UNITES STATES PREPARES FOR MARTIAL LAW ON OCT. 1ST. APPARENTLY.

Pages: 1
Does this means the terrorists won? Because I'll tell you, after hearing that, I don't think I've ever been this terrified in my life.
Guh'ment is stationing active military forces inside the country, to protect against terrorists.

Besides all the obvious liberal fears of people who are told to shoot people the government doesn't like being inside a supposedly free country, the timing is just so damn close to an election that it's hard to shake the feeling that they're trying to make people scared enough not to vote for Obama.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Wow. Weird, I couldn't find news about this in many other places.
Might be a hoax. I didn't recognize the news source. That would ease my mind.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Cool story bro, too bad this isn't ever going to happen.

We don't have the resources right now to declare a state of martial law. It requires a lot of military power, especially for a nation this big. With our military scattered all over the globe, we'd have to abandon a lot of bases which is something that would never happen because there are assets that the US cares too much about.

There's some serious shit deals going down right now, but this isn't one of them
Honestly, even though I admit the chances of FULL OUT MILITARY STATE are rather slim, assuming that this link is real, it's really not much better. It seems to be a reality, dawg.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
http://www.democracynow.org/

Democracy Now! is a legit news source, though they're kind of the tinhat wearin' liberal folk.
author=Magi link=topic=2041.msg33884#msg33884 date=1222317522

We don't have the resources right now to declare a state of martial law. It requires a lot of military power, especially for a nation this big. With our military scattered all over the globe, we'd have to abandon a lot of bases which is something that would never happen because there are assets that the US cares too much about.

There's some serious shit deals going down right now, but this isn't one of them
The problem isn't "ooh, martial law," because obviously that's an exageration. The problem is that this is yet one more example of the eroding freedom of the nation. Today it's deploying military units to places within the nation, tomorrow it's using them to break up assemblies that go too long, and the day after that it's hunting down political dissidents because they voted the wrong way in the last election.

Every time we let the government get away with this stuff just because "Oh well, it's not THAT big a deal," we get closer and closer to a dystopia. The right loves to throw around their "Freedom isn't free" buzzwords, and they're right: the cost of freedom is constant vigilance and sometimes, sacrificing your security in favor of liberty. I will gladly suffer the danger of terrorist attacks if it means I don't have to deal with our own soldiers being taught to eye us as potential threats.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Just to be clear, while still terrifying in its own right, what was discussed in that news clip is NOT AT ALL the same thing as martial law.

Nonetheless....this worries me.
Yeah, this has been the first i've heard of it. Pretty interesting news.
Honest;y, I don't knwo why, but this doesn't worry me... I can't shake the feeling that it isn;t happening even if it is a legit source.

Meh, may be the feeling of the fact that it is either unnecessary or that it won't do anything, whether or not it does happen... guess nothing to do but wait and see. Why worry over what we cannot control directly.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I don't buy it either.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Shadowtext link=topic=2041.msg33887#msg33887 date=1222318189
author=Magi link=topic=2041.msg33884#msg33884 date=1222317522

The problem isn't "ooh, martial law," because obviously that's an exageration. The problem is that this is yet one more example of the eroding freedom of the nation. Today it's deploying military units to places within the nation, tomorrow it's using them to break up assemblies that go too long, and the day after that it's hunting down political dissidents because they voted the wrong way in the last election.

Every time we let the government get away with this stuff just because "Oh well, it's not THAT big a deal," we get closer and closer to a dystopia. The right loves to throw around their "Freedom isn't free" buzzwords, and they're right: the cost of freedom is constant vigilance and sometimes, sacrificing your security in favor of liberty. I will gladly suffer the danger of terrorist attacks if it means I don't have to deal with our own soldiers being taught to eye us as potential threats.
The government limits the rights and say of the shrinking middle class all the time. It's been on a downward spiral for nearly a decade, and seeing as how the U.S. is practically a plutocracy I don't see the little guy having much hope or say in what's really going on here.

Just wait until after the elections are over to begin worrying if you're that type. If McCain wins then it basically means democracy is a failed experiment and we need to move on.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Max McGee link=topic=2041.msg33888#msg33888 date=1222318714
Just to be clear, while still terrifying in its own right, what was discussed in that news clip is NOT AT ALL the same thing as martial law.

Nonetheless....this worries me.

Whether or not this story is actually true... assuming it is... you don't think that using an active military unit inside the united states as riot control is martial law? What do you consider martial law then?
Democracy Now! is a great news source. They have a progressive bias, but it's great to see what stories they run as opposed to the mainstream American news sources, and it's also great to show how the supposed "liberal" mainstream news sources are in actuality right wing.

The only problem is whoever put the news on Youtube made one of those "SHOCK VALUE" titles that gets people's attention. It's scary shit, I never get why people find the need to exaggerate things that only discredit them.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Martial law is a state of millitary rule by fiat or de factor where democracy and civil rights are entirely suspended. Using the army for riot control is not the same as martial law.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
It's "de facto." Also, I'm pretty certain Mog is using the term subjectively. As in, this is a form, perhaps lesser, of martial law. Or, a precursor to it.

I'm not sure it's worth arguing semantics. The bottom line is this is a totally new precedent. More and more freedoms are eroding away.
Pages: 1