GOOD 2D GAME ENGINES?

Pages: first 12 next last
Does anyone know of any and can provide screenshots/links, anything free that's not RPG Maker or like it.
You're going to have to be a little more specific. What kind of game do you want to make? Why are you averse to using RPG Maker?
author=dethmetal
You're going to have to be a little more specific. What kind of game do you want to make? Why are you averse to using RPG Maker?

Well, I'm looking to make a sort of unique game, not sure what category to put it in.Also, I want the resolution to be greater than what RPG Maker allows.So basically I'm looking for a flexible 2D game engine that's free.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Game Maker
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I understand Unity's a pretty good platform, though I haven't tinkered with it myself. (Was gonna, then found an engine that better fit my needs of "Please do most of the work for me.")
author=Sooz
I understand Unity's a pretty good platform, though I haven't tinkered with it myself. (Was gonna, then found an engine that better fit my needs of "Please do most of the work for me.")

What engine did you find?
author=Mirak
Game Maker

not this either, or construct
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=CYBERLOUS
author=dethmetal
Well, I'm looking to make a sort of unique game, not sure what category to put it in.Also, I want the resolution to be greater than what RPG Maker allows.So basically I'm looking for a flexible 2D game engine that's free.

Can't you change the resolution via scripting?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=CYBERLOUS
author=Sooz
What engine did you find?

Adventure Game Studio. It's almost definitely not what you're looking for, it just happens to fit all my needs.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I tried to get into AGS a long time ago. It certainly has a lot of potential and it's a bit fun to use it, but resource making is, as usual, a super drag.
Oh, yeah that's not what I'm looking for
Construct 2 is a powerful 2D (only) engine with a good amount of simplicity. I'm pretty sure you can use it for 100% free until you want to publish, in which case you need to buy a business license. :)
You could give Stencyl a try, I think it's free, and from what I saw of it it seems easy to use.
Sooz
author=Mirak
I tried to get into AGS a long time ago. It certainly has a lot of potential and it's a bit fun to use it, but resource making is, as usual, a super drag.

No way man, resource making is the only part of gam mak that I am super psyched about!
author=Merlandese
Construct 2is a powerful 2D (only) engine with a good amount of simplicity. I'm pretty sure you can use it for 100% free until you want to publish, in which case you need to buy a business license. :)

I thought that there was a limit of only 30 events or something like that.
author=CYBERLOUS
author=Merlandese
Construct 2is a powerful 2D (only) engine with a good amount of simplicity. I'm pretty sure you can use it for 100% free until you want to publish, in which case you need to buy a business license. :)

Oh, yeah, you may be right! 30 Events sheets is a big limit, but realistically you can program everything you need into a few sheets if you wanted to deal with the mess. You'll be linking most sheets together anyhow, depending on your setup, which would fundamentally be the same as building them all in the same sheet.

Right now my project is pretty robust and I'm only using twelve or so sheets, several of which could be combined easily (and maybe should be) if I wanted.
author=Merlandese
author=CYBERLOUS
author=Merlandese
Oh, yeah, you may be right! 30 Events sheets is a big limit, but realistically you can program everything you need into a few sheets if you wanted to deal with the mess. You'll be linking most sheets together anyhow, depending on your setup, which would fundamentally be the same as building them all in the same sheet.

Right now my project is pretty robust and I'm only using twelve or so sheets, several of which could be combined easily (and maybe should be) if I wanted.

I have a habit of making lots of maps already with RPG Maker(I'm already above 40 in my current project and it's still kinda the beginning) so that's an issue.
I'm talking about something like Overlap 2D.(Because I can't figure out to set up Overlap)
author=CYBERLOUS
author=Merlandese
author=CYBERLOUS
author=Merlandese

I have a habit of making lots of maps already with RPG Maker(I'm already above 40 in my current project and it's still kinda the beginning) so that's an issue.
I'm talking about something like Overlap 2D.(Because I can't figure out to set up Overlap)

Well, "maps" and Events Sheets are very different things in C2. I guess it's hard to understand the limitation if you aren't familiar with the engine. I barely understood it myself when I started since it's such a far departure from RMXP logic. But basically the "maps" and the "events" you use in RPG Maker happen on the same "map," while in C2 the "maps" and "events" happen in two different spaces. You can program events in a "sheet" just like you would write a script in RPG Maker, but still apply it to a bunch of maps.

Anyway, good luck on the search!
For all that is good and holy, don't use unity or other game engines of the like if you're going to make RPGs which are designed with normal RPG systems. I'm playing a Unity game that is an RPG and there are so many issues with the menu systems - it's clunky as all hell, for one, and it lags when trying to load choice menus for another.

Say what you will about RPG Maker, but at least all the systems are by default smooth and work.
author=Liberty
For all that is good and holy, don't use unity or other game engines of the like if you're going to make RPGs which are designed with normal RPG systems. I'm playing a Unity game that is an RPG and there are so many issues with the menu systems - it's clunky as all hell, for one, and it lags when trying to load choice menus for another.

Say what you will about RPG Maker, but at least all the systems are by default smooth and work.

I don't dislike Rpg Maker at all, in fact I'm using it for one of my projects.It's just that the way I envision the game I'm planning to make is in side view with a higher resolution than Rpg Maker is capable of(not talking about fullscreen because when I'm using Rpg Maker I'd prefer it to be normal sized.
Pages: first 12 next last