:THE GAME MAKING DRIVE/BLOG TOPIC

Here we go. This is the topic where you post your daily progress as outlined here.

Repost!

What This Is: If you're reading this, you're probably, most likely are making a game. We all read articles on game design, discuss game design, post our screenshots, and so on. However, the big issue with all of us is how much time we are working on our games and how much we get done in a certain time. A lot of us don't get as much done in our games as we like, and we end up chipping away at our games, sure, we get stuff over time, but a lot of the time, it may not be substantial, and it doesn't add up to quite enough.

Of course this sentiment is proven quite nicely if you look around as Release Something closes in, a lot of people including myself are scrambling around trying to put our games together. Well, maybe we can do something about that. What if there was a way for us to band together to give inspiration and support for the sake of a common issue and work together towards it?

How It Works: What I need you guys to do think of a time every day where you get at least a half hour to work on your game. It can be more of course. I can be flexible. I'd like it to be around the same time every day. If this is utterly impossible, try to spring for something at least consistent, like every Tuesday and Thursday or something like that. A schedule, if you will. Hell, you can even have weekends not count.

Now, every day (or whenever you assign yourself) on that time, get something done on your game and post about what you accomplished. Now, it has to be somewhat substantial, it can't something like "9:00-9:30, I imported a backdrop". I'll use discretion for what's substantial and what's bullcrap. I'm going to make a signup sheet for this purpose, and I'll go first.

Got it? If not, feel free to ask me to clarify. Keep in mind, this is an ongoing thing, and of course, feel free to post if you want to change your daily time. Of course more people are free to join, just post your time!

1. Feldschlacht IV 10:00 PM Weekdays
2. dragonheartman 12:00 PM Tuesday-Thursdays
3. kentona End of day-Workdays
4. YDS 7:00 AM
5. silver4donuts Uh
6. RoseSkye 9:00-9:30 AM
7. Little Wing Guy 8:00PM Mon-Wed-Fri
8. Rei- 7:00 PM Mon-Wed-Fri
9. Archeia_Nessiah 7:00-8:00 AM Sat
10. VideoWizard 10:00 11:00 AM Weekdays
11. Euphorian 11:00 PM Weeknights
12. dethmetal 6-7 PM on Wednesdays, 4-5 PM on Thursdays
13. Quiversee 6PM-7:30PM Anyday
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I did today
I did some serious planning for the pacing in my game. For a long while I had the problem of 'where do we go next'? I knew what I wanted to do and where the storyline had to go, I was just unsure of how the GAME would actually follow it. Well, I've got that pretty much figured out, and all I have to do is make the maps. Here's a little of what I've been cooking up.

THIS IS THE FIRST POST, BUT ALSO LET THIS BE YOUR EXAMPLE. THIS IS ABOUT HOW LONG YOUR DAILY ENTRY SHOULD BE, AT LEAST MORE THAN A SENTENCE OR TWO
what I did today, I spend 8:30 - 5 pm working on sprites, power ups, etc. Still not yet done but if I finish all of them tomorrow I'll have a complete GAme?!!?!?!?!?!

P.s engine done, there's more sprites but of course I won't post them all here XD

This project is almost brand spanking new, I started out practicing with REFMAP graphics a while ago and it sort of continued from there. I haven't done anything except about 4 maps and the storyline. But I'm serious about it because I want to show people what I can do. (I want to do a team project/ help out people with their games you see, and this will be sort of a advertisement game.) I thought that actually giving someone something solid to play rather than "Here are screenshots, I'm awesome" is a better way of getting myself out there and getting people interested. I just thought I'd explain what I'm aiming for, just so you know.

Hopefully as I continue to update you'll see my project taking shape.

I came up with this idea that you draw skills from equipment after having worn them for long enough (not exactly revolutionary I know >_> But simple yet effective). I started building upon and it and it's still very early days. Basically you equip two different types of Armlets to each character, Armlet 1 gives you new commands, out of battle bonuses etc, while Armlet 2 gives you new Skills and Magic. I'm still coming up with more Armlet ideas and ways to expand upon it!

I also had the idea that each character has a elemental preference, so one character can draw fire magic faster than someone else. Basically what I did yesterday night (Not all yesterday but a lot) was write up characters elemental preference then make common events and monster events accordingly. Took a while! I'm also going to make a picture menu with each characters elemental chart and Armlet Statuses.

I wonder how today can possibly compare to this.

In the last 24 hours I:
Released a demo for Release Something. Added monster events to Swamp of Disappointment, West Lakel & East Lakel.
Added story events to West Lakel, Lakel Cave Entrance and Beekeeper's Cabin.
Added monster groups for Slime, Angered Slime, Batty & Mad Batty to database.
Added items for Healing Leaf, Healing Herb, Healing Salve, Healing Elixir (and Magical equivalents).
Sept 23, 2008

Captain's Log - Stardate 23092008.01

Hellion:
  • Increased starting Skill Points from 1 to 5
  • Toned down the difficulty and power of Floor 1 monsters
  • Provided a bonus of 400 EXP to the hero at start (to speed up achieving lvl 2)

Captain's Log - Stardate 23092008.02

Hellion:
  • Play tested Hellion floor 1
  • Added system that changes the systemset to an orange color when damage is < 25% (just like Dragon Warrior!)

-- Since I work sporadically during the day, I will update this post as the day warrants --

Total Time Spent Today (so far): 24 mins
Then there are some of us that get excessive amounts of work done only to realize that no one actually cares :-) I am speaking from experience.
Then join up and post your progress in this topic! I for one have read and plan to read every entry by anyone/everyone!
This is a neat idea, but not for everyone. Some people work better spontaneously, and have the occasional "who gives a shit" block.
I'd sign up but I don't have a time. I just go on RM anytime I want. I'd want to sign up though :(
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Today I did a bit of finishing up work on an optional town that will hopefully have an abundance of neat little quests and fun. I've been doing a lot of swapping between dungeon creation for the next release and bugfixing for the existing release. Lastly, I'm currently testing another optional boss.
author=dragonheartman link=topic=2027.msg33578#msg33578 date=1222213383
Today I did a bit of finishing up work on an optional town that will hopefully have an abundance of neat little quests and fun. I've been doing a lot of swapping between dungeon creation for the next release and bugfixing for the existing release. Lastly, I'm currently testing another optional boss.
I have been working on a new game too. But the point is that I'm not allowed to send in my progress because I don't have a time. :(
Is it possible, Feld, that I can send in my progress without having a time?
That defeats the entire purpose of the topic, man.
Yeah, you could just do that on your game blog, terabyte.
Today's update:

I didn't like the way one of my towns, Argos looked. It just looked unnatural and too boxy, so I changed it. What I did was split the town in smaller chunks, so I could give it individual attention, and eventually put it back together. It's working so far, even though I'm not done. I also started writing some script for the next segment of my game, something I've been having a lot of trouble with due to writers block.

Today, I did my first tileset and I'm particularly bad at it but whatever. I finished marina's sprite as well. So yey.
I fixed monster movement events. Actually, no, they're not fixed anymore (fixed as in stuck in the same place). They're either Random, Approach, or Custom Path.
Also imported some town events from the older RMXP version.
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=2027.msg33642#msg33642 date=1222234597
Today's update:

I didn't like the way one of my towns, Argos looked.

Hehe, made me chuckle... I'm so sad.
Sept 24, 2008

Captain's Log - Stardate 24092008.1

Hellion:

Hero's Realm:
  • Finished mapping the Four Towers quest

-- Since I work sporadically during the day, I will update this post as the day warrants --

Total Time Spent Today (so far): 7 mins
I did quite a lot today. I opened up the maker and 2 minutes later closed it again. :P

Total Time Spent Today (so far): 2 mins
author=demondestiny link=topic=2027.msg33783#msg33783 date=1222294793
I did quite a lot today. I opened up the maker and 2 minutes later closed it again. :P

Total Time Spent Today (so far): 2 mins

Seems so familar...wait, does this mean your working on something new? :o

I also want to drop Wednesdays.