SO, THEY DROPPED THE FIRST GHOSTBUSTERS TRAILER.

Pages: first 12345 next last

Personally, I'm really not digging it at all. I've had a pretty open mind about the movie thus far even though I feel like they did an absolute shit job with the casting (there are much funnier actresses out there who would've fit the bill perfectly). This trailer just left me with a straight face. I recognize the parts that were supposed to be the "funny parts" of the trailer, but I feel like they felt extremely flat.

Despite the internet being extremely vocal against the movie, I was still hoping for the best. After seeing the trailer though, I just don't have any interest in the movie. If those were the scenes that they felt would generate hype for the movie in a debut trailer, then I don't feel like it's going to be worth my time. I'm a big Ghostbusters fan who REALLY wanted to like this, but I just can't. Hell, I even love Ghostbusters II despite how it generally seems to be frowned upon and deemed vastly inferior to the original movie. I think that they could've done so much more, and they could have had a much better cast of actresses (Wiig is the only one who I think will "fit" the role by the end of the movie). Ah well.

What do you guys think? How big are you guys on the Ghostbusters franchise and do you think this is shaping up to be a worthy successor to the old movies?
unity
You're magical to me.
My whole family was in love with the Ghostbusters back in the day and I really enjoyed the movies and the cartoon. I dunno, while the trailer could have been better, I'm still really pumped for this movie. Tho I think the new Ghostbuster outfits and the car don't look near as good as they did in the original XD
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
... Ugh.

Okay, I like the APPROACH they are taking with it, but lord, this just solidifies that Sony Pictures just can't make anything actually funny anymore (if they're Adam Sandler movies are anything to go by).

The performances by the actors in the trailer don't really say anything to me, and all the gags I just saw felt really flat and by-the-book. The added "edge" this movie seems to pack on (judging by the trailer) doesn't help, either. I don't think I've ever been so unenthusiastic for a reboot since the 2014 version of "Annie." (though that movie wasn't bad)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
This looks like the same movie as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.
author=LockeZ
This looks like the same movie as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

I still haven't watched that, and I gave up on watching any new Transformers after the third one (which I only watched out of sheer boredom). I don't want to expose myself to any further childhood-destroying travesties that Hollywood pumps out.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
My goodness, this looks stupid. And I agree; Wiig is the only one I even remotely like (and that's what I suspected from the beginning). I had really high hopes for it, too, especially after Bill Murray agreed to take a role. I didn't know if that was a debunked rumor so I looked for it before posting here. Turns out he only did it because women were asking him.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It doesn't look bad. I probably won't see it in theaters or go out of my way to see it or anything.
it feels like a gimmicky SNL type thing though
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
I didn't even crack a smile while watching that video. But to be honest, I was never interested in Ghostbusters even when I was a kid, so... :/
I'll embrace my hipsterness and say ahead of time this movie's going to suck.
I thought it was really good.
Though I'm not into Ghostbusters very much (the title song being the only thing I care about), I feel that this movie should still be supported. If it were to flop, it could mean that Hollywood thinks women as main characters don't sell.
They already have that opinion. Otherwise, the Marvel franchise would've had a Black Widow movie or two by now.
author=Dyhalto
They already have that opinion. Otherwise, the Marvel franchise would've had a Black Widow movie or two by now.

Well, to be fair, Captain Marvel is coming in about two years time or so.
author=Shinan
I thought it was really good.
I've never seen the old Ghostbusters movies, so to me this was just the perfect excuse to have a little marathon with my friends in the Summer.

I haven't watched the trailer, FYI. Probably not going to. I remember first becoming interested in this due to the idea of an all female leading cast and because of the cool character design on the main four.

If nothing else, it's an excuse to go have a good time with my friends.
Part of me hopes that this is one of those "highlight all the gags in the whole movie" trailers. Because if the whole movie is gags and slapstick, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed :l
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=LightningLord2
Though I'm not into Ghostbusters very much (the title song being the only thing I care about), I feel that this movie should still be supported. If it were to flop, it could mean that Hollywood thinks women as main characters don't sell.
Ummm...
Err...
Yeah...
No

Those are just a few examples, I know, but you are both over-exaggerating the implications of this film's demise and underestimating the presence women have in film. Not saying it's current state is fine, it could always be better, but films with a strong female cast is actually nothing truly new, and if this film fails, I highly doubt it would leave a negative impression on female-oriented films in Hollywood. I'd be irrelevant at best.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Thanks Ratty, was going to respond to that but didn't for sounding like a dick.
but yes, near full women cast has worked a lot and i sincerely doubt if this movie flops(which it probably won't in the financial sense at least) that it will affect the womens movement in the entertainment industry.
lol, apparently people should force themselves to support things they may not even enjoy because "identity politics"? Ok.

Anyway. I was never big on the Ghostbusters. Pretty much the only thing that I liked where the ghosts. And the special effects in this movie don't look too bad so I may watch it just for that. If I enjoyed Pixels I doubt this is going to disappoint me... This kind of humor that relies in silliness and awkwardness does not exactly make me go "haha", but then again, neither does most humor. I can understand people's complains about it though. I merely hope they saved the best (worst) bits of it for the trailer.
I reckon it's going to be a lot of fun. Before the trailer landed, there was tons of backlash towards the very idea of a all female cast and it's association with Ghostbusters. However the thing is that if you hate a film before you've seen any footage, then you'll disregard it once it's been shown regardless of the actual merits.

With all that said, the trailer works well for introducing the audience to the characters, visuals and story beats. The overall style looks like It's more inspired by the animated series than the original film, basically straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon and I did chuckle a few times "Is it the wig or the hat?"

Along with the modernized Ghostbusters theme, the deal breaker for me was when all four of them fired their proton packs for the first time, had major goosebumps there. I'm really hoping the film becomes a success, just so I can turn around and tell my friends "Aha! I told you so!"

Can't wait to see it :)

Pages: first 12345 next last