SCIENTISTS HAVE THE ABILITY TO 'REPLACE' MEMORIES.

Pages: first 1234 next last
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-figured-out-how-to-to-erase-your-painful-memories

As far as I know, To The Moon is already predicting our future... and it is getting weird af. Still, having the power to do this thing is pretty good (for singles) and pretty bad (hey, you want to forget your achievements?). Thoughts?
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2015/02/11/yanss-043-the-science-of-misremembering-with-daniel-simons-and-julia-shaw/

It's interesting how much of what we think we know we really don't and the brain is really fascinating.

And all that stuff.
Vaccaria
I, for one, think that the human brain is the real mystery we're dealing with atm.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah I was gonna say, we already have the ability to alter our memories, and do it on the regular, because the brain is really shitty at properly interpreting reality.

Which is why anyone claims that they're 100% logical and rational they are only fooling themself.
Vaccaria
Too bad... I forgot to add the negativity bias... right? Right?

author=Sooz
Yeah I was gonna say, we already have the ability to alter our memories, and do it on the regular, because the brain is really shitty at properly interpreting reality.

Which is why anyone claims that they're 100% logical and rational they are only fooling themself.

There are times, but this one's just artificially. Still, I hate it when your brain alters memories so you would get a wrong answer in a quiz.
I've heard we're almost nearing the point where we can "download" and "upload" data from the brain. So a billionaire who wants to live forever could download everything out of his 80 year old body and insert it into a 20 year old's. Scary stuff. A Brave New World awaits us.

Unless Monsanto fucks up a recipe and ushers in the zombie holocaust.
author=Dyhalto
I've heard we're almost nearing the point where we can "download" and "upload" data from the brain. So a billionaire who wants to live forever could download everything out of his 80 year old body and insert it into a 20 year old's. Scary stuff. A Brave New World awaits us.

Unless Monsanto fucks up a recipe and ushers in the zombie holocaust.

Will it really be you that goes into that new body though? Or just another person with the exact same memories? I would say it's the latter. That's also why I would never use a teleporter if they invent one. Ever.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
This is only new to public knowledge. The CIA has been using techniques like this since the Cold War.
"Using"? I don't know about that. Usually what DARPA's up to finds it's way into science fiction, and there's been very little direct brain/memory modification besides, maybe, truth serums and actual cloning (which is different). Unless I'm missing out on a few books & movies.
But I'm sure they're twenty or thirty years ahead of what we plebs are aware of. That'll always be true.

author=SnowOwl
Will it really be you that goes into that new body though? Or just another person with the exact same memories? I would say it's the latter.

Maybe, but the personality is defined by experiences for the most part. If the same memories are transferred into a new body, the new host should mostly be the same. I say mostly because of whatever residual data is left in the new body's DNA. Kind of like those movies where a regular guy transplants the arm or hand of a serial killer, then goes on a killing spree because of it.

I wonder what would happen if you transferred the mind of a fat, lazy gammak bastard into an olympian physique. How would muscle memory, reflexes, appetite, etc react?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Dyhalto
"Using"? I don't know about that. Usually what DARPA's up to finds it's way into science fiction, and there's been very little direct brain/memory modification besides, maybe, truth serums and actual cloning (which is different). Unless I'm missing out on a few books & movies.
But I'm sure they're twenty or thirty years ahead of what we plebs are aware of. That'll always be true.

author=SnowOwl
Will it really be you that goes into that new body though? Or just another person with the exact same memories? I would say it's the latter.

Maybe, but the personality is defined by experiences for the most part. If the same memories are transferred into a new body, the new host should mostly be the same. I say mostly because of whatever residual data is left in the new body's DNA. Kind of like those movies where a regular guy transplants the arm or hand of a serial killer, then goes on a killing spree because of it.

I wonder what would happen if you transferred the mind of a fat, lazy gammak bastard into an olympian physique. How would muscle memory, reflexes, appetite, etc react?

Y'all have kind of a weird idea of how the mind works.
author=Dyhalto
author=SnowOwl
I think the key word here is "transfer". It doesn't matter if the new person is an exact copy. It still won't be you. Lets say your original doesn't die and keeps the memories. That would be you, but the new copy would not be you, even if it would think and act in exactly the same way you do, and have the same memories.

If you "transfer" and remove the memories from the original, you would pretty much be commiting suicide.
If your computer is old and obsolete, and you transfer your RM project to a brand new machine, doesn't that mean your project is just continuing as was? The machine which hosted it died, but it itself is still completely intact.
The brain should function in a similar way. It works on electrical activity, although it's a bio-electrical machine, not a mechanical-electrical one. The bio part is where things get dicey, as we're still figuring out how it works.

author=Sooz
Y'all have kind of a weird idea of how the mind works.

Oh, you!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dyhalto
If your computer is old and obsolete, and you transfer your RM project to a brand new machine, doesn't that mean your project is just continuing as was? The machine which hosted it died, but it itself is still completely intact.
The brain should function in a similar way. It works on electrical activity, although it's a bio-electrical machine, not a mechanical-electrical one. The bio part is where things get dicey, as we're still figuring out how it works.

This.

It's always been believed that the mind is stored within neurochemical electrical impulses in the brain. I don't see how transferring that information onto another medium would mean death for anything except the body. In fact, I can see this being used in space travel, where astronauts are essentially kept in storage within data file, and upon arrival, installed on clone bodies, or cybernetic bodies, or androids.
Sooz
author=pianotm
Dyhalto
This.

It's always been believed that the mind is stored within neurochemical electrical impulses in the brain. I don't see how transferring that information onto another medium would mean death for anything except the body. In fact, I can see this being used in space travel, where astronauts are essentially kept in storage within data file, and upon arrival, installed on clone bodies, or cybernetic bodies, or androids.

You kids need to play Soma, if you haven't.
Does this mean we're nearing the day when instead of going to lengthy classes, we can just download the knowledge directly into our brains?

Because that would be a godsend right now.

That and I don't really have any memories I'd like deleted. All the painful stuff I've either dealt with and grown stronger from, or I've ALREADY repressed them to the point of their outright annihilation.
It's interesting science, but I can't help but feel that even in the cases they mentioned it's not entirely useful. Just "deleting" troubles from people's minds is pretty disgusting and seems like a humongously unhealthy way to treat issues like anxiety/depression/PTSD and the like.

Not only that, but it sets a bad precedent to be abused by governments and corporations.
Sooz
Well, if you look at what the actual researchers are saying, it's mostly using chemistry plus exposure therapy to reduce the impact of extremely traumatic memories and lessen the effect of phobias, rather than completely excising specific memories, but "HOLY SHIT SCIENCE CAN ERASE YOUR MEMORIES!!!" gets more clicks.

Protip: Science reporting exggerates or just plain misrepresents actual science 99% of the time.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Isn't this like Eternal Sunshine on a Spotless Mind?

I also think this can be a very good thing for a lot of terrible mental disorders for things like PTSD.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
InfectionFiles
I also think this can be a very good thing for a lot of terrible mental disorders for things like PTSD.

Actually, I'm going to agree with Pizza on this one. I'm excited about the technological possibilities; the aforementioned low-cost space travel, the preservation of brilliant minds such as Stephen Hawking, Michio Kaku, Richard Branson, Magnus Carlson, and Maya Plisetskaya, making sure their wisdom and what they have to teach the world never dies.

On other hand, treating mental illnesses? No way. In order to completely forget some of the worst moments of your life, you also have to forget some of the best. If you want to forget the death of a spouse, well, I've got bad news for you; you've also got to forget the marriage, the honeymoon, the kids, the house, the evenings at the opera, the theatre, the ballet, the nights snuggled up by the fire with hot cocoa. All of that has to go, otherwise that missing death is going to leave a gap that can't be filled by anything else.

Come to that, an even scarier thought is the idea of a government being able to change your opinion if they don't like it.
Vaccaria
author=Sooz
Protip: Science reporting exggerates or just plain misrepresents actual science 99% of the time.

What do you expect? Hell, my batchmate's SIP's just a water wheel with a cellphone charger.

author=InfectionFiles
Isn't this like Eternal Sunshine on a Spotless Mind?

They actually cited/referenced this to the article.

And yep, instead of sleeping in class, I'd rather have some important info downloaded to my brain. TYVM.
Pages: first 1234 next last