obj.load_skill_notetags
      end
    end
    puts 'ks_skill_level_up notetagreadproc'
  end
end
class RPG::Skill < RPG::UsableItem
  def load_skill_notetags
    #uses, skillID, replace? <= order of info (irrelevant)
    @lvlup_deets = [0, 0, 0]
    @note.split(/[\r\n]+/).each do |line|
      case line
      #<skill_levelup: 74, 1, 0> <= target string to match
      when '/<skill_levelup:(\s*(\d+)),\1,\1>/' #<= regex that's not working at all
        @lvlup_deets = [$1.to_i, $2.to_i, $3.to_i]
        puts "[#{@lvlup_deets[0]}, #{@lvlup_deets[1]}, #{@lvlup_deets[2]}]"
      end
    end
  end
end

Help me...

The above code supposedly scans the note boxes of all skills for matches, in order to retrieve 3 integers (stored in an array when a match is found). Easy enough, except that it isn't. I dumped the 'puts' line just to see if it's even matching, and found out that it doesn't. It's no exaggeration to say that I suck at regex :(

Can anyone please tell me what it is I'm getting wrong? This has been driving me nuts for hours...

I doubt it matters, but it's for a skill level-up script for VXA. Also, the above code is based off of yanfly's method.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What's an example of one of the noteboxes that it's supposed to match?
It's up there. Something like: '<skill_levelup: 74, 1, 0>'
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Try this:

class << self
    alias datamanager_orig_load_database load_database
  end
  def self.load_database
    datamanager_orig_load_database
    load_skill_notetags
  end  
  def self.load_skill_notetags
    groups = [$data_skills]
    for group in groups
      for obj in group
        next if obj.nil?
        obj.load_skill_notetags
      end
    end
    puts 'ks_skill_level_up notetagreadproc'
  end
end
class RPG::Skill < RPG::UsableItem
  def load_skill_notetags
    #uses, skillID, replace? <= order of info (irrelevant)
    @lvlup_deets = [0, 0, 0]
    @note.split(/[\r\n]+/).each do |line|
      case line
      if match = line.match(/\<skill_levelup:[ ]*(\d+)\,[ ]*(\d+)\,[ ]*(\d+)\>/)
        @lvlup_deets = match.captures
        puts "[#{@lvlup_deets[0]}, #{@lvlup_deets[1]}, #{@lvlup_deets[2]}]"
      end
    end
  end
end

I didn't even look at the rest of the code, so hopefully the only problem was your critical failure with regex. I adjusted the way the code was written slightly because I know this way works and I wasn't convinced the other way was working. If you'd rather go back to the way you had it, you can use use the regex
/\<skill_levelup:[ ]*(\d+)\,[ ]*(\d+)\,[ ]*(\d+)\>/

The [ ]* means "0 or more spaces", and the (\d+) means "1 or more digits, which we should store in a variable". I also backslashed the commas and angle brackets. I also got rid of the quote marks around the regex, because regexes aren't strings, and you're not supposed to surround them with quotes.
Yes! It works now.

I had to redo the top part because I, for some reason, thought it'd be nice to dump an array in an array then use a double for-loop to get the elements, but otherwise all is fine. The quotes around regex is a bad habit I carried over from java...

Thanks LockeZ!
Pages: 1