WHAT DO YOU THINK OF TEXANS?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Don't worry. Here in Europe we don't have separate stereotypes for Texan and non-Texan Americans. We think the rest of the country is as gun-loving and conservative as you guys.

Unfortunately, this is only half a joke.
author=Jeroen_Sol
Don't worry. Here in Europe we don't have separate stereotypes for Texan and non-Texan Americans. We think the rest of the country is as gun-loving and conservative as you guys.

Unfortunately, this is only half a joke.

Well, to be honest I can't think of anyone I know with a love for guns, but one of my friends told me her dad bought her a bb gun......To be honest though, I like swords, I own a pair of Japanese ones
Yeah, just the last one. I couldn't help myself.
Texas seems like a confusing place ( looking at it from so far away )
Some people seem big on church
Some big on guns
Others big on bbq
And what is mostly portrayed as the majority (by the media) xenophobic.
Then there is the undertones of homophobia.
But like all places the media only covers ear grabbing stories and so does not give a fair representation of a place.

Guns and the bbq I can believe, the rest I'm not convinced is a general sentiment.

So what is texas to you texans?
a texan appeared by the side of the road while I was driving last night. his eyes were a pale, luminous yellow and as he beckoned my car radio began to flicker and sputter. I gunned the engine and stopped at the next gas station to grab a coffee and collect my thoughts, and found that my rear bumper had been seared and warped as though by some great heat
author=UnityIron
Texas seems like a confusing place ( looking at it from so far away )
Some people seem big on church
Some big on guns
Others big on bbq
And what is mostly portrayed as the majority (by the media) xenophobic.
Then there is the undertones of homophobia.
But like all places the media only covers ear grabbing stories and so does not give a fair representation of a place.

Guns and the bbq I can believe, the rest I'm not convinced is a general sentiment.

So what is texas to you texans?

Hmm, well to me it's kind of annoying, then again most humans are in general.Also, it barely snows here, it hailed yesterday but it was the size of.....small jellybeans.It's really hot where I live, and when it rains the strongest source seems to be above my house.Everybody at school seems to like vines, but I find them to be stupid.Plus, some people that are assholes seem to be really scared around me(probably because I have this depressed/ I'm not taking any shit look on my face and some people seem to think I'm an adult.Plus, I wear a really long black coat everyday, even when it's hot.)
But I guess everyone else is uh, well, they like pizza and Mexican food a lot.No one really talks about guns though.Students in my fourth period seem to be interested in French(I'm taking it), there's only one French teacher for all grades, who always makes us speak in French.(So if I gotta use the restroom I have to flip through my notes and look for it)
Most of the time, unlike larger cities, people drive everywhere and while in the store some people(who don't know each other) just randomly start a conversation.
Hmm, I don't know what else, but I'm pretty sure this is just from my view(in which I look down on everyone)
Texas is big enough culturally that when I went overseas to various countries, my friends who were from Texas needed no further clarification or explanation when someone asked what part of America we were from. From Southeast Asia, the Middle East, to Europe, everyone knew what Texas was.
Lived in San Angelo for awhile. Friendliest drivers, best steaks.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I have no opinion on the people of Texas, though having among the lowest rates of high school graduates is kind of embarrassing. Like, what could influence that? :V
Like much of the States, I don't think about it very much. At least not till some dumb tragedy happebs and I get reminded.

I suppose Texans are fine. They probably get more of a bad rap than they deserve, maybe, speaking in "normal" terms.

Speaking on my own terms, I hold them in the same contempt I hold every other Human being. Not much anyone can do about that.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=CYBERLOUS
author=mawk
I think just the last one. anyone low-key calling you a weirdo would be pretty far off base.
Well, everyone at school does(plus the stares I get when I walk in.....)

Don't let it get you down. Same thing happened to me through a lot of high school, but things got better ^_^
I've met a LOT of Texans in my life, and even spent time in San Antonio (mostly for basic military training). And even though I get along with a few Texans, the majority I've interacted with (supervisors, coworkers, fellow students, dormmates at hostels, etc.) seem to dislike or hate me well before we have that "where are you from" conversation. (In real life, though. It's never been a problem online for some reason.)

Honestly, some of the people who have been the worst to me in my lifetime all ended up being from Texas. It's gotten to a point that if I feel like a new person and I are having a really hard time getting along I can guess they're from Texas.

Furthermore, I've traveled to a lot of sketchy places all over the world--real shitholes that most people would think are scary--and the only place I've ever been continuously threatened and fought is the regular streets of San Antonio. Hell, right now I'm in the slums of San Jose, Costa Rica, traveling solo, equipped with almost no Spanish, and I still feel safer than I ever did in Texas! XD

So as much as I think it's silly to bias for or against a group of people based on their location, I have an inherent inclination to step away from Texans.

This is a weird thread. I would guess that it could only exist if there's already some truth to the idea that Texans are thought of negatively compared to the other 49 states of the US.

author=Housekeeping
Another Texan here. Cool things about being Texan:

-We have tex mex and bbq--way better local cuisine than, say, the Northeast, and we dodged all the green chili/red chili shit from New Mexico.

This is one thing I hear consistently when meeting a new Texan! XD
author=unity
author=CYBERLOUS
author=mawk
I think just the last one. anyone low-key calling you a weirdo would be pretty far off base.
Well, everyone at school does(plus the stares I get when I walk in.....)
Don't let it get you down. Same thing happened to me through a lot of high school, but things got better ^_^

Oh I'm fine, I just glare at them then they back off.
I often wonder why Floridians have so many "WTF!" type of people down there.

The Heat maybe?
ESBY
extreme disappointment
what's a texas
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=ESBY
what's a texas

A place where George Bush's get made.
author=ESBY
what's a texas

Spongebob?
I get the impression Texas personifies the most conservative aspects of America: Furiously christian, homophobic, gun-loving and racist

I don't know why. The news?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Texans are like weeds: ugly as shit but incredibly hard to kill.
Pages: first prev 123 next last