WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT TEXT PAUSES IN GAME DIALOG?

Pages: first prev 123 last
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
How you see text: "If we can't make it out in time... well, there's really not much to say."
How your player reads it: "If we can't make it out in time... well, there's really not much to say."

Kind of scary, right? Keep that in mind when writing dialogue. Although now I have to ask; what's worse: ellipses or parentheses/asterisks around an implied motion such as breathing or looking around?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
I used to do this a lot until people complained about it.

It makes sense. Let people read at their own pace...
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
And that is why I restricted my dialogues into 2 sentences and the player will have the next dialogue at the next sentence block.
author=Sated
When I have pauses, I allow the player to skip them at their leisure. The \! command is infinitely better than the \| command.

Sore Losers uses far too many forced pauses. It's one of the first things I'd correct if I were to release a patch for that game all these years later. I think it's a pretty rookie mistake to assume that the player wants to read everything at the same pace you think they should.

I used to have this \! but people hated it. So I opted for \. personally.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Feldschlacht IV
Xenogears is an infamous one, yeah.

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by the text speed in that game, though? I know that its slower than most, but eh? I guess I'm weird!

I definitely noticed it. But I enjoyed the game enough that it didn't mind it too much.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
Now we all know why Yanfly added a text speed option on his System Options Script or something(?)
It gets annoying if it's used too much or in dialogue that doesn't really matter. It's OK if it's only in important dialogue scenes.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Corfaisus
Kind of scary, right? Keep that in mind when writing dialogue. Although now I have to ask; what's worse: ellipses or parentheses/asterisks around an implied motion such as breathing or looking around?

Depends on how difficult it is to show the implied motion. Looking around is easy enough, but something like breathing is fine to describe, and I'd rather it be distinguished from dialog somehow. (Though personally I prefer if people can show it rather than telling it because I'm a real stickler for that.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Sometimes it's just a bug that causes the text pausing though. The developer might not have done very thorough bug-testing because they had...

Whenever I added text pauses in my RPG I noticed they are really disruptive. Like I'd hit the space bar but I realized it wasn't done yet and had to hit space again afterwards. It was my own game yet even I found it obxnoxious so I worried that other people would too. At first I concluded that I should use text pauses much less often, but lately I wondered that it might be ideal simply to never use them at all and simply use multiple text boxes instead. (After all you'd be doing so anyway, so it would be more consistent)
I spent the past week removing text pauses from my game after reading this topic.
Thank you! It helps, always
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I just took my swapsies game down, replaced all the \! with \., and two with \| for more emphasis, then reuploaded it.
Pages: first prev 123 last