ARTICLES ON GAME DESIGN

Pages: 1
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I’m doing an argumentative essay for English and I know the topic will be something about game design. I’d like some help finding articles on game design if you all would be so kind. In addition to these articles I’ll need at least one interview and a video to add to my research. Is Extra Credits a credible source (I assume yes considering it’s written by game designers)? I’m also thinking about interviewing some of you on the topic, though I think the most reliable(in the sense of undeniable credibility.) source of you all would be Red Nova, Unity, and/or Sooz because of Remnants of Isolation, anybody else I should think about?

Thanks for reading!
How about brickroad's articles? They're available here on rmn: http://rpgmaker.net/users/The%20Real%20Brickroad/articles/

As for the interview, someone old who's been in the gam mak biz for a long time would also qualify. Say: Nessy, or Kentona, among many others.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I've got a couple: http://rpgmaker.net/users/Corfaisus/articles/

I've also got a lifetime of passion with gaming, and having spent time developing them as well has given me some insight into why certain things work.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
You might also want to look at this thread:

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/9209/

Extra Credits is definitely credible, but I'm not sure how you would cite them properly considering it's a video series.
Seiromem
author=Ratty524
You might also want to look at this thread:

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/9209/

Extra Credits is definitely credible, but I'm not sure how you would cite them properly considering it's a video series.

Oooh, that thread will be perfect! Thanks!

Also, having a video as research is a requirement of the essay, so there has to be an easy way.

I'll look online for citing videos, thanks.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you're using APA citation, Extra Credits or any similar Youtube video would be referenced the same way as a TED talk: http://blog.ted.com/how-do-i-cite-a-tedtalk/

The people on Extra Credits are actually experts, unlike most people making videos and articles online. Most of us are amateurs, but depending on what point you're trying to prove, that might be exactly what you need (for example if the paper talks specifically about amateur game design). If you want someone who's not an amateur, especially to talk about something other than how to make a good game, I would say to maybe talk to Kentona, Cherry, Archaea Nessiah, Liberty, or WolfCoder, depending on what exactly your paper is about. (What exactly is your paper about?)
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
P. sure anyone of Team Isolation would be happy to interview for you. :)

As for design stuff, a topic would probably help narrow things down a bit.

Game Maker's Toolkit is one of my favorite game design channels; EC is good, but it tends to be a bit too 101 and general after a while.
The others have given you some pretty good links, so I'll just say - figure out what stance you're taking in your essay and work from there. Frame it as an argument and give reasons for why you're right about what you're arguing. If you need to talk to any of us, feel free to just ask - but know what you need to ask first. A list of questions will never go awry.

If you want a more commercial-side, dealing with companies and assets (and commercial games), I'd recommend Caz or Nessy.

If you want a more hobbyist side, most of the oldbies are probably free to talk to (bar kentona who is currently holidaying).

If it's more about engines and the making of, Nessy or Wolfcoder would be good.

In fact, for most things Nessy would be a good fit - she's worked on translating the engines (which means digging into them), she's helped with fixing and developing the engines, has her own commercial game endeavours as well as non-commercial ones, has been around since at least GW, works for Degica and has a hand in the support of at least two of the engines. She's also done a bunch of asset work, is a mod on RMW (so has that experience) and actually has a proper paying job in said industry (unlike most of us). The only problem might be getting a hold of her since she's pretty busy, but if you ask she might be free for some questions.

Oh, this might be useful, too: http://rpgmaker.net/portal/development/highlights/
It's basically all the good/decent game design tutorials on the site.
Seiromem
Alright, I'd gotten exactly what I'd hoped out of this thread and then some! Knew I could count on you guys.

Previous Idea
The topic of my essay I have initially decided to be is Innovation VS. Invention, and which leads to a superior game.
In this sense, innovation refers to revisions, additions, and other improvements that come with sequels or games inspired by others, like many of RPGmaker games are inspired by Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or Suikoden etc.
Invention is the complete reworking, redesigning, and other synonyms for recreation of a particular game concept(s).
An example of Innovation: Mass Effect ---> Mass Effect 2
Expansion of allies and characters, expansion of choice & impact, expansion of abilities and leveling up, and otherwise all around improvement of the original.
Invention: Underdale: Taking of RPG elements, such as leveling up, and mixing with bullet hell elements. Unique interaction of characters through the "SAVE" theme.
Note that I don't mean creation of new genres or things like that, like with Undertale; it didn't create the type of story it tells, or it's method of storytelling, it simply mixed styles and mechanics together to create something unique.
With comparisons like these, I plan to use videos and interviews to provide opinions on whether Innovation or invention leads to a better game. Then I'd be giving my arguement. Hopefully I get more examples of invention, I thought of Undertale spontaneously and can't think of anything else right now.
Is this topic sound, or would it go on for too long? This essay isn't for college, it's for high school, but it is a stepping stone towards college essays I might have to do.

Too much content, to wide, too general.
Need to narrow.
Pages: 1