WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Pages: 1
So first off, let me state that I am 11 and already have RPG Maker VX Ace. Anyway to the topic, There are a few features I need with RPG Maker MV (Mainly the uncomplicated sideview battle system that instantly makes all the monsters sideview as well, and the characters faces being turned a little bit instead of straight on, I think it looks much better and overall more professional. And I can't do that myself, I use Paint.net and suck at painting, I also only ever really make money on holidays and no allowance, I live in a place where in the winter nobody is around. So I can't shovel snow for anyone, and when we do start making allowance, In like a month or two. It will take another 2-4 months to save up for the $80 it takes to get the damn thing, depending on if i get $5 or $10 for allowance, I also already used all my birthday money on a $230 balisong(butterfly knife) trainer. So, what should I do? I don't want to have to wait 6-8 months to start working on my game, I make no allowance, cant do chores for neighbors, used all my bday money, if I want to get the program i have to wait 6-8 months, and want to start working right away.
I can't make the art for the faces myself since that right there would take months to learn, and want an uncomplicated sideview battle system where the monsters are instantly switched as well. I am not saying I want everything handed to me, cause I understand that it's gonna take some work, but i need those from the start. What should I do?

EDIT: Lol i'm actually 12 I just turned twelve jan 18th I am so used to saying that I am 11 :P
unity
You're magical to me.
When I first started, I did everything with what the system already comes with, using all RTP and such. It didn't look the best ever, but I learned a lot. In the next game, I started adding a few custom things like art and such. Eventually I was able to do a lot of the game on my own, but it took a long time.

I think that you should do a project just for fun, like I did, using the basic resources. You can tell a story, have battles, and make it a fun experience, without having to wait for all the money/drawing ability. And then when you finally are able to make the big game with the features and custom assets, you'll have learned from making that first game and will use that to make the game even better! ^_^
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Gonna echo what Unity said.

Before I became a nitpicky, overly-ambitious grump, I took a look at what the RTP had to offer and just made a game out of it.

I certainly didn't care whether it was good or not (not that I knew any better), but I still had fun making and finishing something. That's what should count.

For your case, remember that sometimes, you need to accept your current limitations and try to build something around it and/or ditch ideas that are beyond your reach to implement. Game making, like any creative medium, is one that's overcome by problem-solving, and sometimes the solution is "welp! I can't do that, so I'm not gonna!"

EDIT: Keep in mind, the more games you make, the more you'll learn about the mechanics of your engine and your next games will gradually become a bit more complex. While I ended up cancelling it, The Secret of Ludia was a project of mine where I just started to try out as many things as I could do with RPG Maker as possible, that lead up to Tina of the Stars, which is actually one of my most advanced games made with the engine as of yet. I don't think I would have made it the way it is now if I didn't have other projects beforehand to gain experience from.
author=unity
When I first started, I did everything with what the system already comes with, using all RTP and such. It didn't look the best ever, but I learned a lot. In the next game, I started adding a few custom things like art and such. Eventually I was able to do a lot of the game on my own, but it took a long time.

I think that you should do a project just for fun, like I did, using the basic resources. You can tell a story, have battles, and make it a fun experience, without having to wait for all the money/drawing ability. And then when you finally are able to make the big game with the features and custom assets, you'll have learned from making that first game and will use that to make the game even better! ^_^

I like your take on it, I will say that I am using the program for fun. But those features are just a few I would like for my first game in general, They would make it a little more fun imo. But I do understand what your saying, I do know how to use the engine pretty well so that won't be a problem, but I do get what your saying, oh... I also have a problem with procrastination. But... Who doesn't?
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I'm gonna start off with this. MV right now isn't an amazing step up from VX Ace if you're not willing to do your own scripts and what not even with all the great work from Yanfly and crew.

As unity said start with what your given cause it will definitely help you get better at RPG Maker then trying to focus on assets and since you already have VX Ace there is an script to convert your project into MV when you do get it and you'd like to continue working on it then.

From what I understand looking at your post as well you're yet to be exposed to the sheer amount of scripts out there for VX Ace and what they can do so I'd suggest by just looking at all the stuff that Yanfly has! https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/
author=charblar
I'm gonna start off with this. MV right now isn't an amazing step up from VX Ace if you're not willing to do your own scripts and what not even with all the great work from Yanfly and crew.

As unity said start with what your given cause it will definitely help you get better at RPG Maker then trying to focus on assets and since you already have VX Ace there is an script to convert your project into MV when you do get it and you'd like to continue working on it then.

From what I understand looking at your post as well you're yet to be exposed to the sheer amount of scripts out there for VX Ace and what they can do so I'd suggest by just looking at all the stuff that Yanfly has! https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/

I have seen several of his(or her idk.) work, and I have to say, it's really impressive. But i definitely haven't seen even 10% of the scripts out there for ace.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Creativity comes from learning to work within the limitations you have.
author=Sooz

True
I wish all 11 year olds were as industrious as you.

(/me thinks of neighbour's teenager who complains about dad not shoveling the driveway in time for him to take his car out)
Honestly, you should stick to Rpg Maker VX ace for as long as you can it has plenty of scripts and support from the community, and to reiterate what Unity said, use the RTP if you really have to, that's what its there for. It will help you improve with your Rpg Maker skills! Trust me, I made countless projects with the rtp on vx back in 2008. And had so much fun, that I really didn't care. Hell even nowadays, I still use the rtp in most projects I work on.
As everyone has said Ace is probably the best to stick with. From what I've heard of MV most of it can just be done with scripts. Like charblar said Yanfly has some great scripts. You could try the first-person view for your rpg, it really isn't all that bad, usually.
You need to follow the success path before you start making.
author=Sooz

piracy!

(use what you already have, vx ace)
I think the most important thing is that you chose to spend over 200$ on a knife when I'm sure you could have gotten a cheaper one. Where are you priorities? Cutting stuff(or likely just whipping it around) or making games? I recommend making better choices with the money you have.
oops, wrong tab >.<

Uh... MAKE GAM!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Link_2112
I think the most important thing is that you chose to spend over 200$ on a knife when I'm sure you could have gotten a cheaper one. Where are you priorities? Cutting stuff(or likely just whipping it around) or making games? I recommend making better choices with the money you have.

In fairness, it's probably a really baller knife.
why does a 12yo need a butterfly knife? shouldn't he have at least a handgun by now?
Sooz
Same reason God needs a spaceship.
Pages: 1