SO, THEY DROPPED THE FIRST GHOSTBUSTERS TRAILER.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
holy shit that looks so bad
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=StarSkipp
I reckon it's going to be a lot of fun. Before the trailer landed, there was tons of backlash towards the very idea of a all female cast and it's association with Ghostbusters. However the thing is that if you hate a film before you've seen any footage, then you'll disregard it once it's been shown regardless of the actual merits.

To be fair, this thread is the first time I've ever heard about the new Ghostbusters having a female cast, and the first time I saw the trailer in general, and I still wasn't particularly impressed.

I hope the performances and jokes that are shown outside of the trailer make up for it.
author=Ratty524
To be fair, this thread is the first time I've ever heard about the new Ghostbusters having a female cast, and the first time I saw the trailer in general, and I still wasn't particularly impressed.

I hope the performances and jokes that are shown outside of the trailer make up for it.

This. The trailer is .. I mean .. uh.. nothing outstanding in any way, it's not funny or witty, and the action seems to be "alright". So.. there is nothing for me in it with what I have seen, without any prior knowledge or bias.
I saw the trailer and knew nothing about the backlash and it looked really...meh...

The jokes are unfunny and stereotype black girl because god forbid one is science-smart? XD
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Archeia_Nessiah
The jokes are unfunny and stereotype black girl because god forbid one is science-smart? XD

Yes to this. I seriously want blacks and other POC to be in more roles than just "street-smart dude with attitude" and the guy that dies first in monster movies.
I think they put more time thinking about how they could make it so that feminists would watch the movie than actually making a good movie judging by the trailer.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=SnowOwl
I think they put more time thinking about how they could make it so that feminists would watch the movie than actually making a good movie judging by the trailer.
what?
This trailer does have a very big 'girl-power' feel to it, but that would probably be okay, if the movie were Powerpuff Girls. It doesn't really fit with Ghostbusters.

Maybe it's just me, but this trailer makes me think it's a movie directed mostly toward kids. I'm assuming that where the lack-luster humor part comes in?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=SnowOwl

I've heard a lot of complaints from them about it, so no, that's definitely not it.
I wish people were more angry about nostalgia cash grabs than the casting choices. The girl power thing is a lame angle, but Kirsten Wiig and Kate McKinnon are great, and Leslie Jones is an apt choice for her role (it's the only character she plays, but she's good at it). I haven't seen anything with Melissa McCarthy, so the jury's out on her, but, yeah: I don't mind the cast, I just wish people wouldn't see shit like Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Robo Cop, Conan the Barbarian, Total Recall, G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, etc. and let that shit sleep in the 80s and 90s.

There's such a thing as a good remake--John Carpenter's version of The Thing, for instance--but I'm not seeing that kind of inspiration here as much as I'm seeing a studio wanting to make a shit ton of money--and they will. And there will probably be a sequel.
author=Housekeeping
I haven't seen anything with Melissa McCarthy, so the jury's out on her

That is probably for the best. She's pretty much either one of two things in every role I've ever seen her in - annoying or underwhelming.
author=Housekeeping
I wish people were more angry about nostalgia cash grabs than the casting choices. The girl power thing is a lame angle, but Kirsten Wiig and Kate McKinnon are great, and Leslie Jones is an apt choice for her role (it's the only character she plays, but she's good at it). I haven't seen anything with Melissa McCarthy, so the jury's out on her, but, yeah: I don't mind the cast, I just wish people wouldn't see shit like Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Robo Cop, Conan the Barbarian, Total Recall, G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, etc. and let that shit sleep in the 80s and 90s.

There's such a thing as a good remake--John Carpenter's version of The Thing, for instance--but I'm not seeing that kind of inspiration here as much as I'm seeing a studio wanting to make a shit ton of money--and they will. And there will probably be a sequel.

You mean like how 10-20 years ago we got remakes from 60s and 70s movies and TV shows? (and how 10-20 years from now we will see movie remakes of shows from 00s and 10s?). Me, I'm still waiting for my gritty Teddy Ruxpin reboot and live action Gummi Bears movie.

A lot of people say they want this version to follow the lore of the original, but the 80s Ghostbusters didn't even have Tom Bombadil in it.
author=Solitayre
author=SnowOwl
I've heard a lot of complaints from them about it, so no, that's definitely not it.

They can't even do one thing right. Hollywood plz...
It would be really cool (to me, anyway) if they made a Ghostbusters movie based on the cartoon rather than the old movies, since that's what I'm more familiar with. And it had a bunch of interesting stories too. Probably my favorite was the one involving that one troll-looking creature that lived in a dimension full of doors and could enter every kid's room in the world through their closet. That stuff blew my mind as a child... Or what about that episode with a good ghost dog that was being blamed for various shenanigans, but at the end sacrificed itself to help catch the real ghost responsible for all the trouble. I thought that was pretty noble. ;_;7
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Housekeeping
stuffs...Jem and the Holograms...stuffs

You wish less people would have seen Jem and the Holograms? Isn't that the movie that made something like 75,000 dollars in theaters?

Kentona
Tom Bombadil

You know, I'm not entirely sure that qualifies as a comparison.
Craze
Solitayre
SnowOwl

i haven't cared enough to read the backlash, but i was gonna say anyway that this is most definitely not a feminist-minded film lol
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=Craze
i haven't cared enough to read the backlash, but i was gonna say anyway that this is most definitely not a feminist-minded film lol

but it has women in prominent roles, it has to be pandering to feminists
see also, mad max
author=ESBY
author=Craze
see also, mad max

I'm sure it was just a coincidence that they changed the cast from all male into all female, right?
They are so bad at pandering that even though they try, they still fail by making the characters such obvious stereotypes. The goal wasn't to make a feminist movie, but you can't tell me it never entered the mind of the idiots to pander to feminists when they changed the cast from all-male to all-female.
"Ermagerd lets get those feminists to blog about this movie by removing all males! Feminists god alot of dosh, just look at all their mugs that say "fuck males", those must cost alot."
Craze
snowowl............
unity
You're magical to me.
author=SnowOwl
author=ESBY
author=Craze
see also, mad max
I'm sure it was just a coincidence that they changed the cast from all male into all female, right?
They are so bad at pandering that even though they try, they still fail by making the characters such obvious stereotypes. The goal wasn't to make a feminist movie, but you can't tell me it never entered the mind of the idiots to pander to feminists when they changed the cast from all-male to all-female.
"Ermagerd lets get those feminists to blog about this movie by removing all males! Feminists god alot of dosh, just look at all their mugs that say "fuck males", those must cost alot."

Yes, Hollywood is well known for pandering to feminists and having females in action leads. They're the rule, not the exception! We're drowning in female super hero movies. When will the males get their fair share!?!?!?!?!

Seriously, though, I understand why people are upset given that there were no females in the original cast and now they're all ladies. But I'm honestly taking any female leads in the movie world as I could get. Five years ago it was considered that any movie that wasn't a chick flick with a female lead would instantly tank.