SO WHERE ARE THE TACTICS RPGS?

Pages: 1
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Throughout my years being a part of now no-longer-quite-as-niche RPG Maker community, I swear I've only seen... 5-6 people even attempt to make a TRPG with the program.

Worse yet, whenever I do a search for rpgs on Steam, I see a majority of them are Action or Traditional RPGs and maybe one-or-two TRPGs that are completely buried.

Going back to the community, I only know... One script developed for a TRPG system on VXAce, and it doesn't even look like anyone's attempted to make a plugin for the genre through MV.

What's going on here? Why aren't people attempting TRPGs, and why do they seem so scarce in both the commercial market and in the free-to-play/amateur scene? When did Fire Emblem become so fanservicey?

... You can ignore the last question, but I'd like a discussion on this.
unity
You're magical to me.
Seeing Marrend and Kory work on Tactics games has actually gotten me interested. The system they're using seems to be rough to work with, but I may try my hand at making a short simple tactics game with it for fun in the somewhat-near future. I also really like tactics games (I have replayed FFT more times than is normal XD) and would like to see more on RMN!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
they take actual coding know-how and require effort. they're also kind of a dull genre at their core, in my opinion... you need to really kick up the design more than "firaga, curaga, and basic attacks" for it to be worth anybody's time. again, effort and coding know-how. that gubi trpg script you've mentioned is incredibly basic.

effort.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Personally, one of projects is a TRPG, and let me tell you, they are hard as fuck to make.

Craze
they take actual coding know-how and require effort. they're also kind of a dull genre at their core, in my opinion... you need to really kick up the design more than "firaga, curaga, and basic attacks" for it to be worth anybody's time. again, effort and coding know-how. that gubi trpg script you've mentioned is incredibly basic.

effort.

Yeah. I'm using the GubiD script. I came up with an idea to make my TRPG a little more exciting, in that the majority of my creatures are going to be monster factories (for those who don't understand that principle, a monster factory is a creature that regularly summon monsters to help them). In spite GubiD's script having a mechanic that should let this happen, it doesn't work, so I'm having to use the regular VX Ace script calls to bypass GubiD's system. Also, it won't let you set obstacles, or mines (which I'm figuring out workarounds for that, too) I'm finding that there's a lot that script series (There's something like 50 of them) that really limits you. It's really become an exercise in learning how to cheat the system.

I'd abandon the project if I didn't think I had a really good story that a tactics system would fit really well.

So, Ratty, that's why you don't see that many TRPGs. They're little abusive bastards that like to bitch-slap their devs on a minute to minute basis, and it just isn't worth the impending nervous breakdown to most devs to try and make one.
unity
You're magical to me.
Wow. Major props for keeping at it, piano! That game sounds like it'll be awesome! ^_^ I hate that the script system is so hard to use, though :/
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Like piano & craze have said, tactics games seem like a lot work. You have at least as many complex systems as RPGs, but no standard & well-supported engine like RPG Maker to back you up. That - along with the fact that they're more niche than RPGs - is probably the reason that we don't see too many.

Jumping off what Craze has said, tactics games have kind of lackluster gameplay, IMO. The FF Tactics games, along with the Fire Emblem series, are fun, but they do get pretty long and grindy after a while, and fights can be brutally long.

I would love to see more mini-tactics games, and especially on mobile devices. I think the medium works well for it. They're turn-based, so the limited controls are much less of a problem - in fact, selecting a character and an action is pretty easy with just touches! I'd love to see some speed-tactics games. Maybe something like Binding of Isaac, but where each enemy room is, say, a 3v3 mini-tactics game that takes 30-60 seconds tops.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Dyhalto
._.

What do you mean by this?

@pianotm: My condolences. That seems like a real bitch to work with. The only other program that makes tactics games, that I know of, was some reaaaallly old engine that lets you customize party stats but didn't offer much else in terms of flexibility. Sucks. :(

@slash: It'd definitely work well for mobile, but I kind of think trying to speed it up would kind of water down the game. Tactics games are about careful planning and positioning, typically relying on using the level layout and the positions of your opponent to your advantage. It's inherently as methodical as a game of chess, and trying to speed that up kind of runs the risk of ruining that strategic element imo.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Ratty524
author=Dyhalto
._.

I'm guessing this might have something to do with it :P
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Ratty524
@slash:It'd definitely work well for mobile, but I kind of think trying to speed it up would kind of water down the game. Tactics games are about careful planning and positioning, typically relying on using the level layout and the positions of your opponent to your advantage. It's inherently as methodical as a game of chess, and trying to speed that up kind of runs the risk of ruining that strategic element imo.

True - I think you'd have to design a system that was fun to play sort of quickly. It'd be more like speed Chess, although obviously a lot less complex.

I wonder, if you could build a dungeon-esque mini-tactics game... randomly generated dungeons, discoverable upgrades, mini-battles in rooms with random terrain you can strategize with, and a focus on being efficient with your resources. Maybe!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
It's certainly been a learning experience just figuring out how GubiD's script works! As such, it's not my intention to break the limits with the one project that I'm working on. If that makes it on the simple side (at least as far as tactics games go), so be it.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
oddRABBIT
This is a tactics game. Plus, it got featured!

I was just abotu to post this for piano, haha. STAY DETERMINED (or not, spend your energy how you will)
author=unity
author=Ratty524
author=Dyhalto
._.
I'm guessing this might have something to do with it :P

I could've been done by now if I worked as hard as I do now, several years ago o|^|_ Boo hoo
Pages: 1