I think there's others, but I can't think of them right now.
e: FLCL. How could I forget?

I'd give reasons but I'm not so good at discussing these kinds of things, and my memory is pretty flaky on some of these anyways. While I regard them as "favorite anime", I haven't watched any of them more than once.

I thought for sure Blassreiter would become a favorite for me, but what started as a rather unique and mature action anime ended up being a stupid clusterfuck of half-baked cliches. Honestly, a startling number of anime lose their minds around the halfway point, or whenever they need to start wrapping things up, and not just the ones that outrun the manga they're an adaptation of.

And, while not really a favorite of mine, y'all should definitely check out Mononoke (2009, not the Miyazaki film). It can be slow and dry at times, but it's certainly something to look at.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=mawk
have we seriously not outgrown the 'um WHAT' reaction when somebody says that they aren't familiar with something
you ought to talk to my film/animation colleges.
Pre-SEED Gundam.

I don't watch anime anymore so I can't comment on anything within the last ten years.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I almost never watch anime but I watched The Castle of Cagliostro a couple days ago and it was a very good heist movie.

author=karins_soulkeeper

if by 04 you mean 1984, then yeah.

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I just started watching Erased, and damn is it worth bumping this thread over. It's been a while since I watched anime, as most new shows aren't really the genre I like, but Erased is already shaping up to join Death Note and Code Geass in my 'anime I hold in really high regard' list. And I've only watched three episodes. It's got that golden combination of psychological elements, a unique superpower and a modern setting.
Yu-gi-oh GX and it's abridged counterparts.