CATCHING UP THREAD

Pages: 1
Catching Up Thread

Well, I am sure there are times we all fall behind, become busy IRL, and thus lose contact with each other. Some of us have lives, and well they can be quite dramatic and other times we just get caught up in work~

So, let this be the one Thread where we can all share what events has happened to us IRL, whether just after a break or after a long day at work, unload that baggage here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me see... I just returned from Asia. I was working in Japan as a car salesman, but after I quit, I did not qualify for a working visa. So, without enough money to return to the states, I got a ticket to taiwan and spent the next 3 months as a illegal teacher. Finally, after a bad breakup, I became a homeless priest in Taipei, until the State let me borrow money to return to America last month. Currently recovering from malnutrition.

Ok, how about you guys? What has been going on in your lives for the past few months?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Well, I had to get a new car. I still think my truck would be fine, but oh well. It's just a little too small for me, but it's comfortable enough. I spent about 3k for it. It's a Chrysler Sebring. I wasn't specifically looking for a convertible, but the price was right and it runs great.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=facesforce
Let me see... I just returned from Asia. I was working in Japan as a car salesman, but after I quit, I did not qualify for a working visa. So, without enough money to return to the states, I got a ticket to taiwan and spent the next 3 months as a illegal teacher. Finally, after a bad breakup, I became a homeless priest in Taipei, until the State let me borrow money to return to America last month. Currently recovering from malnutrition.
...how did you end up living a life like this (minus the bad breakup) and where do I sign up?

As for me, I'm not gonna lie about what's been on my mind the most the last couple of months (although everyone on Slack probably knows by now):

-> Met a cool lady at a party a couple months ago. Asked her out, she said yes, but never thought of it as a date. OK, cool, whatever.
-> A week or so later, she wants to go on a day-trip to Dublin with me. Whoa, what luck! Of course I oblige.
-> In the weeks leading up to the trip we chat on Facebook every day (about even the most mundane stuff, like what we're doing that day) meet up pretty much every week, and she keeps lending me stuff like video games and comics. Sweet! Wait till I tell my friends about this!
-> I then learn she has serious baggage in the form of several exes and mental issues (part of the reason she's been unemployed for 2 years, btw). Hmm, maybe we can work through that?
-> At this point everyone I talk to about her thinks we're dating. Some couples outright laugh at me for suggesting that we're not.
-> As part of the above, one of my friends asks me what's going on between me and her, as he was interested in her too. Welp, friendship (thankfully almost and not quite) ruined.
-> We go to Dublin and its not really a romantic thing, but she's still really keen on hanging out with me afterwards. Still chatting every day and all that jazz.
-> We meet up every week UP UNTIL the point where I find out that she was dating someone else all along, and it wasn't even someone she liked very much. Also, she wanted to go to Dublin with me because she was having problems with an ex at the time.
-> The kicker: She broke up with this guy a couple days after talking to her to me (Maybe there's still a chance?!!) - but 10 days later she ends up dating someone else.

MFW:

For better or for worse, we're still friends, but I haven't met her in person in 2 weeks as I've been abroad/away from London, and tbh want to keep it that way for a while...although I am going to gig with her in a couple of weeks.

I don't have a problem with being friends with her as she had a load of issues anyway - but my trust in people really, really took a hit as a result from this. Why did everyone else think we were dating? Why was she okay with doing all this 1-on-1 stuff with me while she was dating other men, and complaining about them to me as well?

Worst of all: Am I EVER going to have any luck with relationships (hell, even STARTING one), or am I doomed to be one-of-those forever-alone types? Then again, most of my guy friends have been single forever themselves - why are we finding it so hard to get dates? Is it just how it is for straight men now?

....I'd rather just focus on RPG Maker tbh
@Pianotm: That's not a bad car. God knows it beats the tincan bug I'm driving right now. One look at the mannual dates it to the 1970s in a cinch.

@Yellowmagic: Ahaha, you don't even want to signup for my kind of luck. Getting into that situation was so dangerous it was unreal; I was planning on running to Hong Kong or Austrailia, when my insane ex threw me out of my apartment, during a typhoon. Then she got me fired, tried to call the taiwanese government on me and I just barely managed to become a missionary for the homeless in Taipei and avoided starving.

That being said, I can relate to the whole relationship deal. It's rough out there, and then you got to be careful not to deal with a crazy woman like my ex or the girl in your posts.
Yellow Magic
author=facesforce
@Yellowmagic: Ahaha, you don't even want to signup for my kind of luck. Getting into that situation was so dangerous it was unreal; I was planning on running to Hong Kong or Austrailia, when my insane ex threw me out of my apartment, during a typhoon. Then she got me fired, tried to call the taiwanese government on me and I just barely managed to become a missionary for the homeless in Taipei and avoided starving.
Honestly dude - minus the breakup and starving thing that sounds like a hell of a time...you should write a book about your experiences, anyway. You'd make mad bank.

author=facesforce
That being said, I can relate to the whole relationship deal. It's rough out there, and then you got to be careful not to deal with a crazy woman like my ex or the girl in your posts.
Yeah, I'd rather just be in a long-term relationship with jRPGs
I'm glad you got through it facesforce! That's some incredible survival. Rest up well, I hope this year is kind to you.

And yellow magic .. keep your chin up *huuuug*
We sometimes sabotage ourselves, sometimes we just have bad luck, but that can change any time. It's possible for you to find your dates or mates same as anyone else. The thing is tho, the moment we doubt our ability to do so .. it does drop easily.
So take your time to recover, as well as to recover trust in yourself - you deserve your happiness.

So anyhow, I don't really have any horrorstories. Is all pretty done and over with, the new stuff anyway. There's just that I'll already have to repeat the university semester by being absent too often.
Otherwise I'm doing greater than I ever did.
There's even a cute guy I'd like to get closer to. Just obviously this time of year is busy, so I hope his curiosity for me is still there, y'know. Hard to tell with the snaps of dialogue and no real responding possible.
... I should be more confident in myself. The interest was quite clear before.. sooo.. yeah. Let's just roll with that.
author=facesforce

Yeah - bad luck aside, that sounds like a pretty memorable life experience!

Coincidentally, I've been looking into teaching English abroad with a temporary work Visa... potentially (and hopefully) Japan or South Korea. I've looked into small studio apartments in Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Seoul, etc. There are so many hoops to jump through though. XD
@ym

why am i so glad to know the origin of your avatar and new user title lmfao
Yellow Magic
author=Kylaila
And yellow magic .. keep your chin up *huuuug*
We sometimes sabotage ourselves, sometimes we just have bad luck, but that can change any time. It's possible for you to find your dates or mates same as anyone else. The thing is tho, the moment we doubt our ability to do so .. it does drop easily.
So take your time to recover, as well as to recover trust in yourself - you deserve your happiness.

Thank you Kylaila! *hug* I'm trying my best not to be bitter about the whole thing, because she really was not a great person and is far better off as just a friend. And I most certainly trust myself, but...I don't think I'll be able to trust others 100% for a while now.

There's even a cute guy I'd like to get closer to. Just obviously this time of year is busy, so I hope his curiosity for me is still there, y'know. Hard to tell with the snaps of dialogue and no real responding possible.
... I should be more confident in myself. The interest was quite clear before.. sooo.. yeah. Let's just roll with that.

Why don't you ask him out? Actually, let me rephrase that: Please ask him out! This dating thing is hard enough for (straight) guys as it is.

author=Blindmind
Coincidentally, I've been looking into teaching English abroad with a temporary work Visa... potentially (and hopefully) Japan or South Korea. I've looked into small studio apartments in Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto, Seoul, etc. There are so many hoops to jump through though. XD

I'm guessing you've looked at the JET programme? It's pretty well known here in the UK, and apparently helps streamline the process of getting into Japan and working as a teacher for a year...I don't think you're guaranteed to get somewhere lively like Tokyo or Osaka though. I've seen videos of JET teachers in random villages, which is still probably a hell of an experience, but...well, you know.

author=ivoryjones
@ym

why am i so glad to know the origin of your avatar and new user title lmfao

Hahahaha, honestly, the avatar and user title aren't directly related, but I can see how you might think so.

But yeah, I thought you might get a kick out of this story. The PM I sent to you a week or two ago about juicy gossip from my end? This is what I wanted to chat to you about.
More *huuugs*. Aye, I hope you recover well. You're a great guy.

He's in a different part of Germany. Otherwise I'd have said TEA GET! Or something along the lines. So uhhh. Yeaah. Tricky. I do get a really friendly, open-minded and kind vibe from him (+ similar weaknesses, hah!), but either way, I'll strike up a chance to just chat for a while.
Girls gotta make moves too, even if it's indirect ones.

There's my classmates, but they were either boring or too closed-off. There is one friendly guy in my Japanese class tho .. I never got to talk to him. Wasn't as much behind it since I was still recovering and focused elsewhere, but I'm as ready as I can be, and would really like some nice experiences to weight up shit.
so .. either way .. thanks for the encouragement :) Gotta do something, right!
Yellow Magic
author=Kylaila
More *huuugs*. Aye, I hope you recover well. You're a great guy.

Aw, thanks again! *More more hugs*

He's in a different part of Germany. Otherwise I'd have said TEA GET! Or something along the lines. So uhhh. Yeaah. Tricky. I do get a really friendly, open-minded and kind vibe from him (+ similar weaknesses, hah!), but either way, I'll strike up a chance to just chat for a while.

Oh, I can see how that'd be a problem...how did you even meet this guy? It'd be a lot better if you made indirect moves too, ya know. ;p

There's my classmates, but they were either boring or too closed-off. There is one friendly guy in my Japanese class tho .. I never got to talk to him. Wasn't as much behind it since I was still recovering and focused elsewhere, but I'm as ready as I can be, and would really like some nice experiences to weight up shit.

Guess it could always be worth chatting with this guy too. No need to put all your eggs in one basket - I suppose I've learnt that that the hard way LMAO
You gotta love hugs :)

Well, you meet a lot of people along the way if you circle somewhere, play games and whatnot. At least the way I do it *chuckle*. Still, it's really rare for people to strike me as such a great fun person I'd like to inquire more about them despite that aspect.
The last relationship as well as attraction just sorta .. happened, so that difference alone is much more fun.

Aye, definitely. Semester's not starting yet, however, so there's still time. Just gotta invite 'em to join me when I go for some lunch during break (if he has break the same time .. eh, only one way to find out). Yosh, on the to-do-list. Bugger me about it two weeks from now if you'd be so kind *g*
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
@YM
That's... really rough. I'm sorry, man.
I often find myself thinking the same things, doubting whether I'll ever have success, since I apparently generate no interest at all, even though I know thinking like that isn't healthy. I hope you'll succeed in breaking from that thinking pattern.

Luckily not generating interest means I mostly don't even get into situations where I can get hurt that bad. There's a bright side to everything, I guess.

author=Kylaila
For his sake, be direct.
Given not catching people at all makes any move difficult orz .. ugh. frustrating.
Aye.
Aw, I'm sorry that happened, YM! That sounds like a mess...

Being direct usually makes things easier, after being direct! Mustering the courage to do anything other than drop hints can be difficult. N-not that I know much about that!

My break from school is ending which sucks. Throughout break I didn't go to a single swim practice for one reason or another. Not really looking forward to any of the repercussions of this.

My 'love life' is stagnant as always, but that's fine with me since I have other things to worry about!
Yellow Magic
author=Kylaila
Yosh, on the to-do-list. Bugger me about it two weeks from now if you'd be so kind *g*

LOL I'll mark it on my Google Calendar.

author=Jeroen_Sol
@YM
That's... really rough. I'm sorry, man.
I often find myself thinking the same things, doubting whether I'll ever have success, since I apparently generate no interest at all, even though I know thinking like that isn't healthy. I hope you'll succeed in breaking from that thinking pattern.

Luckily not generating interest means I mostly don't even get into situations where I can get hurt that bad. There's a bright side to everything, I guess.

It's cool, Jeroen. And yes that is actually quite the bright-side when you think about it - it's one less thing to worry about, and since I'm at a pretty crucial time career-wise, I appreciate that. Your mileage may vary, though...but don't give up hope. Be like John Cena!

author=Gourd_Clae
Aw, I'm sorry that happened, YM! That sounds like a mess...

It's fine Gourdy, you will always be (one of) my true love(s).
@ym> That sounds real tough man. Maybe you need to be a *bit* more forward? I have no idea how these sort of things work though, so...

@kylaila> go! (>u<)b
And repeating what jeroen said, be direct. Guys are... generally oblivious to these stuff unless it's right in front of them. And I can attest to that.

@gourd> you're not alone at that (=_=)b

Here goes:
* I flunked all my courses last sem. Okay, I *did* pass one major, but...
Thanks to that, I'll be delayed by one bloody year. Ah well.

* My holiday "break" is only three weeks long. And I was sick for two of them (still am, actually, but much better than I was last week). Ah well.

* Karin (yes she's an actual person) and I got a bit more distant now. I thought it'll all be fine, that nothing'll change. I was wrong apparently. Even though she was pretty much how she was the last time we talked properly (a year ago), I could feel... some sort of wall between us. It suddenly became real difficult to approach her. And from tge looks of things, this'll only get worse. Ah well.

* When I got home, Dec 18, our house was flooded. A shout out to typhoon, who did an excellent job at soaking my belongings. Ah well.

* I got hit by a car this morning. Had to beg the driver to not make me pay for his dented bumper (I kinda was at the fault). Ah well.

* In other news, my friends trust me far more now than they used to, after that drinking incident last weekend. Long (puke-covered) story short, I simply happened to be the least drunk one in the group; made sure every one made it through the night alive. I mean, one of em tried to jump off the third floor. And another lied down on the highway. I'm not exactly looking forward to a sequel of that.
@karins_soulkeeper: That sounds...really freaking rough. Especially the 'getting hit by a car' part! Even if that was partly your fault, that guy should have helped you first things of all! Not demand money from you like, immediately.

Here goes:

Well, I was away for a long, long time. And while I decided to become better at drawing (which was a success, btw, but is still, of course, a long-term project in itself) everything else kind of fell behind somewhat. As in, it really fell behind.

I managed to finish school last year with good grades, but due to a lot of personal problems and a ton of bad luck couldn't find a job education, which means that I spent the entirety of last year doing nothing at home - because small jobs weren't available/a possibility, either.

My mom had to undergo surgery, my grandmother got worse and worse each passing week and now resides in a home for old people and my dog (who was with me for my entire childhood, I grew up with the beautiful little lady) died. This happened within the timespan of, like, two weeks, btw.

Then I couldn't get a small job because my mom had to recover from her surgery, which went well, but made me entirely paralysed for the rest of the year as well.

Now I'm sitting here, happy that this crappy year is over and excited for three things: The possibility of actually getting a small job for a few months, the chance of getting a job education in Media Design if I'm lucky and the fact that we will get two kittens in less than two weeks.

Let's hope this year will be better than the last few.
*chuckle* no directer approach needed than what I was doing already. Mutual interest piqued and shared. All just so much fun, hehe.
Still, the invite's a fun thing to do. On more friendy terms, then.
Pages: 1